Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

FA Cup - 4th & 5th Round Draw

Fourth round draw? Without replays nowadays, a draw is the one result that's not possible! Thinking about the FA Cup draws generally, with a small change to the process, none of draws following the 3rd. Round draw would be necessary, if for example the entire set of ties beyond that point were determined by the order in which the 3rd. Round ties were made. Simply by having the winners of the first two ties drawn out of the hat playing each other, then the winners of that playing the winners of the next two ties drawn from the hat, and so on down the list of 32 matches, the entire pyramid of ties up to the Final itself would result. And because the order of the 3rd. Round draw is entirely random, nothing would be lost in terms of the competition's ability to throw up David v. Goliath matches. Having separate draws for each round merely adds unnecessary extra layers of randomness to the process.   

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Fourth round draw? Without replays nowadays, a draw is the one result that's not possible! Thinking about the FA Cup draws generally, with a small change to the process, none of draws following the 3rd. Round draw would be necessary, if for example the entire set of ties beyond that point were determined by the order in which the 3rd. Round ties were made. Simply by having the winners of the first two ties drawn out of the hat playing each other, then the winners of that playing the winners of the next two ties drawn from the hat, and so on down the list of 32 matches, the entire pyramid of ties up to the Final itself would result. And because the order of the 3rd. Round draw is entirely random, nothing would be lost in terms of the competition's ability to throw up David v. Goliath matches. Having separate draws for each round merely adds unnecessary extra layers of randomness to the process.   

It also adds that excitement of anticipation of not knowing who you get to play,  that you don't get with your earlier system.

An open draw for every round is intriguing, and exciting. which adds to the glamour of the FA Cup. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

It also adds that excitement of anticipation of not knowing who you get to play,  that you don't get with your earlier system.

An open draw for every round is intriguing, and exciting. which adds to the glamour of the FA Cup. 

Yeah, knowing everyone's potential route to the final - especially the big clubs - would detract hugely from the enjoyment of the Cup! I still get nervous watching every draw, even this year when there's no chance of going.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paul Miller said:

Yes, It looks a good tie on paper, with two of the best attacking teams in their respective Divisions, look forward to it when it eventually gets played.

Hope your players, manager and staff don't have it too bad! 

I'd be surprised if it gets bumped too much further along the calendar, as our Europa League commitments start up again on 18th February. Hopefully it can happen on the day it's scheduled for and you don't have to play the B team.

• Like 1

We're on BT Sport against Brentford.

Friday, 22 January

Chorley v Wolves (19:45) - Live on BT Sport 1

Saturday, 23 January

Southampton or Shrewsbury Town v Arsenal (12:15) - Live on BT Sport 1

Cheltenham Town v Manchester City (17:30) - Live on BBC One

Sunday, 24 January

Chelsea v Luton Town (12:00) - Live on BBC One

Brentford v Leicester City (14:30) - Live on BT Sport 1

Manchester United v Liverpool (17:00) - Live on BBC One

Everton v Sheffield Wednesday (20:00) - Live on BT Sport 1

Monday, 25 January

Wycombe Wanderers v Tottenham Hotspur (19:45) - Live on BT Sport 1

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Just been on the Brentford forum and most of the fans on their seem to think that if they dont rest so many players like last years loss to us (which they should've won of course) then they should beat us. Some of the comments were hilarious, such as if the teams were 1st starters each then itd be an equal game 🤔

I think a lot of good championship teams fans overestimate the ability of their team. You see it no end, and I think we were the same on here when we first came back up again. 

Make absolutely no mistake our full 1st XI takes Brentford to the cleaners 9 games out of 10 in most circumstances and I’m comfortable in saying that. At the minute though the circumstances aren’t quite normal and we probably will make a few changes so it’ll be closer than we’d like I think, but we should still be winning. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Manini said:

I think a lot of good championship teams fans overestimate the ability of their team. You see it no end, and I think we were the same on here when we first came back up again. 

Make absolutely no mistake our full 1st XI takes Brentford to the cleaners 9 games out of 10 in most circumstances and I’m comfortable in saying that. At the minute though the circumstances aren’t quite normal and we probably will make a few changes so it’ll be closer than we’d like I think, but we should still be winning. 

I didn't realise how big the gap was. When we were in the Championship and pushing for promotion under Pearson I thought we'd be okay but it was evident some of the player's weren't good enough once we got into the PL. The gap is big.

But most fans overrate their squad. When we've won a couple you'd think we were the best in the league but a couple of defeats and we're doomed. And tbf to Brentford they've just got to the semi-final of the league cup this season. Hopefully they will come up eventually because they are a decent side who like to play decent football.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I didn't realise how big the gap was. When we were in the Championship and pushing for promotion under Pearson I thought we'd be okay but it was evident some of the player's weren't good enough once we got into the PL. The gap is big.

But most fans overrate their squad. When we've won a couple you'd think we were the best in the league but a couple of defeats and we're doomed. And tbf to Brentford they've just got to the semi-final of the league cup this season. Hopefully they will come up eventually because they are a decent side who like to play decent football.

Yeah 100% I was the same I thought we’d come up and really surprise a few and be comfy. Similar to Leeds now I suppose. It looked for a lot of that season that we were going to finish rock bottom. 

The only exception I can remember are probably Wolves but that wasn’t a normal championship winning team....still didn’t break 100 points like us though. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Manini said:

Probably not surprising given the number of games a team wins on the way up. However, I'd say that any overestimation by our fans was quickly shattered in the first game against Everton, especially first half. Amazing that we got a 2-2 (and Sir Jeff's shot that landed on Aylestone Road). Clear that we were up against it from that evidence. 

On 14/01/2021 at 19:02, Fox92 said:

When we  have fielded anything like a full strength side we    recently have had no difficulty   with winning comfortable Stoke being a goo example

9 hours ago, Foxaholic ME said:

When we  have fielded anything like a full strength side we    recently have had no difficulty   with winning comfortable Stoke being a goo example

That's how it should go but nothing is as straight forward as that! If it was then FA Cup giant killings wouldn't happen.

The Athletic just published a piece on clubs' luck (or lack thereof) over the last ten years' worth of FA Cup and League Cup draws.

For me it was much ado about nothing.  They are analyzing a freaking lottery; what is there to say about the luck of the draw?  I'll just share this one graphic.

Not that I want to spin up the conspiracy theorists or anything :ph34r:

1759229583_CupDraws.thumb.JPG.5cb1f68577923b165034c18540dc35cd.JPG

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KingsX said:

The Athletic just published a piece on clubs' luck (or lack thereof) over the last ten years' worth of FA Cup and League Cup draws.

For me it was much ado about nothing.  They are analyzing a freaking lottery; what is there to say about the luck of the draw?  I'll just share this one graphic.

does that table go any further down? I would love to see Man City’s percentage, especially if it doesn’t count finals where it’s not really a draw.

2 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

does that table go any further down? I would love to see Man City’s percentage, especially if it doesn’t count finals where it’s not really a draw.

Man City came out as having a lot of difficult draws because they always go so far in competitions, so a bit flawed in that sense.

Makes sense. We’ve been finishing around or above the ‘Big Six’ for the last few years so we’ve often had a side as good, or better than, them. We go as deep into the cup competitions as they do so we inevitably end up meeting them.

No Leicester fan can complain about recent cup draws when Puel threw away two quarter finals against Manchester City’s B team with favourable ties waiting in the semi-final and when we bottled a League Cup semi-final against a poor Aston Villa side.

7 hours ago, KingsX said:

This isn't surprising, is it? We've tended to make the quarters in cup competitions a fair bit recently bar the odd howler, be more of a surprise if you avoided them at stage - and clubs in the 'Big Six' can't play themselves so they've a smaller pool to go against.

8 hours ago, KingsX said:

Now we tend to smash 'the big six', this seems OK, now 😄