Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban fox

PL managerial merry go round

I think Rodgers would go Arsenal if given the opportunity. However I don’t think he’d be their no. 1 choice. They’d rather go for an allegri or Rafa. You only have to look at their recent history they go for foreign managers/ex players. Who was there last British coach? Think it was Bruce rioch. Which is 25+ years ago. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I think Rodgers would go Arsenal if given the opportunity. However I don’t think he’d be their no. 1 choice. They’d rather go for an allegri or Rafa. You only have to look at their recent history they go for foreign managers/ex players. Who was there last British coach? Think it was Bruce rioch. Which is 25+ years ago. 

I would imagine that his appointment wouldn’t go down well with their fanbase.Not exotic or continental enough.Half joking.

1 minute ago, Heathrow fox said:

I would imagine that his appointment wouldn’t go down well with their fanbase.Not exotic or continental enough.Half joking.

I do think Rodgers is turning opinion round especially with results against the so-called top 6 this season. Looking at the arsenal forum there looks a few who would want either him or poch. 

• Like 1

Personally can't see Rodgers going to Arsenal when the inevitable happens. Last time the job came up he dropped a few hints about it being a compliment that he was being linked, got himself a shiny new contract and declared that he was always committed to "the project" here.

Words are cheap (unlike his pay increase) but i believe that if there really was a genuine interest, if he had wanted to go then he would have. I would like to believe that he meant what he said at the time and means to see it through here. If, in a couple more seasons we are still not consistently challenging for top 4 and trophies, then he may feel that he has taken us as far as he can and move on when the opportunity arises.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Chelsea are an unstable club but spend more than enough to get success despite this. Rodgers is a manager who wants time to build things and not a manager like Mourinho et al. who are happy to be there for a short period of time and are given huge budgets to achieve success. Actually thought Chelsea had changed their policy with Frank Lampard but a little bad form and they get rid. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, shailen said:

Chelsea are an unstable club but spend more than enough to get success despite this. Rodgers is a manager who wants time to build things and not a manager like Mourinho et al. who are happy to be there for a short period of time and are given huge budgets to achieve success. Actually thought Chelsea had changed their policy with Frank Lampard but a little bad form and they get rid. 

Just a sad reflection of the times in general. Very few clubs give any manager the time these days. Man Utd may well have bucked that trend - weird. Still don’t think OGS is the man, but it’s good to see a huge club showing patience. Few do. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Just a sad reflection of the times in general. Very few clubs give any manager the time these days. Man Utd may well have bucked that trend - weird. Still don’t think OGS is the man, but it’s good to see a huge club showing patience. Few do. 

United might be entitled to say they have a tradition of giving managers time, relative to other huge clubs.  They benefited by keeping patience with Fergie in the early years when he struggled. 

8 minutes ago, murphy said:

United might be entitled to say they have a tradition of giving managers time, relative to other huge clubs.  They benefited by keeping patience with Fergie in the early years when he struggled. 

Indeed. You’ll never see quite that level of patience again I don’t think. Impressive really. 

I don’t think Lampard attitude was right, it was almost like he went in and saw it as his yard, so therefore I will be the top dog. I think in all honesty he was destined to fail. You can’t go to Chelsea and it only be your second managerial job...... perhaps he will end up at Celtic to revive that Lampard V Gerrard showdown. 

48 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Agreed, too many clubs want instant success that the likes of Chelsea and Man City have had in the past, but its hardly ever the case especially now with FFP. I do think OGS is more astute than what people give him credit for. He's gone really well in most big games and tactically sets a team up to make them hard to beat. 

• Like 1

Lampard could become a good manager.   

He was the Premier League's least experienced manager except Arteta. 

Interesting that two of Hyped 6 employed managers lacking experience,  three if you consider Holder's league winning manager as inexperienced.

Managers throughput the premier league have achieved a lot.  I don't think Bruce is a terrible manager- it's all relative;  he just happens to be about the worst in the division at a poorly run club.

Lampard was doing okay at Derby.  He may well get an9ther chance at another club seeking resurgence.

Lampard I think could do a great job at the right club, Chelsea with their expectations was probably too big a jump for him at an early stage of his career.

You just know his next job will be Leeds and I think that would be a great fit for both of them, and their fans would hate it initially.