Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Youri Tielemans

22 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

what if he decides he wants to join real and his people tell all interested clubs that he will only sign for real.  Real then offer us £20m and say that’s their ceiling.  No other clubs make offers because they know YT won’t agree to sign for them. 

Tielemans tells the club that he’s relaxed. They either accept the £20m or he will see out his contract and decide on his future the following summer (real already agreed with him that they will wait for him on a free ). 

is that impossible ??

Not impossible but I doubt we'd be played like that. 

Just now, st albans fox said:

How do you stop it? 

I've thought about this a bunch.  The way transfers work it seems like it's all set up for big clubs to get good players from smaller clubs at reduced fees by the player only agreeing to go to that club.  The transfer fee should be tied somehow to the wages the player's getting from the new club.  So if you're paying somebody 250k per week there's essentially a minimum price the transfer can be based on that.  

50 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

If Tielemans goes next summer, he will have played for us for three and a half years. A decent length of time, considering I thought we had no chance of keeping him after his loan. Plus at least two top five finishes and an FA cup! It we win europa or finish top four, he may stay another season, but very happy with his contribution if not!

I have a feeling we'll have seen his best years, he's averaged 50-60 games a season since he was 16 and is often noticeably leggy, I won't be surprised if his legs have completely gone by the time he's 28.

Let’s not start now turning on him with comments about form or being easy to replace - typical of some on here to then be victims.

However the club absolutely want champions league and it could be part of his advisors trying to negotiate his contract up!

if not and he wants to move on then no player is bigger than the club and whether Jan or Summer we will sell and go again. Personally he has a pivotal role with great responsibility here and I think another two years would benefit him before a move as not all clubs would build around him like we have plus he still has areas to develop. 

Hopefully it’s advisors negotiating but I absolutely trust our owners who will manage this situation - time will tell between now and Xmas I think!

10 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Why would he burn his bridges so badly?

he wouldn’t be the first player to do this and if he continued to give 100%, would the fanbase turn on him ?  I doubt it - the club are at fault for not insisting on a deal which meant he signed for five years in the first place ……I’m sure a creative arrangement could have been found  where a fifth year with preset wage increase ahead of it could have been automatically claimed by the club if certain targets were met like EL qualification 

Just now, st albans fox said:

he wouldn’t be the first player to do this and if he continued to give 100%, would the fanbase turn on him ?  I doubt it - the club are at fault for not insisting on a deal which meant he signed for five years in the first place ……I’m sure a creative arrangement could have been found  where a fifth year with preset wage increase ahead of it could have been automatically claimed by the club if certain targets were met like EL qualification 

Ah, but this isn’t the direction of travel on professional footballers contracts. Seems like that without protection for clubs, very short contracts and large signing on fees will be the norm. Youri has done well for us, and we for him, and I hope we can get a decent fee next summer, but we will see.

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Ah, but this isn’t the direction of travel on professional footballers contracts. Seems like that without protection for clubs, very short contracts and large signing on fees will be the norm. Youri has done well for us, and we for him, and I hope we can get a decent fee next summer, but we will see.

I occasionally see the ‘big clubs’ invoking an additional year option on a contract. I don’t recall the smaller clubs doing this. 

I agree that four years has become more common over the past year ….

22 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

Let’s not start now turning on him with comments about form or being easy to replace - typical of some on here to then be victims.

However the club absolutely want champions league and it could be part of his advisors trying to negotiate his contract up!

if not and he wants to move on then no player is bigger than the club and whether Jan or Summer we will sell and go again. Personally he has a pivotal role with great responsibility here and I think another two years would benefit him before a move as not all clubs would build around him like we have plus he still has areas to develop. 

Hopefully it’s advisors negotiating but I absolutely trust our owners who will manage this situation - time will tell between now and Xmas I think!

I used to worry bout losing a player of his quality but I’m only going on what I have watched the last few games. The man C game especially he looked quite far off the pace. Sometimes there comes a time when it’s in both parties best interest to get a move and this looks like one of those times.

32 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

How do you stop it? 

It's quite rare for a highly sought after young player to be courted by only one club and for the player to want only that club and that club only. Even if a player harbours a dream for playing for a particular club the demand from elsewhere will still drive the price somewhat. Any club that wants him from the PL will pay through the nose.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's quite rare for a highly sought after young player to be courted by only one club and for the player to want only that club and that club only. Even if a player harbours a dream for playing for a particular club the demand from elsewhere will still drive the price somewhat. Any club that wants him from the PL will pay through the nose.

I don’t buy that argument in my example. A Real or Bayern could well be enough to prevent anyone else taking an interest.  He could easily decide 

that 175/200k from one of them is more attractive than 250k from a prem team. 

Two seasons he's seen us implode at the last minute regarding top 4 and CL football. Hes not staying here. Either we sell him at the end of the season at break even or small profit, or he leaves for free. In fact his agents probably touting his services all over Europe right now.

Pretty gutting, but I guess we've got a year now to get used to the idea of him somewhere else, and lets be honest I think we all knew it was a matter of time.

Hopefully we get an extra couple of years extension for him with a release clause for decent money, £60m or so.

Anything more seems like it will mean we lose him for less.

14 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

I used to worry bout losing a player of his quality but I’m only going on what I have watched the last few games. The man C game especially he looked quite far off the pace. Sometimes there comes a time when it’s in both parties best interest to get a move and this looks like one of those times.

I thought he and Ndidi were outstanding - the level of press Man City applied yet they remained calm composed and kept the ball at times was unbelievable.

To see us continue playing under pressure is testament to Youri and BR who continually talks about being brave,

it’s interesting how we see games differently but I do agree he has even more in him!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sm1 said:

Two seasons he's seen us implode at the last minute regarding top 4 and CL football. Hes not staying here. Either we sell him at the end of the season at break even or small profit, or he leaves for free. In fact his agents probably touting his services all over Europe right now.

He's been part of that implosion though. No criticism leveled against him, just saying he's not been a bystander or had it done to him.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

How do you know the club didn't insist on a 5-year contract? I imagine that's probably what the club wanted. For it to have ended up a 4-year deal suggests to me that it was a deal-breaker. I don't know how you can say the club are at fault when you don't know the ins and outs. It might have been 4 years or nothing at all for all we know.

27 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Disagree with this completely, Kante left when we had qualified for the Champions League, Mahrez wanted to go that summer by all accounts too.

We are not a huge club, we are getting bigger all the time, but World class players will want to join the biggest clubs in the wold.

Evan with Champions League for a couple of seasons in a row we are still not that, look at Atlanta, Leipzig type teams. They still lose the best players to bigger club. 
Youri knows Manchester United, Liverpool and Real Madrid are sniffing around and they are elite level clubs. 
He is a top draw player and a huge lose if he does go, but he’s not the first top level player we’ve had here and won’t be the last.
Finally, let’s not get annoyed with players who are being honest. I hate players who come out and say they love the club and are here forever and then leave at the first opportunity.

I commend Youri for being open and honest with everyone and if he does leave at some point in the near future we should all wish him well and thank him for his wonderful service to the club.

Re-read my post. I was saying that he would have signed the deal if we had made CL but not that this would have guaranteed him staying forever.

But it would have bought us more time, given us more financial security and lessened the urgency in his mind for him to leave. If we got top 4, he signs and likely feels “I’m playing champions league football so no need to rush anywhere, if a massive club comes in then I’d like to take the opportunity”.

Now we haven’t it’s “open to everything”. Which he is well within his right to say. He’s a magnificent player and I don’t doubt that he would never not give 100% or be a consummate professional. But unfortunately we are where we are as we didn’t secure that CL football.

2 hours ago, Bats8711 said:

I've thought about this a bunch.  The way transfers work it seems like it's all set up for big clubs to get good players from smaller clubs at reduced fees by the player only agreeing to go to that club.  The transfer fee should be tied somehow to the wages the player's getting from the new club.  So if you're paying somebody 250k per week there's essentially a minimum price the transfer can be based on that.  

You need to think about this a bunch more.

• Haha 2