Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Transfer targets 2020/21

2 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

It doesn’t you know! He’s a League 1 player if he fulfils his potential, at a pinch he might one day make a Championship player 

...if Nacho did not come here from Manchester City for £23m and you watched his performance against Palace, where would you place him in the leagues.

The more he plays as a Lone Striker the more frustrated people become, willing to take a hit to get him off the wage bill.

If you are not willing to play to the strengths of your players, why put them through that!!

57 minutes ago, matty98 said:

Take away his penalties and he's about the joint 12th highest scorer in the league? It's just not impressive enough.

Looking at the line ups on transfermarkt, he's actually only scored 2 goals as a lone striker from open play. What makes you so sure he can play upfront on his own?

Seems like most of his goals have come when he's played in a front 2 or out on the wing.

Take away Mbappe's penalties and he's only scored 8 from open play for PSG who score many more goals than Reims do. 

Have you actually watched him or are you just trying to object by these stats? It's more than acceptable to do so, we can't all proclaim to watch much European leagues but so far I'm yet to see why you're so dismissive of him. He's very progressive as well, a rags to riches story like our very own Jamie Vardy and thats another reason I'm more certain he is going right to the top.

Reims tend to be quite flexible in the systems they play there's usually a center forward (often Dia) in a 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1 sort of system that we play. The key difference between Iheanacho and Dia is that Iheanacho's best role is as a 2nd striker, Dia's best role is as a centre forward but can play as an orthodox right winger which Iheanacho can't. Kelechi's best asset is dropping in the space and his excellently weighted through balls to Vardy. Really wish we'd play him up there with him more often but Rodgers doesn't seem that keen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Foxy_Bear said:

The problem with Nacho is that (this season atleast) we are not a team that creates a lot of chances. However, with Vardy' conversation rate, we dont need to. He only needs one or to opportunities to score where as Ian needs 4 or 5 and that's just not practical in a team that creates so little. 

We need a striker who is confident in their abilities, patient, focused and ruthless and Ihneacho is neither of those things. 

That is why I believe we need a striker who is a bit more mature, a bit more experienced that Kelechi, someone who, like Vardy will have faith the chances will come and when they do, will put them away. 

Cavani was the answer :ph34r:

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...it is not that the supporters have not taken to him!!!

He can not play in the position he has been asked to play. A Lone Striker role is not what he does or should ever be asked to do.

A young 19/20 year old who would  be buzzing to be around the first team and who has no fear into taking on the strikers role  would suffice.

I still think Hirst from the U23s could do a job, some players shine when thrown in at the deep end, he is not a target man he is good with players around him and with balls being played to his feet. We tend to get focused on a tall guy up front and hit hopeful long balls in their direction, he is better than that.

For me Batuhan Kor would be a good move to bring in.

Hirst isn’t the answer. Everyone that has seen him, from OHL, U23s, Rotherham ..... have all formed a similar opinion.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, matty98 said:

Take away his penalties and he's about the joint 12th highest scorer in the league? It's just not impressive enough.

Looking at the line ups on transfermarkt, he's actually only scored 2 goals as a lone striker from open play. What makes you so sure he can play upfront on his own?

Seems like most of his goals have come when he's played in a front 2 or out on the wing.

Take away Vardy’s penalties this season and see where he stands. 

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Wouldn't be aganst that tbh but lawell would do that over his own dead body. He wouldn't let a pound slip through his fingers.

....just think how much he will be losing with Celtic playing second fiddle to Rangers!!!

He is going to have the Celtic fans in his face until Klopp goes and unless he sorts out the striker situation Celtic are going to be languishing in their slipstream.

Perhaps the manager situation will be looked at, but I have no idea who is available or more importantly would want to take this on.

1 hour ago, matty98 said:

Darwin Nunez, looks like he has the ability to be an unbelievable player. Fast, strong, good in the air and very good technical ability for a big striker.

Would love that! I’d rather spend big on a striker to compete with vardy than some championship striker / back up premier league striker (josh king, che adams ilk) who are on the level of Iheanacho who isn’t good enough anyway. 

We have players to play 2 up front regularly too, 3-5-2 or even 4-4-2 with Ndidi and youri in the middle!! 

46 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....just think how much he will be losing with Celtic playing second fiddle to Rangers!!!

He is going to have the Celtic fans in his face until Klopp goes and unless he sorts out the striker situation Celtic are going to be languishing in their slipstream.

Perhaps the manager situation will be looked at, but I have no idea who is available or more importantly would want to take this on.

Yup, definitely on the first point, that's what happens when you replace a £4m per year manager with a 500k one and try and play at being a director of football yourself (Lawell).

I'm not so sure on the second point, for a number of reasons, I think Lawell and Lennon may both be gone this season and should we appoint a decent manager I think we'll get our title back next season. Even if Lawell isn't this is usually the sort of times Desmond gets involved and opens the purse strings and goes and recruits a manager himself, as he did with O'Neill and Rodgers in the past. Add in to the fact Rangers recent financial results (chairman says they need to bring in £32m by end of next season just to meet operating costs) and the fact they'll have to sell players I think we stand a good chance of wrestling back control. Next season is a very important one to win as the winners get champions league group stage access.

Eddie Howe is the one being rumoured at the moment, whether there is any truth in it I don't know. I'd be amazed if Lennon was still here though and if Lawell goes I think we should be able to attract someone half decent, the issue is more our hapless board. For example Marco Rose was apparently keen to come and we ignored him and several others and went for Lennon instead.

Gerrard has done well this season and hats off to him but he's not without his flaws either, 1 trophy in 9 (assuming they don't balls up the league) would have seen any other Rangers manager chased but his excellent European record has been his saving grace in keeping him in a job when Rangers imploded the past two seasons, prior to this one. For example, if Rodgers had stayed Rangers would never have got close to us. I know we won't ordinarily be able to attract a manager of his calibre but we sure can do a helluva lot better than Neil Lennon. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, matty98 said:

Darwin Nunez, looks like he has the ability to be an unbelievable player. Fast, strong, good in the air and very good technical ability for a big striker.

A friend is a Benfica fan and says their fans rate him massively and say he's one of the best players the have signed in a long time. Problem is that the club themselves (from their manager no less!) have come out and said he will be their record sale, which would eclipse the sale of Joao Felix, who went for...113m to Atletico Madrid!

Whilst I doubt they will get quite that much, I think we are talking about a 60m player here. I could see us spending that amount of money as a one off for one player at some point in time, to replace Jamie Vardy because he's our greatest ever player but I won't think it will be for a few years, and even then we are more likely to boost the squad instead. For example selling Chilwell to purchase Fofana and Castagne for a net spend of about 10-15m was a brilliant decision, I'd argue both the first team AND the squad is better despite losing an England International.

So great suggestion, but don't think it's a realistic one. But then again I would have said that about one Youri Tielemans :scarf:!

2 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Yup, definitely on the first point, that's what happens when you replace a £4m per year manager with a 500k one and try and play at being a director of football yourself (Lawell).

I'm not so sure on the second point, for a number of reasons, I think Lawell and Lennon may both be gone this season and should we appoint a decent manager I think we'll get our title back next season. Even if Lawell isn't this is usually the sort of times Desmond gets involved and opens the purse strings and goes and recruits a manager himself, as he did with O'Neill and Rodgers in the past. Add in to the fact Rangers recent financial results (chairman says they need to bring in £32m by end of next season just to meet operating costs) and the fact they'll have to sell players I think we stand a good chance of wrestling back control. Next season is a very important one to win as the winners get champions league group stage access.

Eddie Howe is the one being rumoured at the moment, whether there is any truth in it I don't know. I'd be amazed if Lennon was still here though and if Lawell goes I think we should be able to attract someone half decent, the issue is more our hapless board. For example Marco Rose was apparently keen to come and we ignored him and several others and went for Lennon instead.

Gerrard has done well this season and hats off to him but he's not without his flaws either, 1 trophy in 9 (assuming they don't balls up the league) would have seen any other Rangers manager chased but his excellent European record has been his saving grace in keeping him in a job when Rangers imploded the past two seasons, prior to this one. For example, if Rodgers had stayed Rangers would never have got close to us. I know we won't ordinarily be able to attract a manager of his calibre but we sure can do a helluva lot better than Neil Lennon. 

I can see Slavan Billic getting the Celtic job. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

So now I'm very confused. Allardyce says he's seen 3 deals scuppered due to the new transfer rules and then Charlton go and sign a Danish 31 year old journeymen striker. Are the rules relaxed in the lower leagues?

I think unless you know his family tree it's hard to guess isn't it. But i'd imagine he probably has some British in there somewhere... unless they're paying him an absolute wedge which I highly doubt

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

So now I'm very confused. Allardyce says he's seen 3 deals scuppered due to the new transfer rules and then Charlton go and sign a Danish 31 year old journeymen striker. Are the rules relaxed in the lower leagues?

Part of me thinks Big Sam playing the media game cos WBA don’t want to spend and he can disassociate himself from their relegation 

• Like 1