Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Kasper Schmeichel

14 hours ago, Hammo said:

Schmeichel is deserving of eternal love from Leicester supporters for his achievements with the club, but even his most ardent supporters cannot deny that, for all his world-class shot-stopping, he has for some time been a liability at corners.

It wasn’t always the case, but it has become more and more noticeable how ill at ease - I’d even go as far as to say fearful - he has become when the chance is there for him to claim the ball in his six yard box at corners. And of course every opposition manager now knows it.

Different tactics and defenders have been used to try and resolve our ‘corner issue’ all season. But the one common denominator is Kasper. And that’s a fact.

Yep, came to the realisation of this yesterday too. Couldn’t even blame “a height issue” like Roma against Everton yesterday. They only had Keane and Doucoure on the pitch that were over 6’1/6’2, so Schmeichel wasn’t exactly in the land of the giants. Yet he was still stuck to his goal line as the corner came into his six yard box.

He never came of he line for crosses since he's been here, he not going to change at 35 years old.

The reason he's been a Leicester for 10 years is because he has weaknesses, if he didn't have them he wouldn't be playing for us.

14 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I don't think it's opposition game plan. Everton only had one corner today.

In previous seasons we had better headers. Even the title winning side was fairly small, but we didn't concede from corners like we do now, but we had Huth and Morgan then who were both commanding in the air.

I agree goalkeepers install confidence collecting balls, look how good Lloris was doing it yesterday for Spurs at Anfield, but I don't think it's the sole reason otherwise, as I said, we'd have been like this every season Kasper was here.

1 corner = 1 goal.

I’d say their plan for corners worked perfectly!!

14 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

1 corner = 1 goal.

I’d say their plan for corners worked perfectly!!

My point is if it was a plan they'd have played for set pieces, which they didn't.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

My point is if it was a plan they'd have played for set pieces, which they didn't.

Yeah I agree with that point …. I wonder how long before this easy route to goals is exploited more by teams actually trying to win corners against us!? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

Yeah I agree with that point …. I wonder how long before this easy route to goals is exploited more by teams actually trying to win corners against us!? 

If Tony Pulis era Stoke were in the division they'd beat us 4-0 all set pieces!

It would be interesting to know how many goals in the PL come directly or indirectly from set pieces. It has become a major weapon for teams with limited open play ability. We may outplay some teams in that open play but our poor ability at set pieces defending or attacking is one of our major failings.

I need to see their first goal because even tho it was caught well by their LB it seemed to loop into the bottom corner, I was sat behind it. I can’t bring myself to watch the highlights but the point I’m making is I seen Pickford make two saves diving to his left which I’m sure Kasper wouldn’t have gotten close to. Time for someone new next season.

There was a time when Kasper would try and claim the ball from set pieces. And he was bad at it IIRC, so has been coached to 'stay at home'. 

That worked fine whilst the height and aerial prowess of the team was strong. But as Rodgers has evolved us to a team of tappy tappy midgets, it's no longer good enough. 

I know his distribution isn't great, but Nick Pope would be hoovering up so many of those dangerous balls in between the penalty spot / six yard box. 

Guest TheBear
15 hours ago, FOXYTALK said:

He should have commanded his box for the Roma goal on Thursday as well. That's 2x games he's cost over the last week. 

The Roma corner that led to the goal, he was stood where the corner ended up, back pedalled and almost ends up in the goal, he is so scared from corners its beyond a joke. What does he work on in training? I think he has been poor at corners for many years. It's never improved.

You only have to look at Roma and it not just about a keeper coming out, you need to have players who are dominate in the air.

Tammy Abrahams in the first leg was first to the ball and cleared nearly everyone of our attacking corners.

Without Wilf we lack physicality and height, other then a couple of CBs.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

It would be interesting to know how many goals in the PL come directly or indirectly from set pieces. It has become a major weapon for teams with limited open play ability. We may outplay some teams in that open play but our poor ability at set pieces defending or attacking is one of our major failings.

The direct / indirect distinction is really interesting too. 

At what point isn’t a goal directly from a corner? First touch only is direct??  

I’d hazard a guess that we are worse at defending corners than the stats suggest - as the goals scored indirectly will be lost in the open play stats. 

1 minute ago, 5waller5 said:

The direct / indirect distinction is really interesting too. 

At what point isn’t a goal directly from a corner? First touch only is direct??  

I’d hazard a guess that we are worse at defending corners than the stats suggest - as the goals scored indirectly will be lost in the open play stats. 

So will everyone else 

6 hours ago, Lewis's Junior said:

There was a time when Kasper would try and claim the ball from set pieces. And he was bad at it IIRC, so has been coached to 'stay at home'. 

That worked fine whilst the height and aerial prowess of the team was strong. But as Rodgers has evolved us to a team of tappy tappy midgets, it's no longer good enough. 

I know his distribution isn't great, but Nick Pope would be hoovering up so many of those dangerous balls in between the penalty spot / six yard box. 

When we won the league his high claims were highly rated if not top in the division, I previously posted stats in this thread.

as for height 

Soyuncu same height as Morgan 

Evans taller than both 

Huth is a inch taller than Evans and the same height as Fofana 

Simpson same height as Ricardo

Fuchs same height as Timmy 

59 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

When we won the league his high claims were highly rated if not top in the division, I previously posted stats in this thread.

as for height 

Evans taller than both 

In a way this is even more depressing...so you're basically saying we have little physical disadvantage to previous sides, we just don't have the organisation / aggression / will to defend. 

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

as for height 

Evans taller than both 

Height doesn't matter though if the player isn't great at the air or not good at marking. A taller player can be worse at heading than a smaller player.

Look how bad Vestergaard is in the air... and he's a giant.

Morgan and Huth were much more agressive in the air than Soyuncu and Evans. Maguire was as well, I used to think Maguire was even more commanding in the air than Morgan.

People talk about height all the time yet we won the top flight with only two really tall players (Huth and Morgan) and Fuchs who was just shorter than the two centre backs. The main two central midfielders, Drinkwater and, especially, Kante, were small.

7 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

You only have to look at Roma and it not just about a keeper coming out, you need to have players who are dominate in the air.

Tammy Abrahams in the first leg was first to the ball and cleared nearly everyone of our attacking corners.

Without Wilf we lack physicality and height, other then a couple of CBs.  

Even with Wilf, we were still the worst team in the league defending set pieces 

11 minutes ago, MPH said:

If he didn’t have a list of suitors, I’d say get Pickford in.

If Everton do go down I hope we're the first ones in line for him, he's honestly class and a total ****ing psycho which we need in the squad tbh

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lewis's Junior said:

In a way this is even more depressing...so you're basically saying we have little physical disadvantage to previous sides, we just don't have the organisation / aggression / will to defend. 

it’s the million dollar question, I don’t know why it’s worse than last season, but it’s not because players have been replaced by ”tippy tappy midgets”