Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
majaco

Transfer targets ongoing

Message added by Mark,

4 hours ago, sheffield_fox said:

I agree that Barnes should eventually be given a chance to play as CF.

I think Abraham is a better transfer prospect though, on the basis that Barnes already plays for us.

Anyone who thinks this is quite frankly crazy.

Barnes will never be able to play that role as effective as a striker.

Keep the lad on the wing where he is showing potential to be one of the best wingers in the league.

Kasper scored a goal once and is a very good goal keeper.

I reckon we stick him up to just to give him a chance at CF you know for shits and gigs 

• Like 2

Barnes isn't good enough with his back to goal, at this point at least, to be a striker of the level we need. His biggest weakness is that his technique can let him down occasionally when under pressure, and he can get swallowed up by the press because his control and first touch can be loose.

People use Vardy as the yardstick simply because he is quick and direct. That doesn't take into account that he is generally reliable with his back to goal, can look after the ball, and his awareness of what is around him is good. He is also intelligent in knowing when to press versus sit off. Not to mention he is good in the air and can challenge against taller defenders because of his leap.

Barnes's skillset right now lends itself more to receiving the ball and being able to face up his defender. Having that goal threat from wide is worth its weight in gold.

As many have said, if Édouard is available for £15-20m, we should be all over it.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

If we are to take the next step and that means competing on multiple fronts we need to have options. Playing the amount of games the likes of Man City play requires a squad that has depth and versatility. That is what Rodgers knows he needs and although we can't buy the top established players like the aforementioned we can attract the most talented younger players available and develop them. Playing more games against varied opposition requires flexibility in terms of systems and formations and, coupled with regular games Rodgers will be well capable of keeping a much deeper squad happy and hungry.

40 minutes ago, KFS said:

Would be a great window

Would need to sell a few first , draw up a list.Had a thought that Denis Praet could move on. He is a box to box player that doesn't really suit our system and anyway KDH is very similar. He would raise a fair figure as a Belgian International.

Edited by An Sionnach

47 minutes ago, Heymister2015 said:

Finish the squad off with Bertrand (free) Trincao, Soumare and Edouard 

Bertrand wants 3 years at Southampton and they are only willing to give him 2. We aren't giving him a 3 year contract either.

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I fully suspect we will be in part paying some of their wages at their current clubs 

Yeah, I assumed their contracts would be up this summer - I highly doubt their club is paying their 60-80k p/W wages.. I couldn’t remember whether their contracts ended this summer or last though. 

Edited by OhYesNdidi

18 hours ago, Fox85 said:

Anyone who thinks this is quite frankly crazy.

Barnes will never be able to play that role as effective as a striker.

Keep the lad on the wing where he is showing potential to be one of the best wingers in the league.

Kasper scored a goal once and is a very good goal keeper.

I reckon we stick him up to just to give him a chance at CF you know for shits and gigs 

I do actually agree. I just said that as a joke cos people said we couldn't sign another striker when we already have Barnes. Which I thought was odd. 

11 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

I could see Ricky P leaving in the summer. We do seem to have a problem with playing either Ricky or Timmy on their least favoured side... obviously not a popular idea but I think it’s very plausible?

Pre-injury Ricardo was I reckon a £50 million plus player...

Right now, in this market - I'm not sure he's worth selling in terms of what he gives us in return.

That said we have cover for his position (s) so it may be a case of get what, £35 -40 million fee maybe so we can spend it elsewhere?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nick said:

Pre-injury Ricardo was I reckon a £50 million plus player...

Right now, in this market - I'm not sure he's worth selling in terms of what he gives us in return.

That said we have cover for his position (s) so it may be a case of get what, £35 -40 million fee maybe so we can spend it elsewhere?

He’s not really recovered yet but still is probably £40m like you said. I see it potentially as get the money and spend it perhaps on a leftback? Or LWB? 

it just seems unbalanced atm with the RB competition... like something will have to change? I hope I am wrong but I just don’t see us playing a right footed left back going forwards

22 hours ago, TrentFox said:

“We”. Love that 👍👍👍. #converted 

...he has occasionally dropped that comment in his post for some time!!!

I would suspect posting on the Celtic forum as well, would lend itself to using that term automatically. 

Either way good to have him on the forum, a sort of, our man up North. 

Edited by sacreblueits442
  • Like 1