Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

How annoyed are you by international breaks?

I enjoy the big tournaments. Only as it breaks up the summer and I kinda like games on at 2pm and 5pm on a random weekday. And geekily i like learning about some previously unknown russian or Brazilian host city

But as for the breaks themselves, it's tedious. And, genuinely, I'd swap a routine 2-0 win on any given season away at Palace than England winning a world cup. I'd be pleased if England won, but it wouldn't feel any kind of  personal triumph - whereas City winning any match feel very personal 

• Like 1

I like the nations league but I’d like the no. of games reduced. Getting rid of meaningless friendlies for semi-competitive games only works if there’s not too many of them against the same teams all the time. It’d be better if it was more dynamic than the groups 

I really want to like watching England as I’m English and want to see the team do well, but I’ve probably never had less interest than I currently have. I find them an uninspiring side managed by an uninspiring Manager.

The idea of bringing through youth was good for a start, but at some point it has to translate into a long term strategy. You can’t just keep bringing through young players. At some point you’ve got to build a team and decide what its identity is going to be. England have none of that.

Given the above I have little interest in the nations league and friendlies and to play anything other than qualifying games in these current times is utter madness. We should also see less qualifiers as well. Perhaps have the smaller nations play for the right to compete in a smaller group against the higher ranked nations. It serves nobody to fly everyone across. Europe to beat Andorra or San Marino 8-0. 

I do love the World Cup though and have great memories of past games and tournaments, although some of that is nostalgia. 

• Like 2

I think 2006 was the last tournament I remember feeling genuinely heartbroken we'd lost out and we were pretty crap during that too.

2004 was unbelievably cruel because we were actually great (first game aside, nightmarish). Some rancid officiating in the game against Portugal as well as hideous luck with Rooney's injury - probably the one tournament in my football registering lifetime I couldn't see any side stopping us. I'd argue it's the only tournament since France 98 where we'd have been a half decent watch from a neutral perspective too. 

I still care, I still want England to win everything they possibly can and I'd love to be alive to see it - it's just when they lose now, it doesn't really cut through me like it used to. When Croatia made Southgate wet himself in 2018 and we went out, the slight "ah, well" deflation I felt was a fraction of that in 2006 where it felt all-encompassing. 

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
Typo
  • Like 2

For me international football died in 1996.As soon as the likes of Zoe Ball etc decided they were massive football fans that was it.I love watching England lose because my head just won’t allow me to support the big clubs players.My interest goes up slightly if a Leicester player gets called up.Loved it when Vardy scored for example.I also enjoy the resulting meltdown when we lose.

As above, 2006 was probably the last time I felt any sort of connection.

I just really dislike the players in the squad and manager and can't bring myself to cheer them on. Was delighted when Tielemans scored last night and was delighted when Kasper kept a clean sheet against us last month.

Spurs fan I used to work with used to say he'd prefer England to win a tournament over Spurs winning anything (I know). I just didn't get it.

3 hours ago, TK95 said:

It doesn't even guarantee you qualification. Just affects your seeding/possible play-off

In fact if it did give direct qualification, I think teams would take it seriously

Oh I thought if you win the whole thing you're guaranteed a place in the euros albeit the team that wins it is most likely to have won their qualifying group anyway. The fact that it just affects your seeding makes it a void competition. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Sad to think since 2000 England have only played 8 Leicester players in that time, with five of them only coming in the last five years. A little challenge for everyone without using google or wiki, name all eight players.

Walker, Heskey, Drinkwater, Vardy, Maguire, Barnes, Maddison, Chilwell.

4 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Sad to think since 2000 England have only played 8 Leicester players in that time, with five of them only coming in the last five years. A little challenge for everyone without using google or wiki, name all eight players.

Guppy

Heskey

Drinkwater

Maguire 

Maddison 

Vardy

Barnes 

Chilwell

Although 6 of them were in the last five years? 👀

I upset me Dad after telling him that, on balance, I was glad Belgium won since Youri scored while none of our players were involved for the Three Lions.

Yes, that's a fickle way to look at it, but even aside from club loyalty, the way Southgate tried to shoehorn Mount in alongside Grealish just to avoid having to drop him p*ssed me off enough that I was willing to cheer against my own country. A lot of the criticism of GS' team selection is unwarranted, particularly up front, but Mount shouldn't even be ahead of a fit Madders as a second choice in the AMF role, let alone an untouchable on that teamsheet. There's trying to keep a close-knit squad, then there's just pure favouritism, which is exactly what's on display in the England camp right now. See also - Eric Dier's continued inclusion.

Sorry, not sorry - and that's without even considering what BS it is that internationals are continuing during a global pandemic. Frankly, despite how great we're doing in it, I don't think even the Europa or Champions League should be allowed to take place this season.

Edited by OntarioFox

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

Ian Walker
Emile Heskey
Jamie Vardy
James Maddison
Harvey Barnes
Harry Maguire
Danny Drinkwater

Last one's a tough one... I'd like to say Steve Guppy? Certainly deserved one.

The biggest travesty is that peak Danny Simpson and Marc Albrighton never got a call-up. We might never have had Kane out taking corners if he had Marc's crosses to get on the end of at Euro 2016. I guess it at least led to a good song for Danny. lol

Edited by OntarioFox

8 hours ago, Collymore said:

Don't you just love that feeling when you're at work, or going about some mundane business on a Thursday, and you forget for a moment that the game's on, then remember again and get really excited?

Or wake up on a Sunday morning and as your brain's booting you suddenly remember you've got the game to look forward to and get that excited feeling again. 

I absolutely despise the international break with a passion, I think it's even more magnified how much I hate it due to lockdown...

Personally, I need the international breaks.

Between our 3 games every 8 days and checking-in on FT for pre-game/post-game analysis, there's barely time for other stuff! lol 

Edited by NaijaFox

1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

Sorry, not sorry - and that's without even considering what BS it is that internationals are continuing during a global pandemic. Frankly, despite how great we're doing in it, I don't think even the Europa or Champions League should be allowed to take place this season.

Had this discussion previously on FT.

The Europa Cup (as the Nations League) are to smaller clubs (and smaller nations) what the Milk Cup and FA Cup are for smaller domestic clubs.

I am not necessarily a big fan of international football (albeit I watch the 'better' games), but if you want to cut down on fixtures during this pandemic-affected season, then it is relatively far easier to compromise on the domestic schedule instead of expecting foreign countries to give up their qualifying games for the World Cup and continental championships (Asian, AFCON, etc). Frankly, there seems no rational reason why domestic clubs already burdened with the extra games in Europe should be burdened with participation in the Milk Cup (or perhaps even the FA Cup). There's nothing about these domestic cups that makes them any more sacrosanct than international or continental competition.

Having said all of the foregoing, my personal opinion nonetheless is that all international friendlies should have been (or be) scrapped for this pandemic season. It's especially befuddling (and frankly mildly irritating) that primarily European nations insist on shoe-horning an extra game into the international breaks to accommodate friendly games. I am not aware of South American, Asian or African nations doing the same.