Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

4 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Tbf the instances in football were social media comments from years before, they haven't punished that hard. Thinking Hamza, Bowen and Rice here. 

It comes back to what I think a lot of times when we come to these debates about racism and sexism in sport - we are on the whole, white males, making decisions about punishing white males. It requires the input of those targeted to really understand what may be considered offensive and suitable punishment. 

The ECB have to act - they can't afford to let it linger in an era where the England Cricket Women's team have deservedly increased their media coverage so much and Cricket's racial multiculturalism is so fundamental to the sport. We've all seen in sport how allegations/actions linger years on if the person is not deemed punished appropriately. 

I'm sure he'll get a ban but surely the damage is done? His reputation will forever be tainted by this. The ECB could've handled this better by having a proper background check, possibly even flagging it up themselves and sorting it earlier but I think any ban now will be more cosmetic than anything.

Maybe getting him to talk to youngsters about what he did, why it was wrong and to educate themselves before posting, like a community service type thing, would be better?

2 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Robinson will probably be left out the rest of this summer. Shame really because he took his chance really well. But wil then be reintroduced in Australia when most people would've moved on to the next person who has been caught out. 

Looking like it could be Craig Overton who replaces Robinson who has played Tests before but has been suspended and banned for comments in the past.

22 hours ago, StanSP said:

I didn't think he'd actually get banned. How old was he when he did those? 

We've all said stupid shit on social media when we're kids or younger and don't know much better. I think it's harsh to suspend him now for what was said several years ago. 

Racist shit..???

• Like 2

The tweets were disgusting. I've read them, and they are racist and sexist. They were a long time ago, and whilst I think Robinson needs some personal support going through this, I do think the ECB had no choice  - they had to come down hard on this. I've played cricket since I was a kid (I'm in my fifties now). I've rarely witnessed overt racism, but I've seen and heard plenty of more subtle racism, and more often than not I haven't been brave enough to call it out. I wish I was braver. Cricket is much like our society I guess. There is a creeping, insidious racism and sexism, and we have to do better. This isn't really about Ollie Robinson - it's about where we are as a society, and where and what we want to be. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

If it had been a footballer would they have been so supportive?

Who knows, we've not seen any recently with Hamza for example. Seems an odd one for them to get involved in. 

Just as how they've decided to tell people to support the knee before a match, but won't condemn those booing it

• Like 1

Overton’s alleged offence disgusts me a bit more tbh, to stoop that low and to direct it so personally is really grim and his punishment was extremely light handed. The Buttler / Morgan tweets and Instagram comments leave a really taste as well, something really quite nasty about them 

8 hours ago, theessexfox said:

Overton’s alleged offence disgusts me a bit more tbh, to stoop that low and to direct it so personally is really grim and his punishment was extremely light handed. The Buttler / Morgan tweets and Instagram comments leave a really taste as well, something really quite nasty about them 

What is allegedly said? 

ECB have set a precedent now with the Robinson incident. If there are similar offences they can't be seen to hand out different punishments just because of the status of the player. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What is allegedly said? 

ECB have set a precedent now with the Robinson incident. If there are similar offences they can't be seen to hand out different punishments just because of the status of the player. 

Overton allegedly told a Pakistani batsman to go back to his own country. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2015/dec/13/ashar-zaidi-somerset-craig-overton-apologise-racist-behaviour

No alleged about Morgan and Buttler and co. - less overt but really quite cold and unpleasant I think. 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What is allegedly said? 

Fully agree. Now they've made a big example of Robinson, anyone crossing the line needs to be dealt with in the same way. 

Im struggling with the Morgan/Butter comments? Assume the issue is they are taking the piss out of Indian followers? Is that racism or just taking the piss? Is there allowed to be a difference? Unless I'm missing something. 

I do think there is an element of diluting serious racism by focussing so much on these type of 'offences', as it makes it looks like organisations are acting on it. 

The overton offence is certainly the worst for me, as it's directed at an individual with intent. 

Edited by RowlattsFox

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

Im struggling with the Morgan/Butter comments? Assume the issue is they are taking the piss out of Indian followers? Is that racism or just taking the piss? Is there allowed to be a difference? Unless I'm missing something. 

I do think there is an element of diluting serious racism by focussing so much on these type of 'offences', as it makes it looks like organisations are acting on it. 

The overton offence is certainly the worst for me, as it's directed at an individual with intent. 

Agreed with the Overton one. Definitely worse and its the kind of comments that were aimed at Asians since the 70s. 

As for Buttler/Morgan, its mocking them, really. More the 'casual racism' (I don't think it's that bad but then maybe I'm desensitised to it). It's the kind of stuff you hear at school or just really, really immature things. It's childish 'humour'. But as a pro they should know better with comments like that on a public platform where someone might take offence or take it the wrong way. 

The best thing for people to do is just not say anything that could be classed as racist, because the way world is going these days someone will twist anything they can to call someone racist.

There are things you can’t say now that people “could’ve got away with” 10/15 years ago. It’s similar to the amount of things on tv that were aired way back when, which today would never be shown. Sadly, I don’t think racism will ever be eradicated, mainly due to a lot of ignorance. People either need to get educated or just not say anything. 

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Shoutout Cross Country whose ridiculous train policy made it look like all trains to Birmingham are sold out. Thought I was going to have to walk to Edgbaston!

Mind you, we probably wont have any players left.

Yeah it's fcuking mad. 

Pandora's box is now open so the ECB have a real problem on there hands regarding any historical social media posts. 

It will be interesting to see how they handle it and what sanctions are put in place. No doubt Robinson deserves some reprimand as he was an adult at the time, ECB will need to put some sort of punishment escalation system in place.

On the other hand it was a great debut for him and hopefully he can continue after he's served his suspension.

• Like 3

What changes does everyone expect to see for the second test at Edgbaston?

I'd probably see Overton for Robinson as a like for like replacement, Stone for Wood and maybe rotate Broad and Anderson? I'd like to see Hameed come in for Crawley as he looks out of sorts and play Sibley at 3.