Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

11 hours ago, Webbo said:

There's a hatred/mistrust of Brendan that I don't really understand. I was one of the earliest anti Puel types but I don't remember at any time him getting the same stick Brendan does. we were told we should be happy with 12th and a lot of people accepted that. We've been in the top 6 solidly for a year, we're through in Europe. It doesn't make sense to me.

That doesn't mean he should be above criticism, but just get it in proportion.

We have been in the top 4 after 45 of our last 48 games. (After losing away at Man Utd last September and then the last two game weeks of last season).

Every English club other than Man City, Liverpool and potentially Spurs would have him in a heartbeat.

Edited by AKCJ

6 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

His buyout in his new contract is absolutely enormous too.

I can see them going for either a freebie (Favre, Sarri, Allegri, Vieira) or someone cheaper than it would be to get Rodgers (Atalanta manager, Martinez from Belgium, Hasenhuttl etc.)

Edited by moore_94

This apart from a couple more significant signings is now Brendans team that hes built over 2 years, has surpassed the remit of his contract. We had a gut wrenching finish and he would have felt that the same as the players.

We are sitting 3rd in the PL having been seeded as a top team in the UCL we are likely to progress,  add that to the fact he will go to work in one of the best sporting facilities in Europe with wealthy owners who have invested in the city..

It's a definite no 

• Like 2

It's impossible to know whether he'd go or not but it would cost a fortune to buy him out, the contract they'd have to offer him would be eye watering and he's got it pretty good here atm. I'm not too worried. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

It's impossible to know whether he'd go or not but it would cost a fortune to buy him out, the contract they'd have to offer him would be eye watering and he's got it pretty good here atm. I'm not too worried. 

Been mentioned a few times now, but how big is this buy out?

Surely he'd at least want to stick on for the rest of the season? Either a top 4 finish or UEL finalists (/champions) would look amazing on his CV, and providing the injury situation is a bit kinder to us I don't think either is entirely out of reach at this moment in time

*Please don't quote me when we get dumped out the UEL at the next round and finish 9th thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Seriously? The bloke got absolutely slaughtered week in and week out. SOME of the criticism of Rodgers is justified, you can't go the stretch of games end of last season and not expect that. But, that has to be tempered with the stuff that went before it (and after now). 

Back to Puel, lets not forget he took over a team down the bottom of the league and had to do a total make over job. Now, it seems he was a shite man manager, but much of the defence of him was based around the fact we were not only transitioning the squad, but transitioning the style of play.

And Puel signed Maddison, Ricardo, Evans, Soyuncu, Tielemans

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

..absolutely no problem for Arsenal to come up with the cash!!!

Kroenke is either looking at Vieira or Rodgers for the post and monies would be on Rodgers to get the gig.

London, carte blanch and a warchest to build a team to challenge for the title, can not see him saying no.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..absolutely no problem for Arsenal to come up with the cash!!!

Kroenke is either looking at Vieira or Rodgers for the post and monies would be on Rodgers to get the gig.

London, carte blanch and a warchest to build a team to challenge for the title, can not see him saying no.

This war chest won’t happen they haven’t competed for years now. They need a whole new team to challenge. Our team is probably worth above 300 million. They will need to spend more than that .just to get back in the top 6 .

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Surely he'd at least want to stick on for the rest of the season? Either a top 4 finish or UEL finalists (/champions) would look amazing on his CV, and providing the injury situation is a bit kinder to us I don't think either is entirely out of reach at this moment in time

*Please don't quote me when we get dumped out the UEL at the next round and finish 9th thanks

Is this not similar to Celtic fans saying 'surely he'd want to stick on for the rest of the season - complete the records with Celtic which would look amazing on his CV'.

I don't think he'll go - at least not right now. I hope he doesn't get lured. He's achieveing fantastic things with us in terms of league and European competitions and where we stand, the training ground, the potential stadium expansion. He could stay for a few years and be part of the reason our status continues to get elevated.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, waylander said:

This war chest won’t happen they haven’t competed for years now. They need a whole new team to challenge. Our team is probably worth above 300 million. They will need to spend more than that .just to get back in the top 6 .

...when your spending £72m on Pepe...you have the money!!!

I would sell the majority of the players and with property scouting they can build a team. With Spurs top of the table I would have thought they would have shown Arteta the door this morning. They delayed by a good 5 years with Wenger so no surprise they are getting it wrong again.