Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

343 - Leicester City's New Tactic takes them Top of the League

15 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

For me we now have 2 or 3 ways of playing, by using 3 or 4 formations. We could try and press from the front for the majority of the game, but with a depleted squad and all the extra games this season, come January/February all the players will be absolutely knackered, that's why having different tactics is vital IMO. As it is, we can sit back for long period of the games, look to counter and let the other team have possession, something it feels like we never did last season at all.

A couple of other points which are important too:

• Barnes is more clinical this season, or so it feels anyway. He's definitely a lot more direct, which means team don't just have Vardy to think about.
  • Under has a lot of pace, again, giving opposition something to think about. With Perez out on the wing, full backs know he won't speed past them, so can just stay with him as he isn't going to get away using his speed.
  • Maddison looks like he's getting back to his old self, much different to what he looked like at the start of the year.

That opening paragraph was exactly my first thoughts but after reading @StriderHiryu's excellent work, I now realise there is another 4 or 5 ways of playing within the 343 formation.

Excellent. Just scared we might have to password protect it so other managers can't use it to their advantage 😂 but seriously, the key takeaway is our flexibility and efficiency in so many ways. 

He banged on about it enough in his early days, I guess now os the much fabled point of being judged on "his team". 11 out of 10 from me. 

• Like 1

This 343 we're playing is very much like Chelsea under Conte, although this was rather forced on us. By playing Fuchs and Justin as the left and right centre backs it has given us a lot of flexibility going forward, you even saw Fofana doing it when he switched to right centre back. One of the 2 will go forward effectively given us 2 left or right backs to attack with, much like Azpilicueta did for Chelsea or even Walker for England in 2018. 343 quickly becomes 253 or 244 because you have a centre back who's converted from full back bringing the ball forward, which in turn allows you full backs to push further up and your 2 playing behind Vardy to push even further. One thing I'd like to see more is when this happens is your opposite "winger" getting in the box, Barnes has been doing this recently. 

Equally in defence 343 very quickly, and we've doing it efficiently too, becomes a 541. 

Will be interesting to see how or if things changes with everyone available, but it great to see us with the options, even of we did rather stumble across this way of playing

Regarding have to "protect" our tactics, I wouldn't worry too much guys as the stuff on here is still pretty basic. It's more the player level instructions and micromanagement of specific sequences of play that are more meaningful to a top level coach. For example on MOTD2 Ian Wright picked out a great passage of play on how Maddison altered his position when Traore came on so he and JJ doubled up on him at every opportunity. You could tell that they had both been told by Rodgers that it would happen at some point in the game so knew immedaitely what to do.

Our next game is Liverpool and it was interesting to see that they played 4231 that transitioned into a 424 yesterday, playing both Firmino and Jota:

image.png.44d4ab034703d395d87989b0ca5c98f7.png

They left acres of space in behind their front line, but that is as terrifying a front 4 as you are going to see in world football right now. Jota / Alexander Arnold vs Fuchs / Thomas doesn't seem like it will favour us, but if Castagne is back then JJ could play on that side instead.

• Like 1

I think the biggest difference between this season and the tail-end of last is the speed of our passing. It's like watching the same team, but with the fast-forward button pressed down ever so slightly. 

Not really sure why that is. It could be an instruction, or because of more intense training. Or it could be because of the personnel (Mendy passes a bit quicker than Ndidi, and Perez, who liked to hold on to the ball, has hardly featured).

I think for the moment, we've found a system that suits our attacking players, and also makes our "backup" players at the back look a bit better because they are less exposed compared to the way we played last year. 

The one note of caution is that we might need another way of playing against crap teams that sit in against us at home. Personally I'm not quite convinced 3 at the back is the best formation for those games, but let's wait and see! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

r/lcfc - Leicester Passmap: Leicester 1 - 0 Wolves

Anyone want to take a guess as to who our most influential player in recent weeks has been? :whistle:. I keep calling him the Belgian Xavi for a reason!

No idea, I haven't got a ****ing clue what that picture is!  I'm guessing it's either Tielemans or pirate based on Belgian and that Castagne is injured! 😂😂

Is it a ouija board? 

(semi facetious tongue in cheek, but please confirm it is your and that is where his passes(?) went during the game. - we didn't have these during David pleats final year, just Tony James, goal, why are we running on the pitch dad? Just run and hold my hand. It was fun, still no idea why we can't do it every week 😂

Edited by gw_leics772
Should have read on, all the instructions are there for divocks like me. Apologies and thanks again strider!

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Noticeable watching the highlights of Sunday’s game how we use the centre backs in possession when attacking compared to how Wolves used there. 

That’s the difference in set ups. 

Until Ricardo and Castagne are back I think Fuchs is integral in this back 3 as I'd not be as happy with Soyuncu and Evans in that back 3 bringing the ball out. I think we'd face similar issues with being slow at the back and not breaking the lines. Hopefully I'm wrong but Fuchs has been immense these recent weeks in this system and Fofana or Justin at RCB are equally as aggressive going forward with space created by the wing back or them themselves creating space for the wing back. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

Can't always be the manager fault.

Players were poor tonight!

I dont think the setup helped, left tielemans and mendy isolated and outnumbered in the middle and put too much emphasis on justin and albrighton who arent our best players quality wise. Rodgers shouldnt get too much of the blame because as you said the individual quality wasnt there tonight but the warning signs with the formation have been there for a while.

Let's be fair. Every man and his dog would have played 5 at the back today as it served us so well with the players we have available. I would have had Praet over Maddison but it's not the point, when the players didn't put the intensity or aggression needed to win any game of football. It was almost as though we had conceded the game from the start which is very unlike us. 

I've always said I'd prefer us to go 4-3-3 when our players come back but I'd still play the 5-3-2 system with the players we have available at the moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

We were caught between a low block and a meh press ..... brendan called it passive ..... surely the players were given a plan ? 

I agree with @coolhandfox, players didn't really show up tonight. For me only JJ really comes out with any credit of the outfield players. Kasper had a great game and we still lost by 3! Says it all really. 

• Like 1

It was a game where we needed ndidi (and maybe cags). Liverpool flood players forward at pace, and someone has to get a foot in to disrupt them. Defending the space doesn't seem to be an option that works against them.