Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jim5000

Should Maddison stay on corners?

Should Maddison stay on corners?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. Who should take corners?

• Maddison
    • Tielemans
    • Albrighton
    • Someone else

I would prefer Albrighton to take them but the problem is he's not a nailed on first team player and Maddison is. As an admitted Albrighton fanboy I'd happily take him as a regular first team player and put him on corners.

What I often don't get about footballers is if you're a good player with a bit of skill, like Mads why not spend hours just practicing corners. Like free kicks it's a really good and simple way of getting your stats up. You also make yourself an essential asset to the team, your value goes up and fans love you. Knowing Mads has talent but takes awful corners is infuriating. For a second I genuinely hate him when he wonders over to take a corner only for it to hit he first man (then they break and we're scrambling back to stop THEM scoring). 

I also agree that the rest of the team (especially our defender) have a bad scoring rate from corners but I wonder if there was consistently good service in then they could make more movement and runs. As a defender worrying that Mad's ball will lead to a counter-attack must make them second guess themselves a little.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoopla10 said:

I would prefer Albrighton to take them but the problem is he's not a nailed on first team player and Maddison is. As an admitted Albrighton fanboy I'd happily take him as a regular first team player and put him on corners.

What I often don't get about footballers is if you're a good player with a bit of skill, like Mads why not spend hours just practicing corners. Like free kicks it's a really good and simple way of getting your stats up. You also make yourself an essential asset to the team, your value goes up and fans love you. Knowing Mads has talent but takes awful corners is infuriating. For a second I genuinely hate him when he wonders over to take a corner only for it to hit he first man (then they break and we're scrambling back to stop THEM scoring). 

I also agree that the rest of the team (especially our defender) have a bad scoring rate from corners but I wonder if there was consistently good service in then they could make more movement and runs. As a defender worrying that Mad's ball will lead to a counter-attack must make them second guess themselves a little.  

....wasn't there some player who use to practise with a tyre hung on to the crossbar, and the aim was to get the ball through the middle of the tyre from outside the box!!!

With Maddison's' talent he should not be that poor at free kicks and corners, sounds like a sheer lack of imagination surrounding our squad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hoopla10 said:

He obviously practises a lot. He takes all of them for the past 2 or 3 seasons on the pitch and he admitted that he practised a lot (there was a clip where he talks about practising them a lot). But if they are still on average bad the assumption that he is more talented than others in taking them needs to be questioned.

Edited by JackSpade
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, JackSpade said:

He obviously practises a lot. He takes all of them for the past 2 or 3 seasons on the pitch and he admitted that he practised a lot (there was a clip where he talks about practising them a lot). But if they are still on average bad the assumption that he is more talents than others needs to be questioned. 

...hard to believe that he states that he practices dead balls as he is just about average in his implementation!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JackSpade said:

He obviously practises a lot. He takes all of them for the past 2 or 3 seasons on the pitch and he admitted that he practised a lot (there was a clip where he talks about practising them a lot). But if they are still on average bad the assumption that he is more talented than others in taking them needs to be questioned.

Then he needs to be taken off them or we need to find some radical solution for making corners an advantage for us again. If this is what he's like doing a lot of practice then this is just something he's incapable of doing. We get plenty of corners a game and we should make them a dangerous part of our game.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fightforever said:

Problem with maddison is he hits the ball with good technique but he doesn't aim his set pieces at all.

...yeah, but is it the right technique!!!

It would be more effective if he walked up to the ball and just swing his foot through. No need to put any swing on the ball, just direction and pace.

Like a golfer who is suffering from the rigours of his swing, he needs to rebuild his action.

Maddison has put in plenty of decent crosses that haven't been attacked well, Evans and Soyuncu have been embarassing in front of goal when given chances this season. 

If that fell to Soyuncu he'd have probably somehow hit the bar with a volley and Brighton scored on the counter.

I reckon this Maddison-corners Problem debate has got a bit out of hand...his last 3-4 games his deliveries were ok and had shown improvement...

Maybe some fans have now just go it in their head, and have decided to disect every Single corner & set-piece he takes, making it look worse...

Its like Ndidi hes  made several Cock-ups recently, But fans just Let it go, however when Thomas or Ghana-God Amartey, makes One slip, Posters are

all over them..und fail to see 85-90% of their normal- to Top movement,passes or positioning...!!!

• Like 1

Should mix it up definitely. Maddison delivery inconsistent at best and does get some good-ish ones in that we can't get on the end off. I think because of how rubbish we are defending them, it highlights our attacking ones even more.

Be good to have Maddison on the edge of the box every now and again for anything that comes out. 

Either we practice corners in training and Maddison is the best at them or we dont practice them and Maddison takes them because he thinks hes the best...and rodgers could give a sh1t.

I'm of the opinion that any professional player should be able to deliver a decent corner and the same goes for attacking, defending them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Domsdad said:

Is it not too simplistic to have players attacking the front post? When we are defending corners Vardy tends to be there, could that role not be replicated when attacking?

...far too simplistic.....!!!

Defending corners and our abilities to score from them seems to be a science that we are not capable of unravelling. 

It really does not require any great deal of thought more than common sense to be proficient at both ends of the pitch!!!

7 hours ago, Domsdad said:

Is it not too simplistic to have players attacking the front post? When we are defending corners Vardy tends to be there, could that role not be replicated when attacking?

It is not about the front post. It is about 10 yards shorter than the front post. Too far to make use of it even if we get there first.

Edited by Tom12345

4 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

It is about the front post. It is about 10 yards shorter than the front post. Too far to make use of it even if we get there first.

...I  have read this several times, is this a typo!!!

Attacking the near post is a good weapon, we conceded a goal to Perez against Newcastle through being too slow to cover.

Just getting the first touch at the near post on our corners virtually renders their goalkeeper totally surplus to requirement. Their keeper will take up a position in the middle or slightly  further back towards the far post. Any contact resulting in the ball being helped on to the near post means he will not be able to react quick enough to cover.

Vardy is effective at the near post in defence, but he should not be there, he is a weapon we need to use with more thought.