Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Kasper Schmeichel

2 hours ago, Bert said:

We haven’t. Something drastic needs to happen over the close season. They say they’ve tried everything but it doesn’t seem to have worked. The players shit themselves when we have a corner, the mood in the stand instantly changes too. 

Sometimes just a break from it can change it.

However I think we will be looking a players with more height, power aggression and heading ability, in the summer.

We need to be better at set pieces at both ends of the pitch. 

2 hours ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

Thats where being commanding and using judgement comes in. Top keepers don't stop on their line. Every goalkeeper at any level should be a good shot stopper, that's their job. It's like saying a defender is good at heading, it's a minimum requirement. It's like tackling in the box, it's calculated risk, maybe sometimes a mistake is made a pen is given away or in a keepers case, you might miss a pinch or be beaten to the ball, but his current tactic of being ganged up on the goal line whilst someone heads at goal from inside the 6 yard box si not working. He needs a better starting position off his line ready to claim. I guarantee if he came out and tried to catch or punch more balls, we wouldn't have conceded anywhere near as much. It's not just Kasper's fault though, some of the marking (or lack of it) has been terrible, but too many balls come in within his range which he doesn't even attempt to deal with.

Watch he interview on Ben Foster channel, some interesting bit from both of them about claiming high balls. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

There is pros and cons for each. The positive in staying on the line is if any header does happen from a striker, you are in a good position to save it. If you have gone out and say got a hand to it, you are off your line and out of position.

I wouldn’t say having a keeper who is a stayer is a bad thing, we won the league with this style and the likes of Huth and Morgan would know it’s upto them to deal with it, which they invariably did. 

We didn’t 

he had 42 high claims that year 

currently on 12

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

We didn’t 

he had 42 high claims that year 

currently on 12

And that was also a year we had two of the most physically imposing defenders in the prem start pretty much every game.

5 hours ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

Thats where being commanding and using judgement comes in. Top keepers don't stop on their line. Every goalkeeper at any level should be a good shot stopper, that's their job. It's like saying a defender is good at heading, it's a minimum requirement. It's like tackling in the box, it's calculated risk, maybe sometimes a mistake is made a pen is given away or in a keepers case, you might miss a pinch or be beaten to the ball, but his current tactic of being ganged up on the goal line whilst someone heads at goal from inside the 6 yard box si not working. He needs a better starting position off his line ready to claim. I guarantee if he came out and tried to catch or punch more balls, we wouldn't have conceded anywhere near as much. It's not just Kasper's fault though, some of the marking (or lack of it) has been terrible, but too many balls come in within his range which he doesn't even attempt to deal with.

Ederson isn't.

6 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Ederson isn't.

He’s fine.  Probably average for starting keepers at this level (which is what the stats say).  But Ederson is so aggressive and smart about it that he stops a lot of attacks before they ever become shots.  He’s one of the reasons they concede so few shots.

I think a keeper like Ederson who is so good at other aspects of the job can have his shot-stopping ability be perceived as worse than it actually is.  Just as one who’s bad at those other aspects can have theirs perceived to be better than it actually is.

17 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

He’s fine.  Probably average for starting keepers at this level (which is what the stats say).  But Ederson is so aggressive and smart about it that he stops a lot of attacks before they ever become shots.  He’s one of the reasons they concede so few shots.

I think a keeper like Ederson who is so good at other aspects of the job can have his shot-stopping ability be perceived as worse than it actually is.  Just as one who’s bad at those other aspects can have theirs perceived to be better than it actually is.

I don't disagree that he's fantastic in other areas. He's probably the best in one on one scenarios, and while of course those stops count as 'saves', it isn't shot stopping in the classic sense of acrobatics and reflexes. 

I haven't watched every game he's ever played in, but I've seen plenty and honestly I have never seen him make a single reflex save that I would class as above average. 

Shots regularly go through and fly past him but it doesn't get picked up because pundits aren't goalkeepers. Meanwhile his diving technique is absolutely awful (lack of footwork.)

Now granted, Leicester concede more shots than Manchester City, and I watch more of LCFC than MCFC, too, but Kasper makes saves almost on a weekly basis that I have never seen Ederson make.

For what it's worth, I agree that Kasper isn't at his best from an aerial stand point and it's one of the reasons we struggle. 

Just don't take his shot stopping for granted. It isn't normal. Many keepers are much worse and very few are better.

11 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

No idea why, but could just see playing in the CL for some Danish side, has a sort of romantic symmetry (I know it doesn’t, but….)

He was on Fozcast a few weeks ago and said his career goals are to get back into the CL and win something for Denmark. He isn’t getting into CL with us in the next few years and he isn’t getting any younger. I think it’ll be mutually beneficial to part ways, as long as we can put some cash into a young keeper with a quick reaction this summer. He’s been great, but we have to say goodbye soon and he just hasn’t been on form this season.

Edited by phoneticerror
  • Like 1

I think with us having a bit of a refresh and bringing in potentially 5-6 players, we need to keep the leaders like Schmeichel, Vardy and Albrighton in and around the squad to bed the new players in, to make sure the culture and the standards are there and set.

With Schmeichels contract then running out the following summer, it would be beneficial then for both parties to go seperate ways, hopefully leave on a bit of a high, and we can integrate a new number 1 the following summer when hopefully the turnover of player won’t be as high as this summer 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, escape2victory said:

I think with us having a bit of a refresh and bringing in potentially 5-6 players, we need to keep the leaders like Schmeichel, Vardy and Albrighton in and around the squad to bed the new players in, to make sure the culture and the standards are there and set.

With Schmeichels contract then running out the following summer, it would be beneficial then for both parties to go seperate ways, hopefully leave on a bit of a high, and we can integrate a new number 1 the following summer when hopefully the turnover of player won’t be as high as this summer 

Exactly this 

I’ll say again.. having to play behind a CB pairing of Soyuncu and Amartey for most of this season, it’s only been Schmeichel that’s kept the goals conceded from being even worse due to many many top saves. 
It must be so deflating looking forward and seeing you’ve got the two ronnies playing in front of you

We need a better defence . Said it at the start of the season and saying it again now 

53 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Exactly this 

I’ll say again.. having to play behind a CB pairing of Soyuncu and Amartey for most of this season, it’s only been Schmeichel that’s kept the goals conceded from being even worse due to many many top saves. 
It must be so deflating looking forward and seeing you’ve got the two ronnies playing in front of you

We need a better defence . Said it at the start of the season and saying it again now 

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Exactly this 

Two Ronnies? both 6.1 and interestingly enough

Soyuncu 17th in headed clearances in the League

Amartery 30th in 24 appearances 

Last season, when Fofana and Evans were first choices we still had the joint worse defensive record for corners.

They both finished that season 20/21 joint 25th in headed clearances.

33 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Two Ronnies? both 6.1 and interestingly enough

Soyuncu 17th in headed clearances in the League

Amartery 30th in 24 appearances 

Last season, when Fofana and Evans were first choices we still had the joint worse defensive record for corners.

They both finished that season 20/21 joint 25th in headed clearances.

Don’t it show just how stats can be manipulated and in some cases not show the true picture 

24 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Don’t it show just how stats can be manipulated and in some cases not show the true picture 

Not really, if anything it shows that peoples excuses of the defenders heading abilities being the issue to be null and void.

2 sets of defenders over 2 seasons 

with defenders in the top 30 for heading.

So if the the defenders have been changed and defensive styles have been tried, zonal and Man to Man and  the problems still persist, what is left to change?

Edited by HankMarvin

Anybody who thinks Kasper is as good now as he was five years ago is kidding themselves and if he thinks it then so is he. His reactions remain lightening fast but other aspects of his game have regressed. Football can be a sentimental game but I think we need to move on.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, lcfc old boy said:

how much do you think we would get for him ,and who would buy him after the season the defence has had , personally i think if we decided to let kasper go it would be a free transfer.

Anyone can sign Kasper on a free in a year unless he signs a new contract here. We pay him generously at the moment, but to be fair he's earned it.

So most likely given his comments about wanting Champions League, unless we miraculously qualify next season and form is improved collectively, he'll be off for free in 13 months.

• Like 1

Kasper definitely has a future here at the club. I think the main thing is that he needs a young hungry goalkeeper pushing him for his place. If that happens then you'll see his performances improve. 

He knows that Ward isn't good enough to replace him so can get away with making mistakes.

1 hour ago, Jaspa said:

Anyone can sign Kasper on a free in a year unless he signs a new contract here. We pay him generously at the moment, but to be fair he's earned it.

So most likely given his comments about wanting Champions League, unless we miraculously qualify next season and form is improved collectively, he'll be off for free in 13 months.

so which champions league team would sign him do you think , taking into consideration how much he gets paid here