Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

How annoyed are you by international breaks?

6 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

This. This mentality right here is why the whole world HATES England and it's fans. 

The exact same mentality shown here as shown by Liverpool and Man Utd, greed and selfishness. 

"We are England, we should automatically qualify for everything, get our own way and no other national team outside our pals should get to improve". Pathetic. 

Haha, I think a lot also hate England because of the mindless thuggery shown throughout the 80s and 90s.

Your location is Greenock, great for Scotland to qualify for a major tournament for the first time in agesl. The likes of Man Utd and Liverpool wanting to break away is different, as they already play in a competitive league which is exciting. Watching Scotland get tanked 3-0 by a half arsed England at a soulless Wembley at Euro 2021 is not going to be exciting for anyone apart from a few thousand overweight, strange body shaped, pissed up Scots at Trafalgar Sq pre match. The tournament will only get interesting from QFs onwards. Most international football is absolutely dire.

I am indifferent about international friendlies but I have an unhealthy obsession when England play in a tournament - I bloody loves it 

Anyone saying that they were cheering on Belgium the other night is just saying it for attention, kind of bloke that will go down the pub and say absolutely anything loudly so somebody will disagree and inevitably talk to him :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

These aren't normal times. It's nice for smaller teams to play the equivalent of Manchester United or Liverpool etc but, if our players are getting more and more fatigued due the unrealistic amount of football being played, nobody is the winner.

Domestic football and competition, which ultimately is the life line of our our national club infrastructure and jobs must come first. Better for Grimsby to play Liverpool in a cup than Andorra play England,  no contest for me. Neither in a pandemic is all this travel a necessity. To be quite frank, against that background, who gives a stuff about the Andorran national side or any other to be honest. It's all very well being all touchy feely and friendly about these things but it does absolutely bugger all to help players or football in real terms. Each countries club football is the most important factor as it week in week out provides bread and butter entertainment for the masses and considerable employment opportunities. International football is mere icing on the cake compared to that. As for the health of other countries club football that's down to them I'm afraid. Ours is how it is through years of tradition, support and subsequent investment. If others are behind or in front that's down to them at this point in time which are exceptional circumstances. 

First, we were discussing international football in general and not just in this peculiar season of Covid.
Nonetheless, yours is the sort of mindset that leads to things like Project Big Picture (and likely to the European Super League). SMH 

Edited by NaijaFox

9 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

These aren't normal times. It's nice for smaller teams to play the equivalent of Manchester United or Liverpool etc but, if our players are getting more and more fatigued due the unrealistic amount of football being played, nobody is the winner.

Domestic football and competition, which ultimately is the life line of our our national club infrastructure and jobs must come first. Better for Grimsby to play Liverpool in a cup than Andorra play England,  no contest for me. Neither in a pandemic is all this travel a necessity. To be quite frank, against that background, who gives a stuff about the Andorran national side or any other to be honest. It's all very well being all touchy feely and friendly about these things but it does absolutely bugger all to help players or football in real terms. Each countries club football is the most important factor as it week in week out provides bread and butter entertainment for the masses and considerable employment opportunities. International football is mere icing on the cake compared to that. As for the health of other countries club football that's down to them I'm afraid. Ours is how it is through years of tradition, support and subsequent investment. If others are behind or in front that's down to them at this point in time which are exceptional circumstances. 

Turns out @Foxy_Bear had responded to a substantively similar sentiment, which if I had seen I could’ve simply cut-and-pasted and saved myself a bother. lol

7 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

This. This mentality right here is why the whole world HATES England and it's fans. 

The exact same mentality shown here as shown by Liverpool and Man Utd, greed and selfishness. 

"We are England, we should automatically qualify for everything, get our own way and no other national team outside our pals should get to improve". Pathetic. 

Edited by NaijaFox

It seems to be almost unanimous that international breaks are a bore and I feel the same.  It's a dull, blank weekend and something strange happens on this forum.  With the absence of anything meaningful to talk about people seem to get giddy, oddball threads start to pop up and endless, less than hilarious, posts ensue.  I should know, I'm as bad as anybody for it.

The best thing I can say for the international break is that it gives much of the squad a genuine rest.  Since we've been relying on a lot of our fringe and non-international players, this weekend the likes of Mendy, Albrighton, Vardy and Barnes get to put their feet up.

Hate them to be honest, especially for friendlies, plus I think having them during covid is madness.

I have always felt international football should be like a mini season, I would compress the league season so it can finish a month earlier.  Then in that month have all the international games for the entire year.

Right now I dont see the benefit of the system a few weeks playing for clubs, then its down tools, reset your mind, and do a few games for country, then back to league football for a few weeks, flip flopping between the two, that isnt healthy.

I also have barely any interest in England international games now, I am actually glad Belgium beat them, because of tielemans.

Edited by Chrysalis

9 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

That is the opinion of one England fan.  You are guilty of much worse by generalising an entire nation of football fans on the basis of a single voice.

There's lots of reasons everybody hates us.

I think a lot of people are still ignorant to how international football works. They think that after the Iceland game tomorrow that the slate is wiped completely clean, and that the squad for the next round of internationals should be picked depending on who has done well from that point. Anything they had done before the Iceland game not only for their clubs but for their country should be forgotten about. In that case (and obviously this would suit the haters) international football may aswell take place every two years. Then the same people can all moan when it looks like our side have never played with each other before, which is exactly how they want it it seems.

Southgate's job is mould a squad together to play in major tournaments every couple of summers. I saw somebody mention Harry Winks and his lack of gametime for Spurs, not only do I find it hard to believe he has played only 7mins for Spurs in the last six weeks or whatever you said, but he has been a part of the England set up for a while now. You don't just pick a squad based on minutes played otherwise the squad would be filled with average players from average teams. You then had someone like Lingard a few years ago who probably played better for England at the time than he was playing for Man Utd. It's understandable why he would get picked if say he hasn't got the form/minutes in club football because he's got his recent performances for England on his side. Same with Pickford really, I don't remember him ever doing anything glaringly terrible at international level, that is what is getting him called up repeatedly. Yet people want Nick Pope as first choice, when I've seen him this season he has actually been pretty poor, and Dean Henderson who sits on the bench at Man Utd. Picking either of those two as first choice goes against their ethos does it not?

Its just this underdog bias amongst fans, Pickford was a breath of fresh air (slight exaggeration) when he came in, a few years later and he's not this young guy trying to make a spot his own anymore, it is his spot and it makes it easier for fans to criticise. Look at the difference in how people saw Maguire when he was here and now? An 80m price tag on his head and playing for a club most people are bitter and jealous of clouds their judgement, even if he has regressed a little. Give it a few years and this Grealish hype will have turned fully on its head, especially if he gets a move to a bigger club. Chris Smalling is another example of fans questioning how he got in squads. He goes and gets out of the spotlight and re-invents himself in Italy, then some people argue he should be in the starting XI even though they haven't watched a minute of his Roma career.

As for the Nations League, it is seen as a competitive tournament by UEFA and is a fairly useful tool for small nations like Macedonia and Scotland to boost their slim chances of qualifying for major tournaments through the normal qualifying process. Try telling fans of those countries its a pointless tournament and should be scapped. Are people scared of this tournament becoming a success or something? It will never be the Euros/World Cup but it's a tidy little tournament where you play other nations around your level. If UEFA were to throw it in the bin because of Covid then they may aswell bin it off for good, no one is going to value the tournament if they refuse to value it themselves. I wonder if Portugal fans were embarrased to win it a few years ago? We've just got this weird, arrogant attitude where we have to downplay any success we have

I still claim though 99% of you who say you hate international football and don't watch it anymore would tune in tonight if we were in a World Cup Quarter/Semi-Final. Does that then make you any different to those who don't go to club matches but rush to get tickets for a cup final?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

First, we were discussing international football in general and not just in this peculiar season of Covid.
Nonetheless, yours is the sort of mindset that leads to things like Project Big Picture (and likely to the European Super League). SMH 

Bit of a wild leap of convenience I feel, it's nothing like. I'm talking about the importance of the whole of the domestic English football league and International football, not the elitism of around 6 Premiership teams? I think you're argument there is based on a false premise. Supporters are concerned about the fitness of their players which in the current climate is at very increased risk due to fatigue. Then there are others who merely dislike international football persay. 

Edited by volpeazzurro

International friendlies are just random games outside of any structured competition. So what's the point of having them? They should be treated as practice matches, and as such, should not have paying spectators or tv coverage. Apart from football, I'm struggling to think of any other sport where such meaningless events are staged so publicly. The only thing that could make these friendlies even remotely interesting would be if the rules were experimented with, like having no off-side rule.

I’ll be the lone voice that says they don’t mind it and I actually quite like a break from working out when in the weekend I’m going to be most stressed because Leicester’s playing.

World Cups and European Champs finals tournaments are right up there too for me, and the fact is you have to have qualifiers.

There probably is too many friendlies which the Nations League was brought in to look at fixing. Having said that, I’ve no idea why nations are playing three matches in these recent windows just to fit another friendly in.

• Like 3

I loved international football as a kid, but the older I get the less I care (until an international tournament). Not sure if it's an age thing or my dislike of the manager and the vast majority of the team.

I was delighted when I came on here Sunday and realised youri had scored against us!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Haha, I think a lot also hate England because of the mindless thuggery shown throughout the 80s and 90s.

Your location is Greenock, great for Scotland to qualify for a major tournament for the first time in agesl. The likes of Man Utd and Liverpool wanting to break away is different, as they already play in a competitive league which is exciting. Watching Scotland get tanked 3-0 by a half arsed England at a soulless Wembley at Euro 2021 is not going to be exciting for anyone apart from a few thousand overweight, strange body shaped, pissed up Scots at Trafalgar Sq pre match. The tournament will only get interesting from QFs onwards. Most international football is absolutely dire.

It was great for us qualifying for the first time in years. You're right but here's the thing. Major tournament or not  those "overweight, strange body shaped, pissed up Scots" will be there like they have done for the last 22 years. Singing dancing and having a laugh, win lose or draw because we clearly view international games differently from our southern cousins. 

It's a laugh for us. A chance to go to places like Malta, San Marino, Cyprus and mix with the locals and have a good time. It's a chance to sit in the pub and enjoy a game with yer pals who and support the same team for a change. 

You lot are so up your own arse and take everything so seriously. As for it not being competitive? Win your Nations league group first before moaning about it being too easy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, murphy said:

That is the opinion of one England fan.  You are guilty of much worse by generalising an entire nation of football fans on the basis of a single voice.

There's lots of reasons everybody hates us.

It's not just one fan though is it? The arrogant "we are England and we are better than you" is rife within the fan base. 

I'm not saying it's all of you but it's not one either and that arsehole element you have is demonstrated perfectly by the media. 

I don't care for the England national team, but I generally don't mind internationals at the worst of times and enjoy it at the best of times. I guess having experienced '92 as a kid is something that greatly influenced me and got me into football in the first place.

9 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

It's not just one fan though is it? The arrogant "we are England and we are better than you" is rife within the fan base. 

I'm not saying it's all of you but it's not one either and that arsehole element you have is demonstrated perfectly by the media. 

Rubbish!  That's just a lazy stereotype that we always hear from north of the border when each tournament comes around, perhaps to justify your own antipathy.

Just look at the international threads here, I'm definitely not reading any 'rife' superiority complex, quite the opposite in fact.

We are allowed to get excited during tournaments and we are allowed to dream but England fans are pretty realistic about their chances.  We certainly don't sit around all day talking about 1966 and how much better we are than everyone else.  If you want to hate us. knock yourselves out, but stop trying to justify it with imaginary caricatures.

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Bit of a wild leap of convenience I feel, it's nothing like. I'm talking about the importance of the whole of the domestic English football league and International football, not the elitism of around 6 Premiership teams? I think you're argument there is based on a false premise. Supporters are concerned about the fitness of their players which in the current climate is at very increased risk due to fatigue. Then there are others who merely dislike international football persay. 

Yet again, this discussion is not about “the current climate” but about international football in general.

5 minutes ago, murphy said:

Rubbish!  That's just a lazy stereotype that we always hear from north of the border when each tournament comes around, perhaps to justify your own antipathy.

Just look at the international threads here, I'm definitely not reading any 'rife' superiority complex, quite the opposite in fact.

We are allowed to get excited during tournaments and we are allowed to dream but England fans are pretty realistic about their chances.  We certainly don't sit around all day talking about 1966 and how much better we are than everyone else.  If you want to hate us. knock yourselves out, but stop trying to justify it with imaginary caricatures.

But he's not talking about us, is he? When he says 'you', he means England fans, not Leicester fans.

• Thanks 1

I don't really feel part of it. I've been to one England match ever (at the old Wembley in 1999). It finished 0-0. Maybe if I'd been a bit more and seen some thrillers it might resonate but you're watching players on the TV who play for other teams. I know I used to be into it and loved the tournaments but that has gone too.

It was good to see how Vardy did for a couple of years, Maguire at the World Cup too and I hope Barnes and Maddison get a go but generally I feel detached from the England team.

I don't necessarily mind the international break as you can have a rest from Leicester and maybe go and watch a non-league game to pass the time but that wasn't an option this time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

But he's not talking about us, is he? When he says 'you', he means England fans, not Leicester fans.

I don't geddit?  Leicester fans would be England fans, by and large.

I think the general feeling of disinterest demonstrated in this thread for the national team serves to counter the argument he has put forward perfectly.

8 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

should just hold Euros and World cup all teams qualify, few friendlies a month before tournament and that's your lot.

scrap all this nation league, qualifiers and pointless friendly's

And all 195 (or 250+, depending on who’s counting) nations show up? lol

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Haha 2

Just now, murphy said:

I don't geddit?  Leicester fans would be England fans, by and large.

I think the general feeling of disinterest demonstrated in this thread for the national team serves to counter the argument he has put forward perfectly.

But not all England fans are Leicester fans. He's talking about the hardcore nutters, the guys who travel abroad and treat it as a land grab, drink way too much and sing songs about winning wars. It is not the majority, perhaps, but one notices the noisy confident ones the most. To try and make the point further, Leicester fans got some bad press (some justified, some not) for our behaviour in Madrid, but nobody noticed those just blending in and not going for it in the Plaza Grande. That isn't to judge them, simply to point out what gets judged and what goes unnoticed.