Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
majaco

Transfer targets ongoing

Message added by Mark,

19 minutes ago, Dusty said:

Watford wanted that much because they bought him for near £30m. Pereira cost Brom hardly anything, can see him moving for £15m this summer. They only want £10 for Johnstone in goal as well (not that I want him at all).

If he goes which i dont think he will it wont be south of 20m. He could go on a loan for a season but West Brom will see him as a key player to get them back up so they wont let him go on the cheap.

Not sure where you have seen they only want 10m for Johnstone as its been reported they want 18m in the majority of the media yesterday. 

Our African contingent all possibly being away on AFCON duty for a few weeks in Jan and Feb 2022 next season makes things very chaotic for us given the injury problems we've had this season and stretched squad.

We cannot afford to loan out as many young players next season. 

I think the only 1st team players that will be sold will be Choudhury but now that Mendy has been called up for Senegal we'd have no defensive midfielder for several games next season as both he and Ndidi will be away. Dewsbury-Hall is strong defensively but not a DCM by trade but could be essential. 

• Like 2

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Our African contingent all possibly being away on AFCON duty for a few weeks in Jan and Feb 2022 next season makes things very chaotic for us given the injury problems we've had this season and stretched squad.

We cannot afford to loan out as many young players next season. 

I think the only 1st team players that will be sold will be Choudhury but now that Mendy has been called up for Senegal we'd have no defensive midfielder for several games next season as both he and Ndidi will be away. Dewsbury-Hall is strong defensively but not a DCM by trade but could be essential. 

Josh Knight is another option , we must avoid spending on temporary signings. Use all your available assets first .

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Josh Knight is another option , we must avoid spending on temporary signings. Use all your available assets first .

Yeah he's another that will be interesting to see what we do with. His contract is up but I think we have an option to extend by a year which essentially means we'll do so in order to ensure he doesn't leave for a nominal fee but whether he's someone who a) we want to keep long term or b) wants to stay is another matter. He's done enough in his last 2 loan spells to carve out a good career at Championship level and at his age he will be wanting regular football I'd have thought. 

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah he's another that will be interesting to see what we do with. His contract is up but I think we have an option to extend by a year which essentially means we'll do so in order to ensure he doesn't leave for a nominal fee but whether he's someone who a) we want to keep long term or b) wants to stay is another matter. He's done enough in his last 2 loan spells to carve out a good career at Championship level and at his age he will be wanting regular football I'd have thought. 

It's a tough balancing act for a manager. Knight and KDH are solid club men and have been with us for years. They want to play at the highest standard they can I'm sure. Rodgers will have to assess whether they can make it as premiership players.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Not very exciting but Remi Oudin was a huge signing for them at the time, and is basically a left footed Marc Albrighton. Unreal work rate and chips in with a few goals and assists. I know one decent season in Ligue 1 is never enough evidence (See Ghezzal) but in 2018/19 he got 10 goals and 4 assists at Reims which is when he burst on the scene.

Could be an unfashionable squad buy that turns out to be successful, he was a Macia pick when Bordeaux signed him.

A few goals and assist is not enough! We need a winger to be hitting at least 10 goals / 10 assists ideally 

Edited by OhYesNdidi

14 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

A few goals and assist is not enough! We need a winger to be hitting at least 10 goals / 10 assists ideally 

I'm not disagreeing with you, all our attack minded players need to be bringing goals and assists. He has done it at Reims but not done well at Bordeaux, I was merely suggesting there's a player in there that once upon a time might have been the ideal player to take a punt on here.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

With someone like him, Sowah and KDH in the squad next season it gives us that left footed slide rule through ball that we only have Iheanacho to turn and play at the minute. Brings a different and handy dimension to the squad.

Agree again mate. The balance of our team is often affected by the lack of left footers so just having that but more variety will be nice.

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Probably just a lazy link to Ajer again, Norwich main team interested

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kris-ajer-watched-norwich-city-20480194

@Muzzy_Larsson Ajer had an off season like most of Celtic?

He's actually the only one out of everyone who has had a decent season.

He's been committed which is more than can be said for the majority of his team mates this season.

Wouldn't grudge him his move tthis summer in all honesty, I'd want to leave if I were him.

2 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

He's been committed which is more than can be said for the majority of his team mates this season.

Wouldn't grudge him his move tthis summer in all honesty, I'd want to leave if I were him.

Looks like whoever gets the Celtic job is going to have to oversee quite a lot of change in the squad

Edouard, Ajer, Christie 1 year left on their deals, all the loans ending, Brown leaving - gonna need some decent cash to sort that squad out

9 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Just out of interest, as you’re a Celtic fan, if we signed Edouard, what would he bring to the team also as somebody that’s not watched him play is it right he’s not that quick?

25 minutes ago, dayday said:

Just out of interest, as you’re a Celtic fan, if we signed Edouard, what would he bring to the team also as somebody that’s not watched him play is it right he’s not that quick?

From what I've seen on the web he looks as quick as Barnes. Just don't expect him to be as quick as prime Vardy. He is bigger than any of our current attackers , something we lack. He will shoot from distance if he sees the target and I like that in a striker.

Edited by An Sionnach

44 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Looks like whoever gets the Celtic job is going to have to oversee quite a lot of change in the squad

Edouard, Ajer, Christie 1 year left on their deals, all the loans ending, Brown leaving - gonna need some decent cash to sort that squad out

Yeah not half, pretty much the most transitional period I can imagine in my lifetime supporting Celtic. That's also before you mention all the loan players going back, guys like Duffy, Elyonoussi, Kenny, Laxalt, who are all guff anyway.

It needs to happen in all honesty this squad has run it's course.

I think we should be able to generate about £30m in sales this summer so that should be enough to re-build the side, the key thing as always is spending the money wisely however.

50 minutes ago, dayday said:

He is fairly quick but not lightening quick. He tends to play on the shoulder of defenders when he's not peeling out left and is generally quick enough to run in behind most defences. Premier League defenders are naturally quicker mind you so it'll be interesting to see how he does in that sense.

Although he's fairly tall I wouldn't describe him as an overtly physical striker whatsoever and added to that the weakest part of his game is probably his ability in the air. 

In terms of style he's very much like a poorer version of Henry, his first touch and close control is very good, he likes to peel out left and go past defenders and prior to this season anyway he's very composed in front of goal and is a very good finisher. He's pretty good from free kicks also.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

From what I've seen on the web he looks as quick as Barnes. Just don't expect him to be as quick as prime Vardy. He is bigger than any of our current attackers , something we lack. He will shoot from distance if he sees the target and I like that in a striker.

He's not close to being as quick as Barnes, Barnes is absolutely rapid and regularly hits top speeds of 35km/h.

I've said this before but I don't know what angle your driving at with him being big, it makes me question if you've watched him much at all. Yes he's physically tall but he's poor in the air and not aggressive at all really so his height in that respect isn't worth mentioning.

I don't mean to pedantic but free kicks aside which he was prior to this season very good at I reckon about 90%+ of his goals for Celtic have come inside the box. Again, long range shooting isn't something I'd associate with him at all.

3 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

He is fairly quick but not lightening quick. He tends to play on the shoulder of defenders when he's not peeling out left and is generally quick enough to run in behind most defences. Premier League defenders are naturally quicker mind you so it'll be interesting to see how he does in that sense.

Although he's fairly tall I wouldn't describe him as an overtly physical striker whatsoever and added to that the weakest part of his game is probably his ability in the air. 

In terms of style he's very much like a poorer version of Henry, his first touch and close control is very good, he likes to peel out left and go past defenders and prior to this season anyway he's very composed in front of goal and is a very good finisher.

Headed goals from our attackers are as rare as hen's teeth with us , not necessarily a problem but our defenders are not the best either. I was expecting Fofana to be more of a threat but he hasn't shown it yet.It makes you realise how good strikers like Shearer and Sheringham were.

6 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

He's not close to being as quick as Barnes, Barnes is absolutely rapid and regularly hits top speeds of 35km/h.

I've said this before but I don't know what angle your driving at with him being big, it makes me question if you've watched him much at all. Yes he's physically tall but he's poor in the air and not aggressive at all really so his height in that respect isn't worth mentioning.

I don't mean to pedantic but free kicks aside which he was prior to this season very good at I reckon about 90%+ of his goals for Celtic have come inside the box. Again, long range shooting isn't something I'd associate with him at all.

Obviously you know a lot more about him than me but what do you think ,. is he really worth bidding for ? You don't seem to rate him.

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

...you probably have not been reading his previous copious comments regarding Edouard!!!

You are right ,I rarely go back in a thread. At the end of the day Rodgers is a far better judge of a player than me , he is a pro .If he thinks Edouard can step up then he will go for him.