Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think you're missing the point, I can remember being top of the Premiership with Peter Taylor but most people could see that we were there more by fortune rather than astute management. Would you rush to resign Taylor because he once afforded us a lofty position?

Many noted that when Rodgers started weaving his magic before Christmas with his 'philosophy', team selections, tactics and substitutions, it all started to go horribly wrong. Would he change? There's an undeniable history to him.

We won today despite the manager and not because of him or even partly because of him. His substitutions were abysmal. His previous tactics against Man City were spot on because simply put, they were the only ones he could use really compared to last seasons 'no tactics' approach, it took no tactical genius and Man City played to our strengths. Leeds played straight into our hands also didn't they. Our losses have mostly been down to his poor management and quite a few of our wins have been more than a little fortunate to be polite about it. Quality of play wise, we are in a false position, let's not kid ourselves. Rogers for me, in the words of Freddie Mercury is, The Great Pretender. He's a media darling and in their eyes he can't do anything wrong. He's absolutely blessed, notwithstanding injuries, with the squad of players he has at his disposal compared with previous managers. How many of today's Sheffield United players would get into our team or visa versa? You can lose any game, football's like that, but you can also give yourself the best chance of winning with the right players in their best positions, with logical tactics and reasonable substitutions if required.

Great Pretender? Long may it continue then. Talk about short memories? Or maybe you are a youngster?

4 hours ago, Dames said:

I’m as happy as the next fan with a last minute winner and 3 points but lets not kid ourselves, the team has performed really poorly against some poor teams in the past 2/3 weeks and a good portion of it is down to the managers decisions. 

Don't want the guy gone, but he made a bad call mid-week by putting Soyuncu, Pereira and Ndidi back in against Zorhya.

It was a nothing game, it was always going to be a tough, physical game in difficult climates on a tough pitch... he really should have known better.

Squad just look lost of confidence and strangely that's off the back of another Liverpool drubbing! Need to learn how to lose.

9 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Don't want the guy gone, but he made a bad call mid-week by putting Soyuncu, Pereira and Ndidi back in against Zorhya.

It was a nothing game, it was always going to be a tough, physical game in difficult climates on a tough pitch... he really should have known better.

Squad just look lost of confidence and strangely that's off the back of another Liverpool drubbing! Need to learn how to lose.

When's he supposed to give them game time?

It was the perfect time really. 

Already qualified, poor opposition, resting other key players and giving fringe players valuable game time. 

It could have gone better, I suppose, but a risk worth taking imo

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hollyfox said:

Already qualified, poor opposition, resting other key players and giving fringe players valuable game time. 

I mean 2 out of the 3 returning players came off injured and we still lost... how was it worth it?

4 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

I mean 2 out of the 3 returning players came off injured and we still lost... how was it worth it?

Because everytime a player takes the field, he and the manager are taking a risk. 

They were coming back from injury and needed game time  to get back to the levels required for 1st team action. 

Brendans staff would have advised and they probably thought it was a good opportunity to get them back, using, what effectively, was a training game. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

This is a really good point, we just seem to have folded in exactly the same way we did year when put in our place by Liverpool. I think if we'd have had the Fulham and sheff utd fixtures ahead of that Liverpool game we'd have come through them comfortably. Let's hope picking up the last minute win today puts that hangover to bed quicker than last time round. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, King of Gipsy Lane said:

Not sure people get Brendan, he doesn’t care about respect being given, he knows without a single doubt he is the best coach in the league who was born on these islands. Respect is what weak people without character look for, strong people of immense mind don’t care what others think about them 

Then they are Non compromise ,no idea or Knowledge  of society twats...!!

Not even worth the Value of a rebel....So ,so fking strong they aint, they are weak in self-discipline und understanding of self...

• Thanks 1

The amount of you lot bemoaning Rodgers for not hooking Maddison and giving him 90 minutes, take a look at yourselves.

I'm not denying that was a subpar performance and we were well off-the-pace, but it was in the 90th of those minutes that today's primary on-field scapegoat threaded through the killer pass for Vardy (who also had a pretty awful game otherwise) to smash home the winner.

SURELY that vindicates Rodgers' decision to leave him on the field? It just strikes me as the weirdest case of clutching at straws I've seen on FT in a decade on here to focus on that decision, without which we would NOT have won the game.

Perez being taken off, fine, I get that, though I expect he's likely to feature on Thursday too which is a reasonable explanation for the rotation. But this community continues to baffle me with the warped logic it employs sometimes.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, King of Gipsy Lane said:

Not sure people get Brendan, he doesn’t care about respect being given, he knows without a single doubt he is the best coach in the league who was born on these islands. Respect is what weak people without character look for, strong people of immense mind don’t care what others think about them 

If you don't believe in yourself who will. My hardest lesson in life. All starts with self belief. From that point everything is possible.

3 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

The amount of you lot bemoaning Rodgers for not hooking Maddison and giving him 90 minutes, take a look at yourselves.

I'm not denying that was a subpar performance and we were well off-the-pace, but it was in the 90th of those minutes that today's primary on-field scapegoat threaded through the killer pass for Vardy (who also had a pretty awful game otherwise) to smash home the winner.

SURELY that vindicates Rodgers' decision to leave him on the field? It just strikes me as the weirdest case of clutching at straws I've seen on FT in a decade on here to focus on that decision, without which we would NOT have won the game.

Perez being taken off, fine, I get that, though I expect he's likely to feature on Thursday too which is a reasonable explanation for the rotation. But this community continues to baffle me with the warped logic it employs sometimes.

This forum is comparable to all those unknown planets, that Star-Trek Enterprise Keep stumbling over....They have been Beamed over,to the extremites of

The galaxy....:bounce:

10 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

We all know Maddison is capable from open play, he needs to show it more often but he’s capable and its worth keeping him on.

However he is not capable from set pieces and he is not as good or as consistent as he thinks he is. He needs better coaching on the basics and taking off set pieces. 

Edited by Dames

3 minutes ago, SO1 said:

If you don't believe in yourself who will. My hardest lesson in life. All starts with self belief. From that point everything is possible.

I have self belief, I believe I am the biggest twat  on the planet,but the cleverest  idiot...:frantics:

2 minutes ago, Dames said:

We all know Maddison is capable from open play, he needs to show it more often but he’s capable and its worth keeping him on.

However he is not capable from set pieces and he is not as good or as consistent as he thinks he is. He needs better coaching on the basics and taking off set pieces. 

Oh, agree on that one. He should be nowhere near our corners - give it (depending on who's on) Marc or Youri.

Maddison could be lethal on that second ball if he's deployed in that 20-25 yard zone on the edge of the box. Half the reason we score so little from corners for me is (apart from all our centre backs having heads like Rubik's Cubes) rarely leaving someone on the edge of the box to smash a follow-up.

Which coincidentally gives me PTSD from the Sousa / Sven years, when it seems we were conceding that sort of goal every week. :nono:

I seem to be in the minority that thought we played ok today, and that the subs were fine.

On the wider point, we clearly have a very good manager at the helm, but he does have some pretty obvious shortcomings that seem so easy to fix. 

This squad should finish 6th-8th and it surely will. It's just a shame we seem to choke when something better is on the horizon.

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

I think what's upsetting most Fans is the simple things to fix that are being ignored game after game. Like the constant poor Corners and Free Kicks. The miss matches at defending corners. 

The poor positioning in the oppositions penalty area .  Unwillingness to take a risk in forward positions. Receiving the Ball facing the wrong way.

Why isn't Brendan sorting these issues out on the training ground or is it he doesn't want to upset senior players.

I think if Brendan sorted some of these constant issues Fans would at least see things are happening and obviously results would improve.

I made this point earlier too. 

The team is doing well but it could and should be doing better and all it needs is a few tactical tweaks and some targeted coaching. Its frustrating seeing some of these basic things not being picked up and worked on. 

I also don’t buy into the mentality that because we were crap 12 years ago we should just accept our lot now and never be critical. Its a tinpot mentality to have. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

Presumably in a really big game, in the definitely-not-physical Premier League during a dry, toasty British December.

People talk as if Brendan unilaterally decided they were playing on Thursday and the sports science folk, the physios and the players themselves gave absolutely no feedback on whether it was a good idea. All the geniuses on foxestalk knew better than all the people with the full information but very few piped up prior.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rusko187 said:

You’re absolutely right. Learning how to lose is key. I’ve done it all my life. I can turn victory into defeat without batting an eyelid. Losing means nothing, even if you do it well. So we lost to Liverpool. They’re better than we are. We beat Man City and they’re probably better than we are. 

I wonder if it is the team or Rodgers who is derailed by loses to Liverpool. Either way, fuch it, doesn’t matter.