Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Transfer targets 2020/21

Just now, sdb said:

We don't actually need any new players do we? Be great to get Slim and Gray off the books and sign a couple of young talents, but we'd need to spend tens of millions to improve our first XI realistically.

We need a striker. 

The Palace game showed we can't afford to rest 34 year old Vardy as he is the only good striker we have. 

1 minute ago, Foxy_Bear said:

We need a striker. 

The Palace game showed we can't afford to rest 34 year old Vardy as he is the only good striker we have. 

Yeah I see that argument for sure but I don't see many better second strikers realistically prepared to play second fiddle. I feel like people have gone way overboard on Iheanacho based on 2 misses. I actually rate him, even if he's not quite right for our style of play. Of course we have Perez who would also love to be playing that role.

4 minutes ago, sdb said:

Yeah I see that argument for sure but I don't see many better second strikers realistically prepared to play second fiddle. I feel like people have gone way overboard on Iheanacho based on 2 misses. I actually rate him, even if he's not quite right for our style of play. Of course we have Perez who would also love to be playing that role.

C'mon man.... 2 misses? He's been garbage for 90% of his time here. He has brief spells where he looks like a footballer but other than that....

The thing about another striker is, they are not going to be playing second fiddle for long. This season for sure but as of next, I would be looking to fade Vardy out to a degree. It would keep his career going a little longer and he would be the ideal impact player. 

Milik from Napoli is ideal in my eyes. Proven goalscorer, out of favour at Napoli (not even registered in their squad), out of contract in summer so would get at a decent price..... perfect. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sdb said:

Someone like Giroud would be a great signing. They could share the load between them.

They've both been their and done that so it should work well for both as they are getting on in years. 

58 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I never look at less than 100 players in any one position. The Romanian 4th division is a potential gold mine.

Who's impressed you from around Europe since the start of the season in terms of new names that wouldn't previously have been on the Ric Flair Scouting List TM?

Ones I can think of include:

- Antony of Ajax, an attacking right winger / forward. Looks even better than Neves / Ziyech in terms of raw potential. Very exciting player.

- Ryan Gravenberch also at Ajax. Bit of a deep lying playmaker type of a player, reminds me of Tielemans.

- Jeremy Doku of Rennes. Another right winger, and also a Belgian. Naturally this should mean we should already have signed him by now! Looks promising, though probably needs another season or two playing in France.

- Danilo of Twente but on loan from Ajax. Top scorer in Eredivisie at the moment and looks promising. 

- Pote, midfielder at Sporting Lisbon. Looks to be the next Bruno Fernandes, and seeing how well Bruno has done in the Premier League, he must be on a lot of clubs radar.

I also find it interesting that Man U are spending a lot of money on youth players, a winger from Atalanta (Diallo), a winger from Penarol (Pellistri) and a midfielder from Ecuador (Caicedo ). It never seems to work out for them when they do that though, the last good young foreign player they had was probably Ronaldo!

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, sdb said:

We lose Vardy and we’re done. It is as simple as that. Perez is not the answer. We are in desperate of another striker. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

We lose Vardy and we’re done. It is as simple as that. Perez is not the answer. We are in desperate of another striker. 

That's a bit OTT. And who are we signing that can replace vardy but is happy on the bench most weeks? And what sort of fees are we taking here? I get KI isn't the long term answer but people are acting like he's a waste of space that can be cheaply and significantly upgraded on.

1 hour ago, sdb said:

That's a bit OTT. And who are we signing that can replace vardy but is happy on the bench most weeks? And what sort of fees are we taking here? I get KI isn't the long term answer but people are acting like he's a waste of space that can be cheaply and significantly upgraded on.

It’s not really..... we lose Vardy where are the goals coming from? Apart from Barnaldino Madders is inconsistent, Perez shows up for a few games and then disappears and Kelechi is useless. 

So it is actually vitally important we try and find a striker.... in regards to who have you not been reading @Ric Flair and occasionally myself’s love affair with unknown foreign players? In short, we need to be clever, chasing players like Edouard is pointless, when we can pick up an absolute gem for half the price..... players like Myron Boadu a prime example of the sort of player we should be going for. There are also loads of talented young players in France and the Netherlands... they won’t cost £30m and won’t be expected to start ahead of vardy.... half a season as his understudy coming off the bench and playing in the games where Vardy needs resting...... 

Its an ideal opportunity for me, to raid Europe (if Brexit lets us) and pounce on a talent. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I suggested him last summer but Dennis Man is having another obscene season domestically for Bucharest and in the Europa League qualifying. Goals and assists galore. 

My go to leagues I try and keep an eye on are the Dutch, Belgian and Scandinavian leagues. Now there's a huge element of risk recruiting from these leagues but there's also a lot of reward.

I mentioned him last week but Jesper Lindstrom at Brondby is the heir to Eriksen's throne as the attacking midfield playmaker for Denmark, I'd love us to have a look at him as competition for Maddison. 

Cody Gakpo at PSV is a star in the making, as are many players they have. Last season I was obsessed by AZ Alkmaar and Stengs, Boadu, Idrissi, Koopmeiners and Winjdal. This year they aren't quite as ridiculous and it's PSV who have an array of young talent in Malen, Gakpo, Ihattaren and Madueke. Gakpo is class but he plays very close in style and position to Harvey Barnes and there's no way I'd want us to jeopardise his future with us, Barnes is well on his way to being the real deal here as we know. Of the AZ players last season, it's Koopmeiners I've been most impressed with this season. Boadu and Stengs have been very low key. Koopmeiners could be a Tielemans type player having started out as a more defensive midfielder who scored a lot of penalties but creatively this season he is getting better and better. I hope he is on our radar, Youri badly needs to sign that new deal, otherwise he goes in to 2021/22 season with less than 2 years on his deal and that's not ideal at all. 

Ajax have some very good players too having breakout seasons, as you mention Antony has taken over David Neres crown I stead of being Ziyech's replacement. Neres seems to be a shadow of the player he was before his serious injury. Traore is another attacking beast they have and the lad on loan at Twente Danilo who you've mentioned too. 

A player I loved 2 years ago, Brais Mendes had an abysmal 2019/20 after breaking in to the Spanish squad. He is looking good again and is the sort of player who I'd love here. That said, he is similar in versatility in the midfield and attacking positions as Kamal Sowah who we are likely to integrate in to the first team next season. Sowah is exactly the sort of player I'd have picked up on in the Belgian league as one to consider, he is still very raw but his finishing technique is superb. Michael Olise is another who we seem to be linked with and likely be the alternative to Ünder if we don't sign him permanently. 

Patson Daka at Salzburg is just another phenomenon, one of the most complete strikers I've seen in a while. No doubt will go to Leipzig for £20m and then on to a big European club in 18 months for £50m.

Of the other strikers having breakout seasons or a bit less obvious, Boulaye Dia at Reims who we were linked with in the summer is doing very well, as is Ibrahima Niane at Metz who has come through to replace Habib Diallo. Baring in mind goals aren't as frequent in Ligue 1 as other leagues or perhaps other seasons, Dia really is the standout player so far aside from the usual suspects at PSG. 

Finally Jonas Wind at FC Copenhagen is a striker who caught my eye when Belgium played Denmark a few months back and I tuned in to watch Tielemans, he's doing well domestically too and one who I think will transfer to somewhere like the Bundesliga and end up being unreal, wish we'd look at these leagues more.

I’m sure we look as hard as any team Ric!

The great thing about our recruitment now is that we’re really only interested in players with a Champions League ceiling. We’re in safe hands for now!

• Like 1

Interesting that Watford have just managed to snag Philip Zinckernagel from Bodo/Glimt on a free transfer after his contract was up. I had recently read that Jens Petter Hauge (the star of that team who ended up at Milan) wouldn't have obtained a work permit here under the new rules that came in to place today, yet Watford have managed to get a lesser talent from the same team and it's gone through.

1 minute ago, matty98 said:

Really want us to go for Joey Veerman. Would provide a great option for our midfield. Decent goal and assist contribution and is a very progressive passer. Apparently Southampton are interested in him.

IMG_20210101_202823.jpg

Yeah him and Koopmeiners doing very well in the Dutch league this season. Goncalves at Sporting a machines as well and Lindstrom at Brondby.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SecretPro said:

More like Gimps. Rutland is a different county, **** them. Anyone born in Rutland that supports Leicester are a glory hunting plastic. 

Most of them have never heard of football anyway. Weird place. Weirder people. 

• Haha 2

@Ric Flairgreat post! Not heard of quite a few of those players, so thanks for sharing. The Romanian player looks interesting, but now that we are Brexit Britain, it's going to be very hard to get players like that in these days.

Patson Daka is a great player, and that could be exactly the type of player I could see ending up at Leicester actually, depending on when he leaves. He's the sort of player that is most likely going to be very good (but not Haaland good), but needs to go to a team where he can play every week to learn the bigger leagues without being under huge pressure. Possibly next season, if not definitely the one after, I imagine Vardy will be managed a lot more carefully and I can only see him playing one game a week. That would be the perfect time to bring someone like him in, though I think it will be someone else. It wouldn't surprise me if we landed Edouard from Celtic instead though.

Actually though I have to say that the Red Bull clubs really piss me off, as it seems massively unfair that they can essentially trade players among themselves! Now to be fair, we are clearly trying to do exactly the same thing with OHL, because our owners are smart and can see what the future of football is going to look like. But I think it's massively dangerous and crappy that we are going to essentially end up with a few "franchises" that control the football world, making it next to impossible for anyone else to get in. These bigger franchises will scout the best talent in developing countries, use their tier 2 teams to develop them, and then transfer them to their tier 1 teams without anyone else being able to contest the player sale.

• Like 1