Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Transfer targets 2020/21

3 hours ago, Pliskin said:

The annoying thing is, you know he will go for about £20m..... which is something we can afford. But knowing us we will start chasing Edouard.... which would be a proper marathon leading to us over paying for him. I’d much rather we turned our attention to the many other ridiculously talented young forwards that are knocking about. Snap one up now to sit under Vardy would be ideal.

26 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Our recruitment of attacking players is an absolute disgrace though. 

It is the least effective part of our recruitment.  We have Vardy, Barnes and Under though.  There is okay,  not spectacular, back up.

I want to see a lot more of Cenghis.  Barnes is at an enhanced level currently.  Opponents will have two main men to contend with.  It will be interesting to see how Rodgers uses Cenghis.

Recruiting another effective way striker would be huge.  We are nearing not only having an elite 11 but an elite 13-15 (opinions may differ even on Foxestalk).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...he is going through the motions at the moment, may not be a good thing in regards to team ethics but I really believe, that's where he is at the moment!!!

His record for the French 21s is very good. He clearly wanted a move and didn't get it, I wouldn't discount him because of that.

1 minute ago, Abrasive fox said:

His record for the French 21s is very good. He clearly wanted a move and didn't get it, I wouldn't discount him because of that.

....too right, I always felt with all that talk of him moving, he was packing his bags to a new club, it seemed. Absolutely no reaction from him or his agent when nothing happened!!!

I believe he is already agreed to go at the end of the season, whether it is to us, well that remains to be seen.

1 minute ago, SuperMike said:

Should go for DannyJohnson (Orient) - scores bags of goals, would relish a shot at Premier level and wouldn't be too upset at being behind Vards in the pecking order!?

Hmmmm if we are going to take a punt on a forward in the lower leagues then Max Watters seems to be the one more likely to make it at a higher level and even then it's a huge ask to be ready to come to the PL before going through the leagues first. 

• Like 2

Watching Eze for Palace today and I really question why players opt for clubs like Palace because you're in danger of being restricted in your progression. Palace will never be a top 7 club, not do they have a history of producing players that the big 6 will pay obscene money for, so you're stuck there. The next batch of clubs like us, Everton, Wolves etc would likely be priced out of a move as well, thats why it baffles me why you'd go there unless it was as a last resort.

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Watching Eze for Palace today and I really question why players opt for clubs like Palace because you're in danger of being restricted in your progression. Palace will never be a top 7 club, not do they have a history of producing players that the big 6 will pay obscene money for, so you're stuck there. The next batch of clubs like us, Everton, Wolves etc would likely be priced out of a move as well, thats why it baffles me why you'd go there unless it was as a last resort.

LONDON.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

LONDON.

But there's enough who choose dross like Newcastle, Brighton etc and you're consigning yourself to being a mid table at best PL ayer as it's so difficult to then get a move. At least when you come to a club like us, Southampton etc that you either challenge the elite or are at clubs that have a track record for developing players and sold on for huge fees to the said elite. Can't remember the last time Palace, West Ham, Brighton, Newcastle etc really got hold of a player from a lower league and developed them and sold them to another PL club for a profit. It's a risky move.

24 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He looks a real prospect - but I’d say Palace are perfect for him right now ... he was sub today so isn’t seen as “ready”, so if it takes him 6 months to become a regular and 18 months to become their main man he’s halfway into a 4 year contract and can either demand more money or a big move

5 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

He looks a real prospect - but I’d say Palace are perfect for him right now ... he was sub today so isn’t seen as “ready”, so if it takes him 6 months to become a regular and 18 months to become their main man he’s halfway into a 4 year contract and can either demand more money or a big move

But my point is, Palace have no real ability to challenge for trophies or Europe, not do they have a pedigree for developing players that the big 6 are willing to pay serious money for. So that then leaves the teams like us, Everton etc to potentially be interested but we would never pay the sort of fee they'd command so he'll be stuck there. You either need to go to a newly promoted side or a team more open to selling to other PL clubs, or go to an ambitious PL club with a history of developing excellent players which us and Southampton do regularly. 

23 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

But there's enough who choose dross like Newcastle, Brighton etc and you're consigning yourself to being a mid table at best PL ayer as it's so difficult to then get a move. At least when you come to a club like us, Southampton etc that you either challenge the elite or are at clubs that have a track record for developing players and sold on for huge fees to the said elite. Can't remember the last time Palace, West Ham, Brighton, Newcastle etc really got hold of a player from a lower league and developed them and sold them to another PL club for a profit. It's a risky move.

I understand what you’re saying, but specifically to Eze it was the London factor no doubt about it. 
although I can see the logic in your point about a player being developed at those clubs not everyone is Leicester, we’re an abnormality. It’s not a clear choice as “who has a history of developing players and selling them” sometimes it’s the timing, location and the wages offered. We can’t sign everyone who’s talented so they’ve got to sign for someone else if they’re playing well sadly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

He is a London boy who got released by Arsenal, Fulham, Reading & Millwall before going to QPR. I'm sure he is delighted to get a chance at a Premier team in London. He also know if he plays well the big boys will come for him.

39 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I have to disagree with you there, I think it was a brilliant move for the player. He plays pretty much every game so he can develop his talent, and then he'll be sold to one of the Champions League clubs if he's good enough. Palace sold Zaha and Aaron Win Bissaka to Man United, Bolasie to Everton (lol), Dwight Gayle to Newcastle, etc. At 22 years old you've got to be playing in week in, week out and at Palace he was going to get that. Many of us (I think you included) were waxing lyrical about him last season, and having seen him play in person a few times I knew he would make it in the Premier League. But these days Leicester are a team that competes and arguably expects to get into the European places, hence why we've gone for signings like Perez, Under and Praet in attacking positions. We are already developing Barnes so needed more proven players in those positions. As good as Eze is, I'd say he needs probably a season or two more at Palace before he is the real deal, in a similar way to how Jack Grealish did look a good player, but it was only having a few seasons as Villa's main man that has turned him into arguably one of the best players in the country. 

Eze could well end up breaking the transfer record for a player sold at Palace, unless Zaha is finally sold. I actually think they signed Eze because they will sell Zaha at the end of the season, and Eze will take over from him. 

Palace have priced Zaha out of a move in the last year or so, no longer do any of the big 6 want him and therefore the likes of us or Everton etc would need to be quoted a normal price of sub £40m to do business, which even then we possibly wouldn't do. Therefore the player is stuck unless they run their contract down. Eze is young and if he tears it up he will possibly attract a huge move but as a stepping stone club, you really have to pick carefully otherwise players can find it very hard to move on the PL. It's going to be even harder now that these new transfer rules have come in as well, the pool of players to sign becomes smaller.

Maybe we should recruit two or three promising young strikers on reasonable wages in Jan and loan both or all three straight back out at the highest level possible.  Is Hirst already in this situation?  How much potential does Wakeling have?

One may be ready to integrate into the Premier League squad in September.

Presumably, our scouting network will have identified potential.

37 minutes ago, majaco said:

Maybe we should recruit two or three promising young strikers on reasonable wages in Jan and loan both or all three straight back out at the highest level possible.  Is Hirst already in this situation?  How much potential does Wakeling have?

One may be ready to integrate into the Premier League squad in September.

Presumably, our scouting network will have identified potential.

We really ought to have tried to do this prior to January 1st as the sort of striker that fits this plan would be aged 17 - 20 from overseas and the likelihood of us getting that type of player is now limited. Wahid Fagir was linked to us a number of times in the last year and it was rumoured a fee of around £2.5m would have got him in the last window and we opted not to nor take advantage of one last chance of a free run at young EU players. 

I suppose what the alternative now is, is we get Leuven to buy such players and park them there until they get the required experience and work permit to come here. I'm not sure if we can sign them and send them straight there or have to sign them for Leuven and then be a bit naughty with transferring them to us when they tick all the boxes.

34 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We really ought to have tried to do this prior to January 1st as the sort of striker that fits this plan would be aged 17 - 20 from overseas and the likelihood of us getting that type of player is now limited. Wahid Fagir was linked to us a number of times in the last year and it was rumoured a fee of around £2.5m would have got him in the last window and we opted not to nor take advantage of one last chance of a free run at young EU players. 

I suppose what the alternative now is, is we get Leuven to buy such players and park them there until they get the required experience and work permit to come here. I'm not sure if we can sign them and send them straight there or have to sign them for Leuven and then be a bit naughty with transferring them to us when they tick all the boxes.

We need to continue taking a punt on some homegrown players as well as scouting overseas.

In our current squad , we have recruited, at various stages of their careers, Vardy, Albrighton, Scmeichel, Justin, Morgan, Ward,  Maddison, Ihenacho and Perez from English clubs. The first five were relatively cheap as were Simpson and Drinkwater (and Alan Young).

On top of this, we have seen players emerge from the Academy.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, majaco said:

We need to continue taking a punt on some homegrown players as well as scouting overseas.

In our current squad , we have recruited, at various stages of their careers, Vardy, Albrighton, Scmeichel, Justin, Morgan, Ward,  Maddison, Ihenacho and Perez from English clubs. The first five were relatively cheap as were Simpson and Drinkwater (and Alan Young).

On top of this, we have seen players emerge from the Academy.

Yes we do, the restrictions in recruiting from overseas now makes it even more competitive to sign domestically which was beginning to be a nightmare anyway, due to the wealth of PL clubs. I don't see many positives to these changes, I think the impact will be felt in the next few years and it will have to be changed.

37 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes we do, the restrictions in recruiting from overseas now makes it even more competitive to sign domestically which was beginning to be a nightmare anyway, due to the wealth of PL clubs. I don't see many positives to these changes, I think the impact will be felt in the next few years and it will have to be changed.

There are lower league teams crying out for funds.  All we need is for them is to have marvellous prospects for us to poach on the cheap.

Oh dear.  After five decades as  a Lestah fan, I appear to have become as entitled as a blue moon singer.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

...would you not believe clubs will look to non European countries to recruit!!!

Turning to our domestic market does not give you value for money and as this is a business venture, surely the trend will be to scout in Africa and Latin America.