Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Transfer targets 2020/21

7 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

One from left field, I’ve just been watching some League Two highlights. Anyone in here watch more than a few minutes feel free to disagree or tell me he’s rubbish.

Max Watters at Crawley scored a few this seasons, only 21 and from the brief highlights I’ve seen looks very Jamie Vardy like. 
Could be a young, relatively risk free signing much like when we signed the great man himself.

Can he step up to this level who knows? 
Surely wouldn’t cost more than a million quid. 

Sling them one million gbp and let him stay on loan until next January. Surely there’s a huge edge to be gained by picking up young players cheaply by leveraging the club to take them back on loan.

Worst case scenario is we make a small

loss.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

Kelechi Iheanacho looks better.

Just because he plays for another team doesn't mean he is what we need.

If Kelechi Iheanacho gets game time and is at match sharpness he will score goals infact im that confident in this, that he would be a leading premier league goal scorer.

People expect him to make an immediate impact with only 65 mins of playing time in every now and again.

All players need constant game time to thrive and he is one of them.

Its not so long ago that people were asking for Kramaric back. Some people need a reality check 

What do you think of Islam Slimani because if Ihneacho would be the leagues top goalscorer then Slimani would surely be up for the Balon d'or. After all the latter has scored almost the same amount of goals in half the number of games whith even fewer chances to prove himself. 

Kelechi has had plenty chance to show he has what it takes but 9 goals in almost 80 games is all he has to show for it and I don't care if most of them where sub appearances, that simply isn't good enough. 

30 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

If Kelechi Iheanacho gets game time and is at match sharpness he will score goals infact im that confident in this, that he would be a leading premier league goal scorer.

People expect him to make an immediate impact with only 65 mins of playing time in every now and again.

Its not so long ago that people were asking for Kramaric back. Some people need a reality check 

Iheanacho looks better? The biggest problem for Iheanacho is, he is nowhere near good enough to play up front on his own. Has to be played in a front two or him in the withdrawn role and thats why we are where we are in terms of looking for another striker.

Just now, matty98 said:

Not keen on Dia at all tbh.

He's 24 and this is his first season where he's getting decent numbers. Also 4 of his 10 goals are penalties so not really as impressive as it initially seems.

Except we win a lot of penalties....

20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Iheanacho looks better? The biggest problem for Iheanacho is, he is nowhere near good enough to play up front on his own. Has to be played in a front two or him in the withdrawn role and thats why we are where we are in terms of looking for another striker.

I’ve given up hope with Ian tbh. He can finish but he’s rarely looked like a replacement. I half think no one can work in Vardy’s shadow. The fans and players will always prefer Vardy, and the player himself will know that and will affect his performance. I don’t reckon we’ll get a fully firing striker until Vardy retires. Only players like Barnes and Perez, full and settled members of the squad who may be able to deputies, will gain temporary success. Happy to be proven wrong but the only decent co striker Vardy’s had in over half a decade was Shinji and he was more a midfield disruptor more than a striker.

25 minutes ago, matty98 said:

So? We have Vardy, Maddison and Tielemans who are all good penalty takers. We don't need another. We need players that score goals from open play. 

I was being facetious, had we got Dia instead of Iheanacho then we likely beat Palace given that horrific penalty miss. Dia has 6 goals in 15 games from open play (if you don't want to count his penalties) in a league that isn't awash with goals like some are and he's at a team that are mediocre. He's having a great season.

PS Maddison is crap at peno's.

58 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

Like Gray, Nacho has had lots of opportunities to force he way into the team, but never grabs it with both hands. 

We aren't good enough to have a player in our 11 who needs others to do his running.

The problem with Nacho is that (this season atleast) we are not a team that creates a lot of chances. However, with Vardy' conversation rate, we dont need to. He only needs one or to opportunities to score where as Ian needs 4 or 5 and that's just not practical in a team that creates so little. 

We need a striker who is confident in their abilities, patient, focused and ruthless and Ihneacho is neither of those things. 

That is why I believe we need a striker who is a bit more mature, a bit more experienced that Kelechi, someone who, like Vardy will have faith the chances will come and when they do, will put them away. 

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I was being facetious, had we got Dia instead of Iheanacho then we likely beat Palace given that horrific penalty miss. Dia has 6 goals in 15 games from open play (if you don't want to count his penalties) in a league that isn't awash with goals like some are and he's at a team that are mediocre. He's having a great season.

Anyone can miss a penalty.

Also Ligue 1 has had more goals than the prem this season. 469 to 461.

I appreciate he's playing for a poor team but really don't see how he's a major improvement on Iheanacho.6 goals in 15 games from open play is decent, nothing crazy though. Pretty sure Iheanacho would better those numbers in that league.

Edited by matty98

Just now, matty98 said:

Anyone can miss a penalty.

Also Ligue 1 has had more goals than the prem this season. 469 to 461.

I appreciate he's playing for a poor team but really don't see how he's a major improvement on Iheanacho.6 goals is 15 games from open play is decent, nothing crazy though. Pretty sure Iheanacho would better those numbers in that league.

Check the top scorer charts in Ligue 1.

For the umpteenth time, Iheanacho cannot play up front in the system we play. Has he ever had a good game without Vardy or with Perez and him in a two like they did at West Ham and Newcastle last season? 

I like Iheanacho but he isn't a back up to Vardy, he is a support striker who has to play in a system we don't favour usually.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I’ve given up hope with Ian tbh. He can finish but he’s rarely looked like a replacement. I half think no one can work in Vardy’s shadow. The fans and players will always prefer Vardy, and the player himself will know that and will affect his performance. I don’t reckon we’ll get a fully firing striker until Vardy retires. Only players like Barnes and Perez, full and settled members of the squad who may be able to deputies, will gain temporary success. Happy to be proven wrong but the only decent co striker Vardy’s had in over half a decade was Shinji and he was more a midfield disruptor more than a striker.

...it is not that the supporters have not taken to him!!!

He can not play in the position he has been asked to play. A Lone Striker role is not what he does or should ever be asked to do.

A young 19/20 year old who would  be buzzing to be around the first team and who has no fear into taking on the strikers role  would suffice.

I still think Hirst from the U23s could do a job, some players shine when thrown in at the deep end, he is not a target man he is good with players around him and with balls being played to his feet. We tend to get focused on a tall guy up front and hit hopeful long balls in their direction, he is better than that.

For me Batuhan Kor would be a good move to bring in.

25 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

He can not play in the position he has been asked to play. A Lone Striker role is not what he does or should ever be asked to do.

A young 19/20 year old who would  be buzzing to be around the first team and who has no fear into taking on the strikers role  would suffice.

I still think Hirst from the U23s could do a job, some players shine when thrown in at the deep end, he is not a target man he is good with players around him and with balls being played to his feet. We tend to get focused on a tall guy up front and hit hopeful long balls in their direction, he is better than that.

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

Hirst has been abysmal at Rotherham though

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Check the top scorer charts in Ligue 1.

For the umpteenth time, Iheanacho cannot play up front in the system we play. Has he ever had a good game without Vardy or with Perez and him in a two like they did at West Ham and Newcastle last season? 

I like Iheanacho but he isn't a back up to Vardy, he is a support striker who has to play in a system we don't favour usually.

Take away his penalties and he's about the joint 12th highest scorer in the league? It's just not impressive enough.

Looking at the line ups on transfermarkt, he's actually only scored 2 goals as a lone striker from open play. What makes you so sure he can play upfront on his own?

Seems like most of his goals have come when he's played in a front 2 or out on the wing.

By my calculations and assuming there's no renewals in the summer there's about 14m a year coming off the wage bill. Numbers off transfermrkt so they won't be that accurate.

Morgan - 60k

Fuchs - 50k

Slimani - 80k

Gray - 50k

James - 30k

You could sign 2/3 very decent players for frees with that wage bill freed up.

Edited by Abrasive fox
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, matty98 said:

Take away his penalties and he's about the joint 12th highest scorer in the league? It's just not impressive enough.

Looking at the line ups on transfermarkt, he's actually only scored 2 goals as a lone striker from open play. What makes you so sure he can play upfront on his own?

Seems like most of his goals have come when he's played in a front 2 or out on the wing.

This argument makes me laugh, I remember there were always people on here saying Nugent was garbage cos his penalties didn't count. How many of Vardys goals are penalties, that's different though eh! :whistle:

Just now, nwl fox said:

This argument makes me laugh, I remember there were always people on here saying Nugent was garbage cos his penalties didn't count. How many of Vardys goals are penalties, that's different though eh! :whistle:

I'm not saying penalties don't count. I'm saying his penalties are irrelevant to us because he wouldn't be our penalty taker. Our takers are Vardy, then Maddison or Tielemans.

And tbh I do think penalties should be disregarded when looking at new signings unless they're going to be our main penalty taker.

18 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

By my calculations and assuming there's no renewals in the summer there's about 14m a year coming off the wage bill. Numbers off transfermrkt so they won't be that accurate.

Morgan - 60k

Fuchs - 50k

Slimani - 80k

Gray - 50k

James - 30k

You could sign 2/3 very decent players for frees with that wage bill freed up.

I think we have been waiting for this summer for the last few season. 

Our wage to income ratio isn't sustainable, bring in a couple of players of Castange's quality for around the 60k a week and bank the rest  

• Like 2