Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

How annoyed are you by international breaks?

22 minutes ago, murphy said:

Rubbish!  That's just a lazy stereotype that we always hear from north of the border when each tournament comes around, perhaps to justify your own antipathy.

Just look at the international threads here, I'm definitely not reading any 'rife' superiority complex, quite the opposite in fact.

We are allowed to get excited during tournaments and we are allowed to dream but England fans are pretty realistic about their chances.  We certainly don't sit around all day talking about 1966 and how much better we are than everyone else.  If you want to hate us. knock yourselves out, but stop trying to justify it with imaginary caricatures.

Trust me mate, there is absolutely no need to make up reasons to hate three lions fans. It's not just us either, the Irish, French, German etc would agree....

But maybe I am being harsh, maybe you as a fan base are incorrectly represented by your media but one thing I will say about the attitude on here at the minute..... Wait till the latter stages of the tournament. Fair weather fans will come out the woodwork like they always do and you will see a noticable shift in attitude. 

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

But not all England fans are Leicester fans. He's talking about the hardcore nutters, the guys who travel abroad and treat it as a land grab, drink way too much and sing songs about winning wars. It is not the majority, perhaps, but one notices the noisy confident ones the most. To try and make the point further, Leicester fans got some bad press (some justified, some not) for our behaviour in Madrid, but nobody noticed those just blending in and not going for it in the Plaza Grande. That isn't to judge them, simply to point out what gets judged and what goes unnoticed.

Hmmm...  I read it that he was making a point about England fans generally, 'rife within the fan base'.  It does seem to be a popular misrepresentation (in my view) of England fans from north of the border.  

Yes, we have an element that embarrasses us on a regular basis overseas although I think that has improved, but that's a different thing.  If he had said we have a hooligan element among the fan base I probably would have agreed but the notion that England fans generally are overbearing and arrogant is not something that I recognise.

Just now, murphy said:

Hmmm...  I read it that he was making a point about England fans generally, 'rife within the fan base'.  It does seem to be a popular misrepresentation (in my view) of England fans from north of the border.  

Yes, we have an element that embarrasses us on a regular basis overseas although I think that has improved, but that's a different thing.  If he had said we have a hooligan element among the fan base I probably would have agreed but the notion that England fans generally are overbearing and arrogant is not something that I recognise.

Fair enough. I risk being called an English England hater, but my experience of my own countrymen (especially when sport is involved) is that we think we're better than everyone else. We have so many great traits as a people, but patriotic humility isn't one of them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Trust me mate, there is absolutely no need to make up reasons to hate three lions fans. It's not just us either, the Irish, French, German etc would agree....

But maybe I am being harsh, maybe you as a fan base are incorrectly represented by your media but one thing I will say about the attitude on here at the minute..... Wait till the latter stages of the tournament. Fair weather fans will come out the woodwork like they always do and you will see a noticable shift in attitude. 

Wow.  You're hating us on behalf of Europe now.  Impressive.

I don't deny that we are disliked but not just among football fans.  It's probably just because we are better than everyone else.

(That last bit was a joke btw)

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Fair enough. I risk being called an English England hater, but my experience of my own countrymen (especially when sport is involved) is that we think we're better than everyone else. We have so many great traits as a people, but patriotic humility isn't one of them.

More eloquently put than I could have but exactly what I was trying to say and like I've said a few times, the English media REALLY dont help your cause. It's unbearable at times. 

I've never taken a huge interest in international games other than tournaments (yes I'm fair weather) but with everything that has happened this year, combined with Leicester doing particularly well, our injury problems and that Southgate is dreadful, makes me absolutely despise international breaks at the moment. In the past, we have never had that many players go away on international duty, but if our squad was fully fit, we could have up to 20 players away on international duty. Whilst its great we have such talented international stars at our club, the risk of them getting injured (especially in pointless friendlies) outweighs any interest I may have previously had in international games. 

• Like 2

The world Cup has to be my favourite tournament to watch but outside of serious tournament football International football is dire to say the least. I'd rather we just have qualifiers and end the season a little earlier in a year of a major international tournament and let the manager have more time with the squad to pick the players and sort out his tactics. 

There is no chance that the 3 games this week will have given Southgate assurances about the tactics he's gonna employ in the opening game of euro 2021 when he doesn't even know who he's going to pick. Utter waste of time until just before the tournament is going to start. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Yet again, this discussion is not about “the current climate” but about international football in general.

Try reading a few more of the posts, people are mentioning different things but neither would it mean that the current climate is off limits anyway, I hadn't realised that you were the arbiter of what could be written in a thread. The only thing apparently limited is yourself. To be honest I'm bored now, but perhaps not quite bored enough to watch some meaningless international football 🤣

11 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

It's not just one fan though is it? The arrogant "we are England and we are better than you" is rife within the fan base. 

I'm not saying it's all of you but it's not one either and that arsehole element you have is demonstrated perfectly by the media. 

But England are so much better than you, that's the problem haha. England should decimate Scotland with absolute ease, it will be like one of those first round Carling Cup games when a half arsed Guardiola wearing a t shirt and wooly hat gives Foden 90 minutes and they beat Port Vale 3-0 at home whilst the coaching staff sit on the bench watching youtube videos.

The point about not winning the Nations League is exactly what i'm talking about, if tournaments comprised teams at the same level, it would be mildly interesting. Scotland v Czech Republic in Group D of the Euros will be absolutely terrible viewing.

32 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

But England are so much better than you, that's the problem haha. England should decimate Scotland with absolute ease, it will be like one of those first round Carling Cup games when a half arsed Guardiola wearing a t shirt and wooly hat gives Foden 90 minutes and they beat Port Vale 3-0 at home whilst the coaching staff sit on the bench watching youtube videos.

The point about not winning the Nations League is exactly what i'm talking about, if tournaments comprised teams at the same level, it would be mildly interesting. Scotland v Czech Republic in Group D of the Euros will be absolutely terrible viewing.

Competitions like the Nations league DO group together teams according to world rankings (which does have its issues) and results have shown England to be at the same level as teams like Denmark and Iceland. If major tournaments were closed off, you lot would be the new whipping boys because like it or not, your current team isn't up to par.

And yes, England SHOULD beat us easily, no doubt but will you?  Switzerland, Iceland, Denmark (twice) all teams you should have beaten easily in recent times and failed. Not to mention your own example of Czech republic and Scotland last time we played. 

Again, you ARE much better than us but your no where near as good as you think you are. 

• Like 1

On 17/11/2020 at 23:26, volpeazzurro said:

Try reading a few more of the posts, people are mentioning different things but neither would it mean that the current climate is off limits anyway, I hadn't realised that you were the arbiter of what could be written in a thread. The only thing apparently limited is yourself. To be honest I'm bored now, but perhaps not quite bored enough to watch some meaningless international football 🤣

But you specifically quoted and responded directly to my post, not to other ‘people’s’. 
As for the juvenile personal insults/invective, with all due respect, I decline to descend into that sewer with you. SMH 

Edited by NaijaFox

16 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

It's not just one fan though is it? The arrogant "we are England and we are better than you" is rife within the fan base. 

I'm not saying it's all of you but it's not one either and that arsehole element you have is demonstrated perfectly by the media. 

Most people I know tend to think we're crap and have been for years without any delusions of grandeur. Usually I think our lack lustre performances have been because of mismanagement as opposed to having very poor players, though of course a number of opposition teams have better ones. 

4 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Competitions like the Nations league DO group together teams according to world rankings (which does have its issues) and results have shown England to be at the same level as teams like Denmark and Iceland. If major tournaments were closed off, you lot would be the new whipping boys because like it or not, your current team isn't up to par.

And yes, England SHOULD beat us easily, no doubt but will you?  Switzerland, Iceland, Denmark (twice) all teams you should have beaten easily in recent times and failed. Not to mention your own example of Czech republic and Scotland last time we played. 

Again, you ARE much better than us but your no where near as good as you think you are. 

True but the nations league is a complete distraction, just a money making ploy from uefa and the tv companies.

Agreed on the point England are awful, i'm conscious i've not made my feelings about the team clear yet, which are: they are woeful, uninspiring and boring, southgate is a joke and they lucked their way to a world cup semi final which was barely deserved. But even compared to England's own severe shortcomings Scotland are beyond worse.

Honestly, i'd rather England lost matches and no City players were included in the squad and had a rest, than England won games and City players risked injury by playing in them, such is my disdain for international football. Club over country x 10000000 for me.

Anyway, if it's < England 2- 0 Scotland, I will eat haggis and drink 6 pints of Tennant's in your honour!

20 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

True but the nations league is a complete distraction, just a money making ploy from uefa and the tv companies.

Agreed on the point England are awful, i'm conscious i've not made my feelings about the team clear yet, which are: they are woeful, uninspiring and boring, southgate is a joke and they lucked their way to a world cup semi final which was barely deserved. But even compared to England's own severe shortcomings Scotland are beyond worse.

Honestly, i'd rather England lost matches and no City players were included in the squad and had a rest, than England won games and City players risked injury by playing in them, such is my disdain for international football. Club over country x 10000000 for me.

Anyway, if it's < England 2- 0 Scotland, I will eat haggis and drink 6 pints of Tennant's in your honour!

You should eat Haggis anyway. Its fuching delicious. As for the Tennants lager? I wouldn't wish that upon even a Forrest fan. 

England should win, probably will but what I will say is, England seem to struggle against well drilled teams and if Clarke has done one thing, it is made us organised. 

• Like 1

England are ****ing shite where has this guff about us thinking we’re better than we actually are come from?! lol 

I get more and more surprised at just how bad we actually can be some times the more I watch us play. I’ve never known an organisation to get managerial appointments so consistently wrong. The FA are a shower and Southgate is a Clown.