Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jim5000

Should Maddison stay on corners?

Should Maddison stay on corners?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. Who should take corners?

• Maddison
    • Tielemans
    • Albrighton
    • Someone else

I've always advocated this idea, build a 15ft wall at either end of the pitch. 

The construction material may not be available yet as it has to be virtually invisible and flexible enough to withstand and rebound a players impact with no resulting injury.

Solution, no corners. 

If this works, throw in's will also be a thing of the past as the full pitch will be encircled in this incredible new material. 

Home team players would enter the pitch / game zone via a mechanical up and down centre circle to the sounds of the latest inspirational music and the Post Horn Gallop. 

Away team and officials would enter via a tunnel and trapdoor located behind the goalposts in front of the Jamie Vardy stand.  

Albrighton gets more height and less whip on the ball and I think that suits us better.  Soyuncu and Fofana in particular would benefit from have a slightly longer look at the ball.  It allows a greater opportunity to adjust position and think about getting to the ball.  Of course, the defending team also benefit from the same conditions but we seem to really struggle with a ball whipped in at pace, and there's the added frustration of it not clearing the first man.  

All that to one side, what would be an acceptable conversion rate? 1 goal in 40 corners? 30 corners? 1 in 50 would be good I think.  Taking that into consideration, it's entirely possible to go 150 corners without scoring and then get 3 in quick succession.  I put a lot of our low return down to natural statistical variance.

26 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

I think we need to get Huth back in to coach Free-kicks and Corners.   No opposition could plan for what might transpire.

only with sex masochism, then it is allowed but not in other situations "

41 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Albrighton gets more height and less whip on the ball and I think that suits us better.  Soyuncu and Fofana in particular would benefit from have a slightly longer look at the ball.  It allows a greater opportunity to adjust position and think about getting to the ball.  Of course, the defending team also benefit from the same conditions but we seem to really struggle with a ball whipped in at pace, and there's the added frustration of it not clearing the first man.  

All that to one side, what would be an acceptable conversion rate? 1 goal in 40 corners? 30 corners? 1 in 50 would be good I think.  Taking that into consideration, it's entirely possible to go 150 corners without scoring and then get 3 in quick succession.  I put a lot of our low return down to natural statistical variance.

I remember reading that in the PL, it’s something like 1 good chance in 20 corners 

• Thanks 1

i love this forum, Albrighton sticks a corner too close to the keeper and the keeper messes up, suddenly he's the answer.

If we've learnt anything from Maddison's spell on the sidelines it's that he's only part of the problem. We've got 3 or 4 guys that win a lot of defensive headers, game in, game out. For some reason, as soon as they're attacking the ball they're dreadful. 

Maddison's not a great corner taker but the problem is much deeper than that. 

• Like 1

Maddison is only half the problem, he's hit that same area as albrighton did for the goal plenty of times but there was no one there to attack it. Evans and soyuncu are just as bad as maddison at corners yet get dont get the same stick, evans is bad at heading the ball, he missed a ridiculous number of chances last season and soyuncu rarely finds himself in a position to get on the end of the ball.

Edited by honeybradger
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Just needs the time on the training ground to actually work out routines. It’s been a while since we’ve been afforded that luxury. There was a spell last season where we had a glut of goals from corners. 

....don't remember that...I  am sure we went approximately 240 corners before scoring from our previous barren spell!!!

21 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

i love this forum, Albrighton sticks a corner too close to the keeper and the keeper messes up, suddenly he's the answer.

If we've learnt anything from Maddison's spell on the sidelines it's that he's only part of the problem. We've got 3 or 4 guys that win a lot of defensive headers, game in, game out. For some reason, as soon as they're attacking the ball they're dreadful. 

Maddison's not a great corner taker but the problem is much deeper than that. 

...the mere fact that it cleared the first man, caused their goalkeeper to do something!!!

Had the ball failed to beat the near post, as usual the opportunity would not have arisen. 

You do not need to spend a great deal of time organising positions to take up on a corner,  that should already have been agreed in the dressing room. As one poster pointed out, we tend to group centrally in the box and that makes no sense. 

The Centre Halfs do need coaching on heading  the ball and Fofana should be exceptional but has a tendency to go up too soon and meets the ball coming down, it is all down to timing with him.

What I  can't understand is why these players do not take it on themselves to improve their individual games and are reliant on their coach to tell them everything. 

This is not about just this season and intervals between games, Vardy back in the day, spent the off season working on his game, Chilwell also sought outside help in the off-season and came back much improved, a bit of self awareness is what is missing. 

Maddisons overall play has improved alot this season but I've said since the start of last season his half arsed walks to corners are a hinderance and takes out any momentum we have from getting the corner in the first place, also helps the opposition as they have all the time in the world to prepare.

• Like 1

It's not just the delivery, though. 

Yes, generally the balls in have been of an embarrassing standard at times, but when there is something to get onto we're equally as bad. Maddison et al aren't the only problem.

Before the weekend I can't remember the last time one of our centre backs connected with the ball directly. Nobody looks threatening. Soyuncu and Evans especially must be wearing particularly heavy boots.

Edited by RoboFox

5 hours ago, goose2010 said:

I've watched a lot of football in the last 12 months and to be honest most teams are poor from corners. Not many goals come direct from them at all. We aren't great with them but most teams are just as bad. 

I think it's that we're so bad at defending them, that it makes every other team look dangerous from corners.

None of the above. 

Take Maddison off them because his corners aren't much good and it's aggravating his hip. 

Don't put Youri on them because his corners aren't much better than Maddison's, plus we don't need him jogging extra distances back and forth and risking straining his hip. 

Albrighton to take them if he's on the pitch (almost never) 

Under if he's on the pitch (ditto) 

Who's left? lol:dunno:

One to resolve on the training ground, surely - especially now that we have more time to prepare for each game.

That said, now that we have finally scored from a corner, maybe the floodgates will open. Football works like that sometimes...

Am i the only one who doesn't see that big a problem with his delivery? 

Sure, he can often hit the first man, but a lot of his deliveries are whipped into a very dangerous area at real pace. 

We seem to have a bigger issue, in terms of someone getting on the end of them! Something that I don't think is being worked on enough by Rodgers. 

The movement and organisation in the box, is as important as the delivery. The big men need to be doing better as well IMO 

10 hours ago, los dedos said:

I thought this, he almost takes them like free kicks and really twist his hips .

On a side note I was looking at the stats from the late 90s and our central denfenders where get into double figures between them. I'd imagine a good few where from corners .:(

Guppy could put a great corner in. Though we had Elliott, Walsh, Taggart around to get on the end of them.

• Like 1