Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Muzzy Who?

6 hours ago, MPH said:

Many years ago, after he had retired ( just) I used to work in the pediatric intensive care unit at the Royal. It was made known to Muzzy that there was a teenage girl who had just been diagnosed with an incurable brain tumor who was one of his biggest fans. Muzzy came to visit her and  they quickly became good friends. He visit on so many occasions and He would stay for hours and just sit with her and be there. They would text back and forth many times a day. He truly took her to heart and was at her funeral.

Muzzy wasn’t just a top class fella on the pitch, he was just as classy off of it too. He didn’t have to do any of that.

Thanks for telling us about that. Must be a great bloke. One of my all time favourite City players. Legend. 

I remember him really well from my days at asda lol would only ever buy garlic chicken and one time I even went to his house to drop it off lol, funny story I used to think he lived next door to us as a kid turned out it wasn't him and I told him a story about how when I was a kid someone who looked like him got me my first lcfc shirt with izzet on the back and was signed by the fake izzetlol I had  kept it for years and years and after that he told me to bring that top the following week and he will sign it for really. Bless him and that dude and his Mrs who got me my 1st lcfc top :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, MPH said:

Many years ago, after he had retired ( just) I used to work in the pediatric intensive care unit at the Royal. It was made known to Muzzy that there was a teenage girl who had just been diagnosed with an incurable brain tumor who was one of his biggest fans. Muzzy came to visit her and  they quickly became good friends. He visit on so many occasions and He would stay for hours and just sit with her and be there. They would text back and forth many times a day. He truly took her to heart and was at her funeral.

Muzzy wasn’t just a top class fella on the pitch, he was just as classy off of it too. He didn’t have to do any of that.

What a man - Clearly a legend off the pitch as well. 

Him and Lennon were an absolute joy to watch in the late 90's. Savage ran round a lot but to me he wasn't in their league as a player 

Without him we wouldn't have been close to promotion in 2002 / 2003 - In fact we were a mid table team without him. 

Edited by Crazy Kop Corner
  • Like 1

On 30/03/2021 at 19:34, Freeman's Wharfer said:

They say never meet your heroes but that doesn’t apply to Muzzy Izzet, as shown by some of the contributions to this thread. When I was fortunate enough to be drawn out as a mascot through the Junior Foxes for a game against Derby at Filbert Street he stood out as particularly good with us on the day.

Even in this golden era, Izzet would still walk into our side. It was interesting to read some of the tribute and reaction to Worthington’s death by those of a certain age on here. Anyone who got hooked on LCFC during the O’Neill years will likely talk about Izzet in such terms whenever that day comes for him!

I say this everytime there's a thread about him but I had a chat with Steve Bruce about Muzzy 15 years or so ago, and he said that he was one of the most talented players he'd ever worked/played with. And bearing in mind who that includes, says a lot about the talent of the guy. Another era and he'd have been a 50 cap England player instead of just the handful of Turkish caps.

Out of sheer intl weekend boredom, I YouTubed a couple of old games last weekend and half watched the Sunderland away league Cup semi. 

The standard of football was remarkably low to what we get fed now. But two performances stood out. Steve Walsh was immense and Muzz was the only player who you could parachute into football 20 years later now and he'd still hack it. 

His touch, finesse and fitness were immense. Imagine Maddison with an engine. That's Muzz. 21st century footballer. Incredible in the air too. What timing and a leap.he had.

Edited to add my favourite goal was Villa away to put us 3-1 upn with 10 to go. Part Vardy meggsing the centre half and part Iheanacho with the delayed feint, sitting the keeper on his arse before slotting home 

Edited by Paninistickers
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Out of sheer intl weekend boredom, I YouTubed a couple of old games last weekend and half watched the Sunderland away league Cup semi. 

The standard of football was remarkably low to what we get fed now. But two performances stood out. Steve Walsh was immense and Muzz was the only player who you could parachute into football 20 years later now and he'd still hack it. 

His touch, finesse and fitness were immense. Imagine Maddison with an engine. That's Muzz. 21st century footballer. Incredible in the air too. What timing and a leap.he had.

Edited to add my favourite goal was Villa away to put us 3-1 upn with 10 to go. Part Vardy meggsing the centre half and part Iheanacho with the delayed feint, sitting the keeper on his arse before slotting home 

Weirdly I don’t think I realised just how good he was until the season we went went down and then straight back up.

He was on a different level to the rest of the Championship. Just completely controlled games. Not seen performances like that until Tielemans arrived. 

Sensational player for us, hard to compare his talents to the level of player we have now but he'd hold his own and he delivered in a number of big games at the highest level. 

Such an approachable ex pro too, very much like Walsh, Elliott and Taggart. Love that they all still live in the area and had the odd beer with them over the years. I went to the Sky Studios several years ago when Paul Merson hosted some programme where an ex player went on and picked his best XI they ever played with. Izzet was on and I went a long to watch it filmed and then we had a good swig afterwards in the boozer round the corner. Merson had 8 pints of Peroni in about an hour and a half, was mesmerising to see.

On 30/03/2021 at 17:19, Gamble92 said:

No doubt the football is technically much superior, but the playing out from the back tika taka leads to many dreadful matches too. So many big games now lack what they did back then.

True to an extend. But it's still better than "lump it to the big man" and hope for the best.

On 30/03/2021 at 18:28, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Do think out of all the players we had in them glory days the players who would fit in well in a team like ours in the modern game would be izzet, guppy and Parker. 

Izzet would definitely be the star, but I don’t think you could overlook what Heskey would have done with Vardy as a foil...

We’d *probably* cope without Elliott now, but he was Huth-like at his best, and a real threat from any set piece.

1 hour ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Weirdly I don’t think I realised just how good he was until the season we went went down and then straight back up.

He was on a different level to the rest of the Championship. Just completely controlled games. Not seen performances like that until Tielemans arrived. 

He and Merson absolutely ran the league that year. Top half Premier League players in the second tier.

• Like 1