Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Evolving the squad? Haven't we signed like, one decent player since he joined? Plus it's three games. 

It was natural to be worried and have doubts after a catastrophic ending to the season, we looked so bad and he didn't seem to have a clue how to change it. It's so nice to hear him analytical of himself yesterday and it's a huge tick in his box, I was worried he was too stubborn. But he's shown he's willing to learn and improve and that's all you can ask. 

Literally this. A lot of people here getting on their high horse with the benefit of hindsight. Yes people got it wrong (me included) but it wasn't exactly baseless drivel. What did actually pan out, as well as his interview where he actually seems to have acknowledged some previous shortcomings, something I've never seen him do, is a big positive, and could really be the turning point of him as a manager.

I will admit I got it wrong but it wasn't based on nothing.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

I don't trust anyones opinion if they weren't having doubts after winning about 3 games in 6 months and us looking utter gubbins. 

well , I know what you mean but i am just taking that undoubtedly iffy period in the context of that fact that it was also BR that put us up the top to then fall away..   if it was not for covid Man united would of never taken that champions league place, and we played the end of the season with some serious players missing.  He has kept the progression of evolution from counter attack to team that can play possession as well , the club has only moved forward under his tenure even if we did take some steps back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jamfox said:

well , I know what you mean but i am just taking that undoubtedly iffy period in the context of that fact that it was also BR that put us up the top to then fall away.

Oh absolutely, I was worried, I was critical of him, but as I always said you do need to take the season as a whole as well and that was a success.

There were a couple of interviews he gave at the end of last season where he looked absolutely knackered and I found myself wondering if he'd fully recovered from the Covid he'd had. 

This season, he's looking and sounding much better again. Really considered interview that he gave post-match yesterday. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peach0000 said:

I hate how people on here change their minds so often. Three weeks ago I swear the majority on here wanted him sacked lol 

I cannot argue with the results nor performances - we have been great and superb at times.

I've been a vocal critic of Rodgers, though have always said I think he's a great manager and don't want him gone. My problems with him remain but he does seem to have shown some reflection and humility which represent the biggest of concerns with him. 

It's not always as black and white as you appear to suggest; I think him a great, but flawed, manager.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peach0000 said:

I hate how people on here change their minds so often. Three weeks ago I swear the majority on here wanted him sacked lol 

I know, a lot of fickle Leicester fans and that will never change.   A bit like Man Utd fans with Ole.   Cant keep up with them whether they want him in or out 

Its football I guess.

28 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I cannot argue with the results nor performances - we have been great and superb at times.

I've been a vocal critic of Rodgers, though have always said I think he's a great manager and don't want him gone. My problems with him remain but he does seem to have shown some reflection and humility which represent the biggest of concerns with him. 

It's not always as black and white as you appear to suggest; I think him a great, but flawed, manager.

every manager (and player......and human come to think of it)  has flaws

1 hour ago, MIAMI_FOX said:

every manager (and player......and human come to think of it)  has flaws

My word. Do you really need to be much more verbose? 

I believe him to be a great manager who has flaws that are deeply related to, and impact directly upon, his practice. 

He deserves credit for doing something that must have been very difficult for him yesterday in swallowing his own pride and admitting his shortcomings. He also deserves credit for taking a pragmatic approach to the game not just in terms of formation but game plan too. In previous games he’s changed formation and personnel but not the actual game plan. 

However, it doesn’t wash the past 9 months away and I am very much still on the fence. I’ve always maintained i’m happy to be proven wrong and i’ll be happy if this is the turning point for Brendan Rodgers as a manager but I won’t be getting ahead of myself just yet. This start to the season has earned him a little more time and patience. 

6 hours ago, Line-X said:

I did.

At the time, based upon our diabolical form since December, the turgid football that we played during the summer since Project Restart, the second half away to Bournemouth, our current injuries and a lack of depth in our squad going into four competitions.  

Indeed - this bi-polar forum vacillates wildly between extreme pessimism/negativity to ridiculous delusional euphoria. But then perhaps that's only to be expected when following such a club of such erratic extremes of good and ill fortune.  

We are only three matches in. The CB situation and our defensive frailty at times is worrying as is the toll that Europa will exact upon our league form, but the early signs are nonetheless encouraging, particularly the fact that unlike last year we seem to have goals coming and threatening from all over the park and positions.

I make no apologies for my pre-season doubt and apprehension but am delighted to be proven wrong. 

I think the scary thing here was that you thought one of Brighton, Villa, Baggies and Fulham would finish above us to be honest.

Intelligent judgment is all about the body of work, and the body of work evolves gradually.

While “public opinion” swings from the manic to the depressive, and back, and always will.

I want to see personal growth and resilience that translates to the playing staff's belief, as evidenced in recovery from setbacks.

So far so good IMHO.  Even if West Ham manage to beat us.

• Like 1

Are you forgetting we went on a shocking run post Christmas, and went from being 15 points clear of United to finishing 2 points behind them? All the criticism he got was justified. Its actually quite unforgivable how we handed top 4 to Man Utd on a ****ing plate. 

Rodgers is a good manager but not without flaws. He gets credit for the sensational football we played in 2019 but rightly gets criticised for the 2020 debacle. It was the worst bottle job in the Premier League since Liverpool threw away the title in 2014. Rodgers is essentially responsible for 2 of the worst choke jobs in the Premier League. 

Edited by Koke

2 hours ago, M0901 said:

I think the scary thing here was that you thought one of Brighton, Villa, Baggies and Fulham would finish above us to be honest.

No I didn't. To clarify, I thought at some stage we would be hauled into/staving off a relegation battle. I din't think that we'd go down. 

Have to hold my hands up. I wanted him sacked after the poor run end of last season.

So far he has shown he is willing to change system based on opposition. Previously we tried to play our style against the top sides and didn’t win. On the weekend he changed formation, went more defensive to start and counter. Worked perfectly. Stopped KDB having any impact. 
new signings, castagna looks awesome. And under / potentially Tarkowski are just what we needed. 

Yes its early days but there was a definite change in his demeanor, the team seemed more together and happier, he was engaging with them and more honest than I've ever seen in his post match interview.  I think a few honest conversations happened with the team which seems to be just what was needed. Maybe he had lost his confidence too and that then effects the players. No sign of his ruddy notebook either! 😁

• Like 1

Mate of mine (he's 50 so not a recent-success-spoilt kid) is just not having Rodgers.

In a text after the Man C game:

"The capitulation under his 'guidance' indicates he just hasn't got what it takes, he hasn't got the mettle. The capitulation when we are faffing about in the second rate euro league will hurt even more. A great manager will deliver for the full season."

Fair to say I think he's being a bit harsh!

4 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Can see Lampard getting sacked and Chelsea want Rogers back where he started his managerial career as youth and reserve manager

Make no mistake, when Lampard fails (if), Brendan will be heavily linked if we are still going well

16 hours ago, Koke said:

Are you forgetting we went on a shocking run post Christmas, and went from being 15 points clear of United to finishing 2 points behind them? All the criticism he got was justified. Its actually quite unforgivable how we handed top 4 to Man Utd on a ****ing plate. 

Rodgers is a good manager but not without flaws. He gets credit for the sensational football we played in 2019 but rightly gets criticised for the 2020 debacle. It was the worst bottle job in the Premier League since Liverpool threw away the title in 2014. Rodgers is essentially responsible for 2 of the worst choke jobs in the Premier League. 

they actually finished 4 points ahead. they gained about 18 points to get third lol 

Edited by don_danbury