Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

How annoyed are you by international breaks?

18 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

I really want to like watching England as I’m English and want to see the team do well, but I’ve probably never had less interest than I currently have. I find them an uninspiring side managed by an uninspiring Manager.

The idea of bringing through youth was good for a start, but at some point it has to translate into a long term strategy. You can’t just keep bringing through young players. At some point you’ve got to build a team and decide what its identity is going to be. England have none of that.

Given the above I have little interest in the nations league and friendlies and to play anything other than qualifying games in these current times is utter madness. We should also see less qualifiers as well. Perhaps have the smaller nations play for the right to compete in a smaller group against the higher ranked nations. It serves nobody to fly everyone across. Europe to beat Andorra or San Marino 8-0. 

I do love the World Cup though and have great memories of past games and tournaments, although some of that is nostalgia. 

It may not mean anything to you and I, but I imagine that for Andorra and San Marino it is the equivalent of having Liverpool or Man United visit a non-league club for a cup tie! 

Edited by NaijaFox

Hate it personally, really couldn't give a damn anymore, club over country every day of the week. 

I will say the change in the last 20+ years has been incredible, my Grandad used to run a local back in the day and at times it was ticket only for an international night during the 90's even for a midweek friendly. 

Nowadays I think most, including me are just counting down the days until the domestic games start up again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I think 2006 was the last tournament I remember feeling genuinely heartbroken we'd lost out and we were pretty crap during that too.

2004 was unbelievably cruel because we were actually great (first game aside, nightmarish). Some rancid officiating in the game against Portugal as well as hideous luck with Rooney's injury - probably the one tournament in my football registering lifetime I couldn't see any side stopping us. I'd argue it's the only tournament since France 98 where we'd have been a half decent watch from a neutral perspective too. 

I still care, I still want England to win everything they possibly can and I'd love to be alive to see it - it's just when they lose now, it doesn't really cut through me like it used to. When Croatia made Southgate wet himself in 2018 and we went out, the slight "ah, well" deflation I felt was a fraction of that in 2006 where it felt all-encompassing. 

Exact same as me. I've not been all that bothered for a while. I feel like I should be but I'm just.... not? I wouldn't even say I was close to gutted after Croatia. I can't help how I feel.

Maybe it's just the naivety that makes it enjoyable. My Dad absolutely tore me to shreds for crying after we lost to France in 2004, and a repeat against Portugal in the shootout. Now I'm just apathetic and I'm not sure anything will ever change it.

I guess whilst there's a market for it, then continue as it is.

I find international football incredibly boring and I only enjoy and watch the World Cup.

That competition would be enough for me in all honesty. 

I wish players could opt in or out of playing for England easier. 

6 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

It may not mean anything to you and I, but I for a cup tie that for Andorra and San Marino it is the equivalent of having Liverpool or Man United visit a non-league club for a cup tie! 

These aren't normal times. It's nice for smaller teams to play the equivalent of Manchester United or Liverpool etc but, if our players are getting more and more fatigued due the unrealistic amount of football being played, nobody is the winner.

Domestic football and competition, which ultimately is the life line of our our national club infrastructure and jobs must come first. Better for Grimsby to play Liverpool in a cup than Andorra play England,  no contest for me. Neither in a pandemic is all this travel a necessity. To be quite frank, against that background, who gives a stuff about the Andorran national side or any other to be honest. It's all very well being all touchy feely and friendly about these things but it does absolutely bugger all to help players or football in real terms. Each countries club football is the most important factor as it week in week out provides bread and butter entertainment for the masses and considerable employment opportunities. International football is mere icing on the cake compared to that. As for the health of other countries club football that's down to them I'm afraid. Ours is how it is through years of tradition, support and subsequent investment. If others are behind or in front that's down to them at this point in time which are exceptional circumstances. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 2

Agree with most of the sentiments here, utterly despise the international break, pointless with no benefit. Add to that it has come at the worst possible time for City with great momentum and confidence built up pre break. Could have done with continuing to play 2 or 3 games a week whilst everyone is on form.

I wish the people in power would stop tinkering around with the club game in trying to create a super league, and instead just make the World Cup and Euros a closed shop with the same teams competing every time. I only have interest in the tournaments and the big teams that play in them (i.e, i'll never bother watching Guinea v Trinidad in the world cup), and it would save a whole host of pointless qualifiers and friendlies in between tournaments.

Anyway, only a few more days of this to go and then no more useless inetrnationals until March

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Agree with most of the sentiments here, utterly despise the international break, pointless with no benefit. Add to that it has come at the worst possible time for City with great momentum and confidence built up pre break. Could have done with continuing to play 2 or 3 games a week whilst everyone is on form.

I wish the people in power would stop tinkering around with the club game in trying to create a super league, and instead just make the World Cup and Euros a closed shop with the same teams competing every time. I only have interest in the tournaments and the big teams that play in them (i.e, i'll never bother watching Guinea v Trinidad in the world cup), and it would save a whole host of pointless qualifiers and friendlies in between tournaments.

Anyway, only a few more days of this to go and then no more useless inetrnationals until March

This. This mentality right here is why the whole world HATES England and it's fans. 

The exact same mentality shown here as shown by Liverpool and Man Utd, greed and selfishness. 

"We are England, we should automatically qualify for everything, get our own way and no other national team outside our pals should get to improve". Pathetic. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Wrong.

It's the bloody trumpet band playing the same 4 songs.

THAT'S why everyone hates us.  :P

That and, you know, in the words of Tommy Tiernan: conquering half the planet, then getting upset when those people follow you home. 

Just now, Finnegan said:

That and, you know, in the words of Tommy Tiernan: conquering half the planet, then getting upset when those people follow you home. 

Yeah, exploitation of the rest of the planet and subsequent postcolonial racism are bad, but have you ever heard the theme from The Great Escape played on three trumpets about nine hundred times? 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Exact same as me. I've not been all that bothered for a while. I feel like I should be but I'm just.... not? I wouldn't even say I was close to gutted after Croatia. I can't help how I feel.

Maybe it's just the naivety that makes it enjoyable. My Dad absolutely tore me to shreds for crying after we lost to France in 2004, and a repeat against Portugal in the shootout. Now I'm just apathetic and I'm not sure anything will ever change it.

From the outside looking in, part of it is the fact that England fans and media thought England were one of the frontrunners for the tournaments for as long as I can remember (1990 at a push) and it started to fade bit by bit from the non qualification in 2008 to date. 

Maybe because 2018 was a surprise of sorts that mentalities were different.

Last random and possibly unpopular point - Everyone slates the 2018 'easy' run to the semis yet the 1990 run was equally unchallenging until the semis too.

7 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

It may not mean anything to you and I, but I for a cup tie that for Andorra and San Marino it is the equivalent of having Liverpool or Man United visit a non-league club for a cup tie! 

Yes I get that, but requiring lower ranked nations to have to qualify to play against more illustrious competition is common in many sports.

Teams from lower divisions don’t enter at round 3 of the FA Cup like PL and Championship teams do, but enter in Round 1. Non-league teams even earlier. Happy for San Marino to get their glamour tie if they’ve proven worthy amongst their peers 

Edited by Jobyfox
  • Like 1

The first Nations League was a nice idea as it meant reducing meaningless friendlies and introduced a new method of qualifying for the Euros. 

This second version has been absolutely pointless and should have been scrapped following the pandemic. There's no major qualification involved in this version and as Finnegan said: it's clear to everyone apart from UEFA/FIFA that (other than play-offs) international football should not be going ahead at the minute.

I don't mind international breaks when there's something on the line for England, or when we're away from home. I think it could be down to the new Wembley shit atmosphere. As a kid, I'd even look forward to England v Finland at Anfield when there were no Leicester players involved. When they were touring the country, it was a lot more interesting. 

There's a general apathy of England based on years of predictable failings. The 2018 World Cup was a bit of a laugh and I don't think anyone seriously thought we'd win it.

It doesn't help that they keep expanding tournaments to the point where you just have to fill out a form to qualify.

I don't mind international football. Sure I prefer club football but I'd class myself as a fan of both Leicester and England and I therefore watch all the England games if I can so I can follow the team's progress ahead of major tournaments. I'm sure plenty of those who say they hate it or loathe it were in the beer gardens in 2018 and put their flags up every couple years which is hypocritical really.

England games of late have admittidely been very boring but that's more down to the team and the management than international football generally. I find that watching the smaller home nations over international breaks has been more exciting in the past given it's a tougher ask for them to qualify for tournaments and there are more matches that have a 'big game feel'.

The Nations League in my opinion is a very good idea that has been well implemented so far. I think because it's a new tournament people are unable to see it as a major prize for now anyway and understandably so. It is adding extra fixtures to the calendar which risks injuries but the matter of fact is international managers need these games as preparation for the Euros in the summer and it would be unfair to deny them games (Southgate only has 3 more before he chooses a squad from a large and competitive talent pool) in such a scenario. The alternative is to just not have a Euros next year. Organising friendlies however seems over the top right now as three games in 6 days for these players is too much at the moment.

17 minutes ago, Walkers said:

Not giving a toss if your country loses is fair but to actively cheer on another country against your own is just weird

I rooted for Belgium against England because of Youri and the fact that the shittier England do the sooner Southgate will be gone.

I'm only really interested if Leicester's players are involved these days. The weird kick-off times don't help mind.

Still get swept up in the fever of major tournaments and enjoy watching games with my mates, but I think that's more to do with the fact everyone in the country just seems to be enjoying themselves more when there's one on.

19 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

I rooted for Belgium against England because of Youri and the fact that the shittier England do the sooner Southgate will be gone.

I gave a fist pump when Youri bagged.

Nations League could be OK, but its just a European Carabo Cup competition, not that exciting.

Southgate is draining the life out of watching England, he seems a decent bloke but he shouldnt be the national manager if you're basing it on capbailities of being a top manager, he's not - just a perfect FA yes man.

On paper, we should have one of the most exciting, young attacking teams that we've had for a while. How he sets up that team is just criminal.

Imagine another country having a £100m+ talent in Sancho and just having him warm the bench up.