Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

When Vardy Retires

The thing is if we gambled on someone before Vardy slows down, if they don’t work out we have a second shot at it. 

If we wait until he needs replacing we really are one poor signing away from a disaster. I genuinely think it’s the hardest position to sign for. 

Problem is - if we find a striker worth a damn, how long before he trots off to play with one of the "bigger" clubs ?

We got very lucky with Vardy, in the fact that he has no desire to leave our team.  Not so sure we will be able to say the same about his replacement 

Edited by marbles
  • Like 1

Vardy’s great, we clearly miss him and I'm not one of these ‘yeah but how many penalties has he scored’ people.

But, he’s scored 5 goals so far this season, 4 of them have been penalties.

I’m not a stats person but I believe his touches of the ball are pretty low, his shots to goals ratio have always been low but we can’t get away from the fact this suggests we don’t get the ball to him very often. 

The fact he’s so prolific is what makes him so good but we can’t expect others to be so prolific so surely then we have to go with the instructions we get the ball more forward, more quickly, more often and more aggressively.

I believe in the last few games we’ve been playing more higher up the field, none of this sideways and backwards, passive nonsense infront of our own box, but we’re still not getting the ball much further forward, we’re basically playing the same game but around the half way line, all I can say is atleast we’re not camped infront of own box like we were but the issue are still there.

Edited by Matt

25 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Never be touted as a world great because he’s not technically ‘beautiful’

Technically i think he's fantastic tbh, sure he doesnt dribble players like strikers like martial or gabriel jesus but almost every touch he takes is a meaningful one. You look at the highlights of previous top strikers like van nistelroy, torres etc and they make so many more wasteful touches of the ball than vardy. Sure vardy might not be as good as these players but the only ones who play football as cleanly as he does are the absolute elite ones like R9, Henry etc. Just a very pleasing player to watch with the ball at his feet tbh and talking of technical ability the level of some of the goals he's scored with us are absolutely elite from a technical perspective, doesnt need many attempts to pull them off either, dont think you'll see martial or jesus score a goal like the one at west brom or that jumping volley at spurs.

We've gone three seasons without even signing a striker now so is there even a plan?

Going back to 2014/15 we signed Ulloa, Okazaki and Kramaric and all three you could see why they were signed and with more patience Kramaric could have been the one. Over the next six years we signed Slimani, Musa and Iheanacho not one of them were right for us.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Technically i think he's fantastic tbh, sure he doesnt dribble players like strikers like martial or gabriel jesus but almost every touch he takes is a meaningful one. You look at the highlights of previous top strikers like van nistelroy, torres etc and they make so many more wasteful touches of the ball than vardy. Sure vardy might not be as good as these players but the only ones who play football as cleanly as he does are the absolute elite ones like R9, Henry etc. Just a very pleasing player to watch with the ball at his feet tbh and talking of technical ability the level of some of the goals he's scored with us are absolutely elite from a technical perspective, doesnt need many attempts to pull them off either, dont think you'll see martial or jesus score a goal like the one at west brom or that jumping volley at spurs.

Vardy is every bit as good as both Torres or Van Nisterooy . They were both playing in top teams, Vardy, as seen today is playing in teams who barely create. The guy is an outrageously good and underrated striker because of his upbringing and pure grit over technical stereotype.

The guy is imo in the top 5-10 Premier league strikers. Take away Thierry Henry, Luis Suarez and Alan Shearer , Hes in the next bracket not a doubt in my mind.

Theres a reason none of those ‘top’ strikers did it for a team outside the top 6, its incredibly hard to get his numbers in the teams he’s played in, he’s pure goldust and will never be replaced.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SecretPro said:

On a serious note, when Vardy retires we are fooked. Discuss. 

When vardy retires we will sign a high profile striker to replace him the type who isn't happy to come and play 2nd fiddle at the moment. 

He won't be as good as no one ever will be but he will hopefully be an adequate replacement for an aging vardy. End of discussion. 

1 minute ago, The whole world smiles said:

When vardy retires we will sign a high profile striker to replace him the type who isn't happy to come and play 2nd fiddle at the moment. 

We had years to prepare for Mahrez leaving and went for Ghezzal and Perez. 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Vardy is every bit as good as both Torres or Van Nisterooy . They were both playing in top teams, Vardy, as seen today is playing in teams who barely create. The guy is an outrageously good and underrated striker because of his upbringing and pure grit over technical stereotype.

The guy is imo in the top 5-10 Premier league strikers. Take away Thierry Henry, Luis Suarez and Alan Shearer , Hes in the next bracket not a doubt in my mind.

Theres a reason none of those ‘top’ strikers did it for a team outside the top 6, its incredibly hard to get his numbers in the teams he’s played in, he’s pure goldust and will never be replaced.

I was talking about R9 and Henry, i agree that vardy is as good as van nistelroy and torres. I might have structured my comment poorly but what i meant to say was that vardy's efficiency with the ball at his feet is equal to that of R9 and Henry and ahead of that of the likes of van nistelroy/torres.

3 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

We also replaced Maguire with Soyuncu, Chillwell with Castagne, Kante with Ndidi, And drinkwater with youri (eventually!) so let's not be too doom and gloom

Our recruitment in attacking areas is nowhere near good enough, hopefully Under will work out as its been a while since any forward or winger we've brought in has been a success.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bert said:

Yeah, a real easy player to replace 

I dont think anyone expects us to buy someone who's as good as mahrez, it's more that after all these signings right wing is still clearly the weakest position in our starting 11. Hopefully under can fix that.

Edited by honeybradger

What I find baffling is that Vardy is arguably the most important player in the team, but he's the only player we haven't even tried to get a backup for who has a similar style.

BR said pre-match yesterday that Nacho was a completely different player to Vardy so it's not as if he's trying to convert or mould Nacho at all. 

Just about everywhere else on the pitch we have like for like replacements allowing us to mostly play the same style, injuries or not.

Now I know that it isn't easy to go out get a young Vardy mark 2 who is going to be as equally as effective, because let's face it, he'd be worth £100m but why oh why have we not got a younger striker in who allows us to at least emulate what Vardy does? It's almost criminal in my opinion. 

8 hours ago, Hollyfox said:

He is incredible in the way we attack and defend. 

There's no doubt we are going to miss him. 

I'm sure the club are looking into this though 

The club should have been looking at this for the last 4 years. 
If they have been looking, then I have absolutely no idea where or what at. 
Perez was a cheap PL squad buy I’d hope and not with the aim of being Vardys replacement.

Ill say it again but the power of Kasper, Jamie and Wes et al immediately after 2016 is starting to show through now and will still be felt long after they leave or retire from playing.

What makes Vardy great is his rawness, his blooding through lower leagues enabled this, and  him not being raised in an academy.
His replacement, assuming we want a more or less direct replacement, would not be expensive, it’s only a question of if one actually exists and can be found.

Edited by Dahnsouff

11 hours ago, Ceirboy said:

The club should have been looking at this for the last 4 years. 
If they have been looking, then I have absolutely no idea where or what at. 
Perez was a cheap PL squad buy I’d hope and not with the aim of being Vardys replacement.

Ill say it again but the power of Kasper, Jamie and Wes et al immediately after 2016 is starting to show through now and will still be felt long after they leave or retire from playing.

Pretty sure the club have/are looking into it, but Vardy is number 1 and whoever comes in will have to wait to take his spot by sub appearances and Cup action. 

Vardy needs to be rested but still has to play as regular as poss to keep up his fitness levels. 

Let's be honest, he's only one bad injury away from the end of his Premier career.