Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Kasper Schmeichel

Kasper picked the ball out of the net 50 times last season, its 56 and counting this season , they can't be all down to the men in front of him. If he stays it might be over 60 next season. If it is ,we will be lucky to stay mid-table.

40 minutes ago, lcfc old boy said:

so which champions league team would sign him do you think , taking into consideration how much he gets paid here

If his contract is up he's getting paid nothing here lol

In the podcast he did recently with Ben Foster, Kasper specifically picked out FC Copenhagen's stadium that the Danish national team play in as having the best atmosphere and that he loves in there, he's a Dane through and through and unless he is all about money, I'd assume he'd be quite partial to playing there. FC Copenhagen are practically guaranteed Champions League every season as they dominate their country.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Col thinking we're gonna have 4/5 Fofana standard players knocking about the squad for 2/3 postions I see.

We’ll have to do something

If Fofana picks up another nasty injury, we’ll have another season of conceding goals for fun, just like this one 

I know you’re a big fan of Amartey but I think even the most ardent Big Dan’ites know we need better squad players if we are to do anything at all 

This thread is about Schmeichel. I don’t agree he’s the problem. You could have had Gordon Banks in goal behind this lot and he’d have struggled 

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Not really, if anything it shows that peoples excuses of the defenders heading abilities being the issue to be null and void.

2 sets of defenders over 2 seasons 

with defenders in the top 30 for heading.

So if the the defenders have been changed and defensive styles have been tried, zonal and Man to Man and  the problems still persist, what is left to change?

Is ‘defenders for heading in the top 30’ anything to be shouting about? Top 30?

And just winning headers doesn’t imply ‘good headers’ does it? Headers can go anywhere can’t they?

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

We’ll have to do something

If Fofana picks up another nasty injury, we’ll have another season of conceding goals for fun, just like this one 

I know you’re a big fan of Amartey but I think even the most ardent Big Dan’ites know we need better squad players if we are to do anything at all 

This thread is about Schmeichel. I don’t agree he’s the problem. You could have had Gordon Banks in goal behind this lot and he’d have struggled 

I'm not even a big fan of Amartey, just recognise his position and role in the squad. Always said if we can replace him with somone better who won't cost a load and is happy to play a similar role then we should.

8 hours ago, Jaspa said:

If his contract is up he's getting paid nothing here lol

In the podcast he did recently with Ben Foster, Kasper specifically picked out FC Copenhagen's stadium that the Danish national team play in as having the best atmosphere and that he loves in there, he's a Dane through and through and unless he is all about money, I'd assume he'd be quite partial to playing there. FC Copenhagen are practically guaranteed Champions League every season as they dominate their country.

danish through and through lol how on eath did you come to that conclusion 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think Kasper is the keeper he always was - great at shot stopping with excellent reactions.  I think the requirements of a modern keeper have changed and unfortunately I don't think you would start with a Kasper in a premier league team seeking European football.  Man U have the same issue with De Gea - De Gea would not be picked up by a team wanting to win the Champions League or a World Cup (he doesn't get near the Spain team these days).

For Kasper it's not a question of form - getting a better number 2 isn't going to spur him on to be a different type of keeper.  It may keep him on his toes at what he's already good at.

• The ability to read the play in front of him - his starting position can still be quite deep for me to intercept early and from there distribute with accuracy.
  • The ability to organise the defence - we've been pulled apart at the back too many times and I would have liked him to organise them more.
  • The ability to dominate the area - I don't need to point this out but this has 2 added knock-on's.  First added pressure on defenders (particularly when we are not blessed with great cover at centre back or height in general) and second it leads us to make bad recruitment decisions (Vestergaard must have been signed partly for size as opposed to ability to make up for our lack of presence in the box).  A more dominant keeper would allow defenders to do their main job rather than have to deal with the added pressure of knowing they do not have a keeper who will come and claim consistently.  We may also be able to attract better defenders - at the moment defenders who we attract know they have added pressure at set pieces/crosses.

I know he has been more exposed this season because of our injuries in defence (Amartey has genuinely done his best but he's a squad player) and Cags having an erratic one even when fit but I think even with our first choice defence these issues exist.  

Kasper is a wonderful keeper (and without doubt is a terrific human being) but he's not a keeper any team looking to finish/challenge for Europe would have in their team - if he were available for transfer today he would be picked up by a big club as a back up, a team in Europe (FC Copenhagen as mentioned above would be the type) in a lower league or a mid-table team here.

It gives me no joy to come to this view and I'm sure the recruitment team are looking at this area - and no Ward is not the answer. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Is ‘defenders for heading in the top 30’ anything to be shouting about? Top 30?

And just winning headers doesn’t imply ‘good headers’ does it? Headers can go anywhere can’t they?

🤷‍♂️

If you actually read what is written

it says Headed clearances I think the clue is in the name on where the ball goes.

No one is on Johnny Evans thread or Foffana saying it’s anything to cheer about.

it’s it response to your criticism of your favourite player Amartery and Soyuncu being bizarrely labelled as the “Two Ronnies” Despite being over 6.1 

You then said we need better defenders, as previously pointed out when Evans and Soyuncu were both first choice last season we were joint bottom for conceding corners.

That’s 4 Top 30 defenders for defensive clearances out all all players in the league.

Your preference is to keep buying defenders in the hope that they have the heading ability to surpass the 4 previously mentioned. 
As opposed to try another option in goal?

28 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

If you actually read what is written

it says Headed clearances I think the clue is in the name on where the ball goes.

No one is on Johnny Evans thread or Foffana saying it’s anything to cheer about.

it’s it response to your criticism of your favourite player Amartery and Soyuncu being bizarrely labelled as the “Two Ronnies” Despite being over 6.1 

You then said we need better defenders, as previously pointed out when Evans and Soyuncu were both first choice last season we were joint bottom for conceding corners.

That’s 4 Top 30 defenders for defensive clearances out all all players in the league.

Your preference is to keep buying defenders in the hope that they have the heading ability to surpass the 4 previously mentioned. 
As opposed to try another option in goal?

Yes but conversely we’ve conceded more goals this season than we ever have with Kasper in goal (I believe) and I ask again… is being in the top 30 for headed clearances particularly a good thing? Genuine question. If it was in the top 10 or even 20 defenders I’d understand, but top 30?

We know that defensively we’ve been naff and whatever stats you want to bring up, it’ll tell the same story.

So… two theories are apparent for me:

1. Kasper has deteriorated so much that we’ve leaked goals due to him (highly unlikely… he’s been fine up until now?)

2. We’ve had a very weak defence in front of him.

I think (nay know) that theory 2 is the obvious one.

Im not having that we can’t have a stronger squad player than Dan Amartey. We can…

Id the same about Vestergaard. Just imagine if we’d had to rely on him lots this season

😳

The squad needs improving this summer. The likes of Vestie, Amartey, Perez, Soumare, Bertrand. none of them are good enough even as ‘replacement’ players imo. We can’t bring them in with any real confidence, thinking that they’ll be able to deputise particularly well

Edited by Col city fan

When I was in Randers I bought some match worn kit from a Danish bloke who seemed to be very well connected (he literally messaged Vestergaard on WhatsApp when I was there) and he mentioned that Kasper was off.

I mentioned I could see him at Copenhagen but he reconned his dads connection with Bromby would mean it’s unlikely. He then mentioned leagues like Portugal as places he would go to.

No idea if he was as well connected as he appeared but I did swiftly retract my joke about Kasper having to wear Large shirts as he’s fat.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

When I was in Randers I bought some match worn kit from a Danish bloke who seemed to be very well connected (he literally messaged Vestergaard on WhatsApp when I was there) and he mentioned that Kasper was off.

I mentioned I could see him at Copenhagen but he reconned his dads connection with Bromby would mean it’s unlikely. He then mentioned leagues like Portugal as places he would go to.

No idea if he was as well connected as he appeared but I did swiftly retract my joke about Kasper having to wear Large shirts as he’s fat.

Agree with the guesswork here - can see Kasper leaving this year for a modest fee, and Sporting Lisbon being his destination. Didn’t his Dad play there too?

37 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Agree with the guesswork here - can see Kasper leaving this year for a modest fee, and Sporting Lisbon being his destination. Didn’t his Dad play there too?

That was the guys theory, yeah.

• Like 1

Given Kasper's special relationship with the owners family I really can't seeing him going anywhere.

He also has a lot to give back to the game. Offload Stowell when the time comes and I am confident Kasper will slot in well as a goalkeeping coach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Yes but conversely we’ve conceded more goals this season than we ever have with Kasper in goal (I believe) and I ask again… is being in the top 30 for headed clearances particularly a good thing? Genuine question. If it was in the top 10 or even 20 defenders I’d understand, but top 30?

We know that defensively we’ve been naff and whatever stats you want to bring up, it’ll tell the same story.

So… two theories are apparent for me:

1. Kasper has deteriorated so much that we’ve leaked goals due to him (highly unlikely… he’s been fine up until now?)

2. We’ve had a very weak defence in front of him.

I think (nay know) that theory 2 is the obvious one.

Im not having that we can’t have a stronger squad player than Dan Amartey. We can…

Id the same about Vestergaard. Just imagine if we’d had to rely on him lots this season

😳

The squad needs improving this summer. The likes of Vestie, Amartey, Perez, Soumare, Bertrand. none of them are good enough even as ‘replacement’ players imo. We can’t bring them in with any real confidence, thinking that they’ll be able to deputise particularly well

As I previously mentioned Soyuncu 17th and Armartey 31st positions are relative to their appearances, they would be a lot higher if it was per 90mins as opposed to total clearances In less appearances than the players above them.

28 Soyuncu and 24 for Armartey.

To give context, there are 8 headed clearances separating 30th VVD and 19th Gabriel.

So yes both Soyuncu and Armartey  would be in the top 20 per 90.
So clearly the issues are not just with the 2 pairs of defenders we have used this year and last year.

I don’t disagree the squad needs strengthening, and as such Kasper either needs healthy competition or replacing. 

Unless you want a 3rd season following the same patterns as the previous 2 with mistakes and being the worst team in the division at dealing with Corners.

Edited by HankMarvin

32 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Given Kasper's special relationship with the owners family I really can't seeing him going anywhere.

He also has a lot to give back to the game. Offload Stowell when the time comes and I am confident Kasper will slot in well as a goalkeeping coach.

he did say in an interview he wants to be playing european footy. he may well have to move if he wants it

1 hour ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

We conceded another corner (17? For the season) in Europe with the scorer inside the 6 yard box being marked by a 5ft 9 right back, what is kaspers job to do there exactly? He either claims that or has his best header of the ball mark their top scorer yet he does neither. Absolutely delusional to suggest that kasper has no blame in our defensive frailties this season, he never leaves his line it’s pathetic. The ‘theory’ should be a combination of both that Schmeichel is simply not good enough at claiming crosses or organising his defence to defend them properly. The defence has been patchy and inconsistent all season yet with his best defence in front of him we still concede corners, what’s the common denominator I wonder?

Amartey is 5th choice cb, 5th choice full back and 6th possibly lower choice cm. Who exactly are you getting better in that that and why would you eat up valuable funds for a squad player that with a fit squad plays maybe 5 cup games a season. There’s no way he should have been played as often as he has this season but due to injuries and players form dropping off a cliff he has done and has deputised very well in parts and very badly in others. It’s to be expected for a utility man who is thrown in for a game or two at a time. But its obsessive behaviour that you constantly call him out 

So why has Kasper always been fine before? We’ve won the fookin league with him in goal! 
As for Dan.. he’s third choice at the moment it seems. No idea where you get 5th choice from 

Just now, Col city fan said:

So why has Kasper always been fine before? We’ve won the fookin league with him in goal! 
As for Dan.. he’s third choice at the moment it seems. No idea where you get 5th choice from 

But he was 6 years younger then. He's approaching middle age now. He surely can't be expected to be the same keeper at 35 as he was at 29?

13 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

By the same logic

Why isn’t Pele still playing for Brazil?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

He’s always been fine as a shot stopper, but has always been poor at crosses and corners. We won the league with Wes and huth using dark arts with var god knows how many penos we’d have given away 😂 we conceded 50 goals last year and 56 this year so far, and last season Amartey was nowhere near the side. So if 6 goals net is the difference a 5th choice utility man makes I’d say we’ve got bigger problems wouldn’t you? You’re also forgetting he is 35 now, maybe he’s just not as good as what he was?

When until this season has amartey been 3rd choice? I highly doubt we signed a cb for 15 million to have him lower in the pecking order than Big Dan, he’s simply worked his way into contention because fofana was out for 8 months, Evans couldn’t string 3 games together and for whatever reason Soyuncus head has fell off and vestergaard is utterly dirge. If Fofana and Evans had played most of the season and we had castagne fit for the whole season, I doubt BD would have totted up over 5 games

18 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

He is declining, that’s not a point of shame, nor detracts from his achievements and it is inevitable.  :dunno:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

He is declining, that’s not a point of shame, nor detracts from his achievements and it is inevitable.  :dunno:

He’s still a top gk and as I said, Gordon Banks would have struggled playing behind this defence