Ric Flair

Transfer targets 2020/21

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Wouldn't be aganst that tbh but lawell would do that over his own dead body. He wouldn't let a pound slip through his fingers.

....just think how much he will be losing with Celtic playing second fiddle to Rangers!!!

He is going to have the Celtic fans in his face until Klopp goes and unless he sorts out the striker situation Celtic are going to be languishing in their slipstream.

Perhaps the manager situation will be looked at, but I have no idea who is available or more importantly would want to take this on.

1 hour ago, matty98 said:

Darwin Nunez, looks like he has the ability to be an unbelievable player. Fast, strong, good in the air and very good technical ability for a big striker.

Would love that! I’d rather spend big on a striker to compete with vardy than some championship striker / back up premier league striker (josh king, che adams ilk) who are on the level of Iheanacho who isn’t good enough anyway. 

We have players to play 2 up front regularly too, 3-5-2 or even 4-4-2 with Ndidi and youri in the middle!! 

46 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....just think how much he will be losing with Celtic playing second fiddle to Rangers!!!

He is going to have the Celtic fans in his face until Klopp goes and unless he sorts out the striker situation Celtic are going to be languishing in their slipstream.

Perhaps the manager situation will be looked at, but I have no idea who is available or more importantly would want to take this on.

Yup, definitely on the first point, that's what happens when you replace a £4m per year manager with a 500k one and try and play at being a director of football yourself (Lawell).

I'm not so sure on the second point, for a number of reasons, I think Lawell and Lennon may both be gone this season and should we appoint a decent manager I think we'll get our title back next season. Even if Lawell isn't this is usually the sort of times Desmond gets involved and opens the purse strings and goes and recruits a manager himself, as he did with O'Neill and Rodgers in the past. Add in to the fact Rangers recent financial results (chairman says they need to bring in £32m by end of next season just to meet operating costs) and the fact they'll have to sell players I think we stand a good chance of wrestling back control. Next season is a very important one to win as the winners get champions league group stage access.

Eddie Howe is the one being rumoured at the moment, whether there is any truth in it I don't know. I'd be amazed if Lennon was still here though and if Lawell goes I think we should be able to attract someone half decent, the issue is more our hapless board. For example Marco Rose was apparently keen to come and we ignored him and several others and went for Lennon instead.

Gerrard has done well this season and hats off to him but he's not without his flaws either, 1 trophy in 9 (assuming they don't balls up the league) would have seen any other Rangers manager chased but his excellent European record has been his saving grace in keeping him in a job when Rangers imploded the past two seasons, prior to this one. For example, if Rodgers had stayed Rangers would never have got close to us. I know we won't ordinarily be able to attract a manager of his calibre but we sure can do a helluva lot better than Neil Lennon. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, matty98 said:

Darwin Nunez, looks like he has the ability to be an unbelievable player. Fast, strong, good in the air and very good technical ability for a big striker.

A friend is a Benfica fan and says their fans rate him massively and say he's one of the best players the have signed in a long time. Problem is that the club themselves (from their manager no less!) have come out and said he will be their record sale, which would eclipse the sale of Joao Felix, who went for...113m to Atletico Madrid!

Whilst I doubt they will get quite that much, I think we are talking about a 60m player here. I could see us spending that amount of money as a one off for one player at some point in time, to replace Jamie Vardy because he's our greatest ever player but I won't think it will be for a few years, and even then we are more likely to boost the squad instead. For example selling Chilwell to purchase Fofana and Castagne for a net spend of about 10-15m was a brilliant decision, I'd argue both the first team AND the squad is better despite losing an England International.

So great suggestion, but don't think it's a realistic one. But then again I would have said that about one Youri Tielemans :scarf:!

2 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Yup, definitely on the first point, that's what happens when you replace a £4m per year manager with a 500k one and try and play at being a director of football yourself (Lawell).

I'm not so sure on the second point, for a number of reasons, I think Lawell and Lennon may both be gone this season and should we appoint a decent manager I think we'll get our title back next season. Even if Lawell isn't this is usually the sort of times Desmond gets involved and opens the purse strings and goes and recruits a manager himself, as he did with O'Neill and Rodgers in the past. Add in to the fact Rangers recent financial results (chairman says they need to bring in £32m by end of next season just to meet operating costs) and the fact they'll have to sell players I think we stand a good chance of wrestling back control. Next season is a very important one to win as the winners get champions league group stage access.

Eddie Howe is the one being rumoured at the moment, whether there is any truth in it I don't know. I'd be amazed if Lennon was still here though and if Lawell goes I think we should be able to attract someone half decent, the issue is more our hapless board. For example Marco Rose was apparently keen to come and we ignored him and several others and went for Lennon instead.

Gerrard has done well this season and hats off to him but he's not without his flaws either, 1 trophy in 9 (assuming they don't balls up the league) would have seen any other Rangers manager chased but his excellent European record has been his saving grace in keeping him in a job when Rangers imploded the past two seasons, prior to this one. For example, if Rodgers had stayed Rangers would never have got close to us. I know we won't ordinarily be able to attract a manager of his calibre but we sure can do a helluva lot better than Neil Lennon. 

I can see Slavan Billic getting the Celtic job. 

• Like 1

So now I'm very confused. Allardyce says he's seen 3 deals scuppered due to the new transfer rules and then Charlton go and sign a Danish 31 year old journeymen striker. Are the rules relaxed in the lower leagues?

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

So now I'm very confused. Allardyce says he's seen 3 deals scuppered due to the new transfer rules and then Charlton go and sign a Danish 31 year old journeymen striker. Are the rules relaxed in the lower leagues?

I think unless you know his family tree it's hard to guess isn't it. But i'd imagine he probably has some British in there somewhere... unless they're paying him an absolute wedge which I highly doubt

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Part of me thinks Big Sam playing the media game cos WBA don’t want to spend and he can disassociate himself from their relegation 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AjcW said:

I think unless you know his family tree it's hard to guess isn't it. But i'd imagine he probably has some British in there somewhere... unless they're paying him an absolute wedge which I highly doubt

Can't see that being the case about his nationality, it needs to be a bit more clear cut than that. I mean we all originate from Adam and Eve don't we? 😂

49 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Can't see that being the case about his nationality, it needs to be a bit more clear cut than that. I mean we all originate from Adam and Eve don't we? 😂

Yeah I just mean he might have two passports :) 

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't think that transfer by Charlton has to deal with the new transfer rules/work permits, it is being done on the EU Settlement Scheme, and apparently he has been in England since early December

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5ff36a3673a68/done-deal-the-addicks-complete-the-signing-of-striker-ronnie-schwartz

"Schwartz will require Home Office approval under the EU Settlement Scheme before he can play for the Addicks, with the Charlton hierarchy hopeful of approval ahead of Friday’s game against Accrington Stanley."

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I don't think that transfer by Charlton has to deal with the new transfer rules/work permits, it is being done on the EU Settlement Scheme, and apparently he has been in England since early December

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5ff36a3673a68/done-deal-the-addicks-complete-the-signing-of-striker-ronnie-schwartz

"Schwartz will require Home Office approval under the EU Settlement Scheme before he can play for the Addicks, with the Charlton hierarchy hopeful of approval ahead of Friday’s game against Accrington Stanley."

Interesting, I wonder if this is something other clubs can explore or just a rare case of it being so close to when the new transfer rules came in to force. Watford have recently signed a Bodo/Glimt  winger who was mustard for them but not made any international appearances before and based on the media reports that Jens Petter Hague (Bodo's star who went to Milan) wouldn't have got a work permit here under the new rules seems a bit bizarre. 

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Interesting, I wonder if this is something other clubs can explore or just a rare case of it being so close to when the new transfer rules came in to force. Watford have recently signed a Bodo/Glimt  winger who was mustard for them but not made any international appearances before and based on the media reports that Jens Petter Hague (Bodo's star who went to Milan) wouldn't have got a work permit here under the new rules seems a bit bizarre. 

Looking at this article it looks like Watford managed to sign him under the same EU settlement scheme as well, as apparently he has had an address here since September

http://sportwitness.co.uk/watford-zinckernagel-transfer-brexit/

Strange as I have never really heard of this scheme being used for signings, I wonder if this could be the way of getting Sowah his work permit if he has a residence here?

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Looking at this article it looks like Watford managed to sign him under the same EU settlement scheme as well, as apparently he has had an address here since September

Strange as I have never really heard of this scheme being used for signings, I wonder if this could be the way of getting Sowah his work permit if he has a residence here?

Its basically the same "settled" ruling that means current contracted players can stay. So the likes of Youri etc for us. 

Clearly a lot of clubs have been thinking ahead, clever from Watford but you'd expect nothing less from them when it comes to transfer dealings ;) especially given Zahavi is the agent on this one lol 

2 hours ago, happy85 said:

There a lot of talk of fans thinking who we should get but no actual targets we been linked with 

Welcome to Foxestalk

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Good work, sadly it looks like these loopholes won't be as easy to obtain the longer the new rules have been in force and this isn't some evidence that the new rules aren't as difficult to meet the criteria on. 

Good point regarding Sowah, you'd hope that would be a work around and I read something about Brighton now being confident they could get Percy Tau a work permit after him playing in Belgium.

16 minutes ago, Luttfox said:

I know some will throw in the usual "bad attitude" rubbish because of how he is on the pitch, but i'd take a punt on Marko Arnautović for a season or 2

I wouldn't so much question his attitude but rather why he can't get a game for Fulham. Seems strange.