Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

32 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Blimey. 

You'd think we were already out of Europe and in a relegation battle with a fully fit squad all season.

I didn't go as far as to call him clueless like other posters, but we're right to ask questions. I thought Barnes or Under should have come on, but that's only my opinion.

Coming along after we got a 90th minute winner due to a Sheffield United mistake and quoting everyone doesn't suddenly mean we have to be happy with the performance. We are right to ask questions about what we're doing on the training ground in the week with regards to set pieces, both attacking and defending them. We are right to question why certain players seem to get singled out with their performances but others are given a pass by the manager.

38 minutes ago, Webbo said:

3rd in the league not good enough?

Of course it is, but let’s see where we are in May shall we. People have got a right to question a manager who’s paid £10 million quid a year when it’s the same mistakes and errors being made nearly every week. It’s an emotional game and people are frustrated at a very poor performance on Monday night & again an average performance today. Let’s not forget Rodgers has got form for not being able to get this team out of a slump. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I didn't go as far as to call him clueless like other posters, but we're right to ask questions. I thought Barnes or Under should have come on, but that's only my opinion.

Coming along after we got a 90th minute winner due to a Sheffield United mistake and quoting everyone doesn't suddenly mean we have to be happy with the performance. We are right to ask questions about what we're doing on the training ground in the week with regards to set pieces, both attacking and defending them. We are right to question why certain players seem to get singled out with their performances but others are given a pass by the manager.

I called him clueless and will own up to that but I think I should add more context to what I said. When we are in poor runs of form he really struggles to break that run and for lack of a better word when it comes to that he does appear to be clueless. When he gets things right its great and we fly but when things are going wrong he just can’t seem to add that bit of nous to get the team out of the situation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dames said:

I called him clueless and will own up to that but I think I should add more context to what I said. When we are in poor runs of form he really struggles to break that run and for lack of a better word when it comes to that he does appear to be clueless. When he gets things right its great and we fly but when things are going wrong he just can’t seem to add that bit of nous to get the team out of the situation.

A lot gets posted on here in the heat of the moment (including my comments earlier), so sometimes they will get taken out of context.

I think I have to sometimes remind myself that I thought 7th and a EL run would be a great season, so we're way ahead of schedule. The set piece issue needs sorting though, we can't keep conceding one every other game.

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Blimey. 

You'd think we were already out of Europe and in a relegation battle with a fully fit squad all season.

I think you're missing the point, I can remember being top of the Premiership with Peter Taylor but most people could see that we were there more by fortune rather than astute management. Would you rush to resign Taylor because he once afforded us a lofty position?

Many noted that when Rodgers started weaving his magic before Christmas with his 'philosophy', team selections, tactics and substitutions, it all started to go horribly wrong. Would he change? There's an undeniable history to him.

We won today despite the manager and not because of him or even partly because of him. His substitutions were abysmal. His previous tactics against Man City were spot on because simply put, they were the only ones he could use really compared to last seasons 'no tactics' approach, it took no tactical genius and Man City played to our strengths. Leeds played straight into our hands also didn't they. Our losses have mostly been down to his poor management and quite a few of our wins have been more than a little fortunate to be polite about it. Quality of play wise, we are in a false position, let's not kid ourselves. Rogers for me, in the words of Freddie Mercury is, The Great Pretender. He's a media darling and in their eyes he can't do anything wrong. He's absolutely blessed, notwithstanding injuries, with the squad of players he has at his disposal compared with previous managers. How many of today's Sheffield United players would get into our team or visa versa? You can lose any game, football's like that, but you can also give yourself the best chance of winning with the right players in their best positions, with logical tactics and reasonable substitutions if required.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

You really aint a fan of Rodgers are you? lol

Taylor had us high up the table after two thirds of a season before it unravelled.

Rodgers has been in charge for 22 months, 59 PL games, winning 30 (more than Ranieri and in a shorter time btw) with a GD of +40

At our best, we've played arguably the greatest football in our history.

He led us to fifth place, one of the highest in our history, and has us third now, despite crippling injuries, and in the UEL knockout rounds.

He has his faults but blimey what more do people genuinely expect from a Leicester mananger ?!?!

Has he not got a far better squad of players though. Your quite right about Peter Taylor but, how long was it from the start of the season and the Norwich game when things started to go wrong under Rodgers? Prior to that, as you rightly say, we played some of our very best football. I would suggest that it was because our players played with freedom, in their correct positions, pressing from the front with fast pacey football. That is until despite all that,  Rodgers had to put his philosophical input and micromanagement into play whilst basking in media glory.

We beat Southampton 9 nil, unheard of! Yet upon their return, a short time later, when they arguably should be worrying about us, Rodgers changed the team, even micromanaging Soyuncu and Evans by swapping them round, why? We had the second best defence in the Premiership. Surely, more of the same would have been the obvious approach. We lost.

Then the mighty Norwich who couldn't score for love nor money but we, a top of the league team with great performances were changed yet again, to combat what exactly?

Man City away. Now there's an opportunity to be a little more pragmatic perhaps? Not a bit of it, I was there, no tactics at all, it was embarrassing. Poor Chilwell on several occasions had DeBreuyne and Marhez running at him, it was a debacle. Liverpool similar. What followed for the rest of the season was embarrassing. Thank goodness the team got us a bag load of points before Christmas because it really was relegation form. 

Our current position is, just in my opinion false compared to the quality of our play. When our injured players get back we of course should do well but I would suggest that's more to do with the quality of the players and not the management decisions being made. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Thank goodness the team got us a bag load of points before Christmas because it really was relegation form. 

We got 23 points in the second half of last season - not great, granted, but over a 38 game season it would be 46 points and we would've finished 13th and stayed up last season by 12 points.

Poor yes, certainly in comparison to the first 19 games, but not quite as bad as relegation form.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

You really aint a fan of Rodgers are you? lol

Taylor had us high up the table after two thirds of a season before it unravelled.

Rodgers has been in charge for 22 months, 59 PL games, winning 30 (more than Ranieri and in a shorter time btw) with a GD of +40

At our best, we've played arguably the greatest football in our history.

He led us to fifth place, one of the highest in our history, and has us third now, despite crippling injuries, and in the UEL knockout rounds.

He has his faults but blimey what more do people genuinely expect from a Leicester mananger ?!?!

I think because of all you’ve listed it makes people more frustrated than they otherwise would be when he gets some basic stuff wrong. 

We have enjoyed some fantastic football over the past 22 months but we’ve also endured some of our worst performances in recent memory too.

Rodgers is clearly capable, its there to see but he also believes his own hype and has a touch too much arrogance that holds him back. The team is in a very strong position and is clearly capable of pushing on but when it finally looks like its going to happen, Brendan starts dropping clangers. 

From today alone, despite the 3 points, there were some glaring, easily fixable tactical errors. 

1) 5 at the back just does not work against the weaker teams in the league, every time this formation has been played against weaker teams its been a struggle. Works great against teams willing to attack you but not teams that will dig in. 

2) Following on from 5 at the back its clear Fuchs is in dire need of a rest. He can fill in occasionally when required and do a good job but to play as much as he as is starting to have an effect on him. Could have easily put a more attacking player on, gone 4 at the back and rested Fuchs. 

3) Maddisons set pieces. I don’t think we’ve ever seen a player so wasteful with set pieces. It would be an easy fix to take him off them and give him the motivation he needs to improve. There is no way Jose would put up with such wasteful set pieces. 

4) Over-reliance on Vardy. This is another issue linked to playing 5 at the back. Vardy needs more support but doesn’t get it when we are playing so many defensive players against teams willing to sit in. Vardy needs someone up there with him dragging defenders, if Vardy is marked out of a game its hard for us to create anything. 

5) Lack of urgency. The style of play is clearly from over coaching. You can see more often than not a player will not take a risk if there is an easy ball on to recycle possession, so many good chances break down because of this philosophy. There needs to be more risks especially against weaker teams because thats how they are broken down, keeping the ball in front of them for 90 minutes makes it too easy. Need to be committing more runners and making more space for attacking players, not getting 30 yards out and checking all the way back to the keeper.

6) Substitutions. Today did not need like for like Subs. Perez was our best player and we did not need another DM coming on when playing 5 at the back. More often than not Brendan gets his subs wrong. He does get them right too but not as often and its cost points in the past. He’s too safety first with his changes. 

Rodgers is clearly capable of improving and if he worked on those 6 things he’d take us up another gear. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Our current position is, just in my opinion false compared to the quality of our play. When our injured players get back we of course should do well but I would suggest that's more to do with the quality of the players and not the management decisions being made. 

In no way wanting to pick a fight with you, as I think we get along ok. But is this line of argument a little bit unfair? The man is damned either way in this situation. And also, if we were playing well but in 15th, would the same counter argument hold as much weight? 

We are all in danger of only seeing this from our own point of view (me included), but we're happy to say 'we were lucky' when we win  but never ever do we say 'we were unlucky' when we really were (Villa semi 2nd leg, to give an example).

Really only quoting you because it's a good example of the difficulty that type of pov creates. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The set piece issue needs sorting though, we can't keep conceding one every other game.

Be nice to look a threat from one at the other end too. Effective use is a good opportunity to create chances in tight games. Ours are so pathetic we may as well just tap it out for a goal kick. 

I think overall Rodgers is doing a good job, I do think we are a bit Jekyll and Hyde, sometime we are a joy to watch but I would challenge anyone who says we are an entertaining side at present. 

Hopefully we will be a bit better to watch when the full squad is fit. 

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think you're missing the point, I can remember being top of the Premiership with Peter Taylor but most people could see that we were there more by fortune rather than astute management. Would you rush to resign Taylor because he once afforded us a lofty position?

Many noted that when Rodgers started weaving his magic before Christmas with his 'philosophy', team selections, tactics and substitutions, it all started to go horribly wrong. Would he change? There's an undeniable history to him.

We won today despite the manager and not because of him or even partly because of him. His substitutions were abysmal. His previous tactics against Man City were spot on because simply put, they were the only ones he could use really compared to last seasons 'no tactics' approach, it took no tactical genius and Man City played to our strengths. Leeds played straight into our hands also didn't they. Our losses have mostly been down to his poor management and quite a few of our wins have been more than a little fortunate to be polite about it. Quality of play wise, we are in a false position, let's not kid ourselves. Rogers for me, in the words of Freddie Mercury is, The Great Pretender. He's a media darling and in their eyes he can't do anything wrong. He's absolutely blessed, notwithstanding injuries, with the squad of players he has at his disposal compared with previous managers. How many of today's Sheffield United players would get into our team or visa versa? You can lose any game, football's like that, but you can also give yourself the best chance of winning with the right players in their best positions, with logical tactics and reasonable substitutions if required.

So basically the wins are due to poor management from others and sheer luck whereas our losses are all down to his mistakes?

Usually agree with a lot of your posts Volpe but the lack of any sort of objectivity makes it seem like your dislike of his arrogance is the main issue here.

Also, the Taylor comparison isn't really a solid one. We were top for one week under Taylor right at the start of his spell here. BR has been in charge for almost two years and we haven't been outside of the top 6 for almost 18 months. He makes mistakes and annoying mistakes but you can't fluke that for that long, Peter Taylor's spell went very wrong, very quickly. Very unfair to compare the two in my opinion.

• Like 1

I think Rodgers ultimate goal would be be to have 2 equally good options for each position, to keep players on their toes. Perez has been left out the side and has come back in and been brilliant today, as has mendy, but there are players who can take their place for granted and have poor games due to complacency, this has let us down before. He needs a player to share the games with vardy because nacho isn't it, same with Maddison and tielemens, I think then we'll de improved performances 

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

In no way wanting to pick a fight with you, as I think we get along ok. But is this line of argument a little bit unfair? The man is damned either way in this situation. And also, if we were playing well but in 15th, would the same counter argument hold as much weight? 

We are all in danger of only seeing this from our own point of view (me included), but we're happy to say 'we were lucky' when we win  but never ever do we say 'we were unlucky' when we really were (Villa semi 2nd leg, to give an example).

Really only quoting you because it's a good example of the difficulty that type of pov creates. 

Good points 👍🏻

3 hours ago, harpendenfox said:

I think lockdown is affecting the mental health of rather too many posters. Top four, qualified for Europe, still enduring an injury crisis. Perhaps it’s just that the moans resonate louder, but it’s reached insane levels this last fortnight.

enjoy the good moments people 

3pts off top spot approaching Christmas - and we’re utter shit?  I’ll take that. 

If we start being consistent and perform week in week out, then champions league might be on. Doubt it though. 

I think what's upsetting most Fans is the simple things to fix that are being ignored game after game. Like the constant poor Corners and Free Kicks. The miss matches at defending corners. 

The poor positioning in the oppositions penalty area .  Unwillingness to take a risk in forward positions. Receiving the Ball facing the wrong way.

Why isn't Brendan sorting these issues out on the training ground or is it he doesn't want to upset senior players.

I think if Brendan sorted some of these constant issues Fans would at least see things are happening and obviously results would improve.

25 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

So basically the wins are due to poor management from others and sheer luck whereas our losses are all down to his mistakes?

Usually agree with a lot of your posts Volpe but the lack of any sort of objectivity makes it seem like your dislike of his arrogance is the main issue here.

Also, the Taylor comparison isn't really a solid one. We were top for one week under Taylor right at the start of his spell here. BR has been in charge for almost two years and we haven't been outside of the top 6 for almost 18 months. He makes mistakes and annoying mistakes but you can't fluke that for that long, Peter Taylor's spell went very wrong, very quickly. Very unfair to compare the two in my opinion.

Sorry, it won't let me put any more reps on today, I did try 👍🏻. You make good points.

Yes, Taylor is a poor direct comparison in some ways. I think what I was trying to say was, I can remember watching the games when we were doing well table position wise and with others around me, whilst the table doesn't lie, we felt that we'd got there whilst playing poorly and surely it couldn't last. The rest is history. 

Likewise currently, whilst the table still doesn't lie, I look at a good many of our wins and think that although a win is a win and 3pts, we weren't very convincing and a times more than a little fortunate, Arsenal being an example, not that they were any great shakes either fairness. 

I suppose if I'm honest, like a few of us perhaps, that despite the very fortunate position we're in, I feel a little frustrated and uneasy about it all. Rodgers, to my mind does some very odd things that you look at and just scratch your head. I suppose you could look at the table in the cold light of day and just say look, that's where we are, so he clear knows what he's doing. But, I think we've been fortunate because those around us in this very odd season have been losing as well. It's the manner of our wins and losses that concern me however and the feeling that there's not going to be much longevity in it. I think we've had a lot of luck in getting where we are as opposed to playing well.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

👍🏻 I think we've been fortunate because those around us in this very odd season have been losing as well. It's the manner of our wins and losses that concern me however and the feeling that there's not going to be much longevity in it. I think we've had a lot of luck in getting where we are as opposed to playing well.

Hard to argue against that. Let's hope your feeling turns out to be wrong.