Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

West Brom (A) - 13/09/2020 - Match Thread

2 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

They shouldn't be. Sports should be free of political discourse, really. Especially they shouldn't be promoting a group whom, in the UK, are borderline fringe activists. 

Sky are aligning themselves with a group whose UK chapter have been publicly supportive of an anti semitic regime. 

This ****ing about with the 'taking a knee' - meaningless gesture politics for the most of them - is already becoming a farce. 

Do you remember when sport assisted in ending apartheid?

Sport is politics

• Like 4

Just now, RumbleFox said:

Mate calm down. “Black Lives Matter” is a statement which is important and timely. It has nothing to do with the fringe people you mention. Anyone who thinks the sentence “Black people’s lives matter” is offensive or “political correctness” must have a very weird outlook on life. I’m pleased to see it being discussed and honestly I can’t  imagine a world where it ruins my enjoyment of the game? 

Oh I ENTIRELY agree that black lives matter. 

But this isn't just about parity between races. It's snowballed into a political movement and the entire tenet of sports, locally and internationally, should be apolitical. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Blue and white said:

It should have ended after the first week of games after lockdown, I don't get why are they carrying it on?

To keep hammering home the point. They could have just stopped and you could just forget all about it, or they carry on and the thing you love make you either think again about your stance or walk away to avoid having to face up to it.

*when I say you, I don't mean you, I mean people with racist beliefs.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Mate calm down. “Black Lives Matter” is a statement which is important and timely. It has nothing to do with the fringe people you mention. Anyone who thinks the sentence “Black people’s lives matter” is offensive or “political correctness” must have a very weird outlook on life. I’m pleased to see it being discussed and honestly I can’t  imagine a world where it ruins my enjoyment of the game? 

Not to take away from the match but of course black lives matter as do all lives, for football it would have been better kick racism out campaign. Britain has come along way in terms of equality and black lives matter protests has dome more to divide us than unite us, this is why people here find it slightly offensive. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ozleicester said:

do you agree with the sporting efforts that helped end apartheid? 

Sport has influenced the world in many ways, good and bad.

The 1936 Olmpics, the Hungarian Revolution, the 1995 Rugby World Cup, the Windies 'blackwash' team...

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

It really really really shouldn't be. 

Hard disagree. Sportspeople have an elevated platform they can use to try to change things - and as was pointed out that has already in the past been used to make positive change - there's absolutely nothing wrong with that - and it's a relatively minor part of the matchday experience so even if somehow the idea that footballers would like to support the message of black lives mattering is weird to you, it's literally just a short, small thing at the beginning of games.

• Thanks 1

Just now, foxile5 said:

What particular point are you driving at? The South African cricket team selection process? 

No. I don't agree with it. 

have you heard of apartheid?... im not being smart, a serious question, because if not you need to look at what sport did for equality in South Africa

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Not to take away from the match but of course black lives matter as do all lives, for football it would have been better kick racism out campaign. Britain has come along way in terms of equality and black lives matter protests has dome more to divide us than unite us, this is why people here find it slightly offensive. 

Mate the reason “Britain has come a long way” is entirely BECAUSE of movements like this, not despite them. X 

• Thanks 1

Well so far, the pre-match thread alone has managed to invite politics, Demarai Gray is shit, unsubstantiated conspiratorial bollocks, the usual armchair management and dire predictions but as yet no hatred of Ben Chilwell.

Nonetheless, I have high hopes for the imminent match thread - particularly when we are two nil down in the first ten minutes :ph34r: