Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, Farrington fox said:

Tbh I’m getting a bit fed up and irritated by Brendan. The continuing failure at defending set pieces is down to coaching. Sort it out. 

Yet another game where we only start to play when we fall behind, to much playing around at the back by Evens and Co instead of getting the ball forward. We are so predicable it’s every time we have the ball.

Rodgers needs to change his tactics and find another way to play the game, some of his starting line ups can only be described as confusing.

1 hour ago, Always Next Year said:

Yet another game where we only start to play when we fall behind, to much playing around at the back by Evens and Co instead of getting the ball forward. We are so predicable it’s every time we have the ball.

Rodgers needs to change his tactics and find another way to play the game, some of his starting line ups can only be described as confusing.

The playing around at the back only works if there's an incisiveness in the midfield to deliver to. That wasn't there today. We lacked any punch out wide to get the ball to and Soumare couldn't do it all himself. 

I look at our players, the bench and think, wow, we are decent, but that first half says different, and I can't think of whether it's my blue specs thinking we're better than we are, or whether it's out manager, setting us up wrong, not motivating the players enough, maybe they're tired, unfit, I don't know.

Then I wonder what we'd be like with Moyes in charge, howe perhaps or even Gravel voice himself Dyche, you can't argue the bloke knows how to manage. 

Losing fofana and JJ was a blow but I don't know if I'm expecting too much, I think we're a lot better than we've showed this season with what we have and I can't figure out why

23 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I look at our players, the bench and think, wow, we are decent, but that first half says different, and I can't think of whether it's my blue specs thinking we're better than we are, or whether it's out manager, setting us up wrong, not motivating the players enough, maybe they're tired, unfit, I don't know.

Then I wonder what we'd be like with Moyes in charge, howe perhaps or even Gravel voice himself Dyche, you can't argue the bloke knows how to manage. 

Losing fofana and JJ was a blow but I don't know if I'm expecting too much, I think we're a lot better than we've showed this season with what we have and I can't figure out why

No, we aren’t expecting too much.

That’s such a cop out isn’t it

This team should be better than that display today there can be no doubt about it. 
We’ll concede with this defence but we should have scored too.

Our final ball was shocking really. No composure 

30 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

No, we aren’t expecting too much.

That’s such a cop out isn’t it

This team should be better than that display today there can be no doubt about it. 
We’ll concede with this defence but we should have scored too.

Our final ball was shocking really. No composure 

But these type of posts are why we keep being told we're entitled!

(As for Dyche, ooohph, imagine the football snobbery)

Edited by Matt

4 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

As he also did in the corresponding fixture last season. 

There's not much to outsmart really. We're so transparent in how we start a game, how we play usually for at least half of a game or up to 65 ish minutes before we change tack. The opposition only really have a problem every week for about 20 minutes if they're lucky.

I think that perhaps with the exception of Spurs and Manchester United, the managers of all the teams currently above us would be getting more of a tune out of the players we currently have available to us. That isn't meant as a Rodgers out statement, I just think that as managers tactically, they're better equipped. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

Can’t blame him today for me, shouldn’t change a winning side really and we have slowly been getting better so if he did and we played how we did everyone would be saying I can’t believe he changed it. 

Got to look at the players for me, no balls about them. No fight or passion. Maddison strolling over to take a corner when we’re 2-0 down is an example. Another is this pathetic slow passing around at the back. I understand that’s how the manager might want us to set up and play, but surely they should just think **** this we need something different let’s up the tempo or run with the ball etc… 

• Like 2

I know we're all mini managers and it's easy to criticise after the result but surely Brendan should have written these things in in his book as it happens far to often.

1.) Luke isn't yet ready to play as a wing back, so if we're short and need to play him against better sides,  we're going to have to play with a back 4.

2.) If a team is sitting back, we're better playing with players who are better on the ball rather than players who play on the shoulder.

3.) In training, instruct players, if Harvey has the ball push forward into the box to push defenders on and give Harvey space to either shoot or drill a ball into the box, do not stand on outside of box and watch.

4.) There are times when it's good to play more direct.

5.) Must find a way to motivate players to be quicker off the mark from the first 45.

6.) Is zonal marking working?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Blue-fox said:

Can’t blame him today for me, shouldn’t change a winning side really and we have slowly been getting better so if he did and we played how we did everyone would be saying I can’t believe he changed it. 

Got to look at the players for me, no balls about them. No fight or passion. Maddison strolling over to take a corner when we’re 2-0 down is an example. Another is this pathetic slow passing around at the back. I understand that’s how the manager might want us to set up and play, but surely they should just think **** this we need something different let’s up the tempo or run with the ball etc… 

He’s come out after the game and said the players didn’t follow instructions in the first 20 minutes, well I’m sorry, you’re the manager get on that touch line and demand change and motivate the players.

Just now, dayday said:

He’s come out after the game and said the players didn’t follow instructions in the first 20 minutes, well I’m sorry, you’re the manager get on that touch line and demand change and motivate the players.

He says that all the time and yet we always play the same way. When he gets lucky and someone scores a worldie, he then takes all the credit for the same style of football working lol

• Like 1

Just now, dayday said:

Where did he say that? All I heard him say was that we were too slow with no pressing etc which is what they talked about not doing before they went out for kick off 

1 minute ago, dayday said:

Yeah if it was a one off then fair enough but it’s the same sluggish start virtually every game and something he often remarks on. If it’s the same so often, it’s clearly his fault and he’s failing to do rectify it.

Though maybe it’s not a surprise the players are probably confused when our best first half of 2021 against West Brom saw us 3-0 up and he didn’t like it. Have we started well since the ?

• Thanks 1

Brendan needs to go back to the drawing board with his approach to defending and attacking corners. It’s that simple. Static zonal marking using our best defenders, leaving less capable defenders to block and mark their best corner attackers is not working. So frustrating that we are still as bad at this fundamental aspect of defending, (if not worse) since BR took over. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blue-fox said:

Where did he say that? All I heard him say was that we were too slow with no pressing etc which is what they talked about not doing before they went out for kick off 

Half time between the tigers and saints, the interview was on then 

4 minutes ago, Blue-fox said:

Whilst you're first statement can be a good maxim, I also think you have to take into account the opposition ie would you employ the same tactics and formation against Man City as you would against Norwich just because you'd won your previous game? It soon became very clear we were never going to outpass Arsenal, we lacked pace and movement and needed to put them under some pressure. At least Rodgers tried to change things for the second half and it was more convincing but ... how many times did he have to do that after Christmas last year?

I'm pleased to hear that it wasn't just me and the people around me losing their swede over bloody Maddison! Every time we were having a successful bit of pressure and Arsenal got into a panic in the second half we had a succession of about 5 corners. Each bloody time Maddison minced over with a cigar on as if we were 3 up with 10 minutes to go! It gave Arsenal time to regroup and gather their composure thereby halting the impetus we had. His one non-urgent turn to acknowledge the crowd tended to suggest it was more all about him and the cool image he wanted to project. Well James, from where I was sitting it didn't work, we all thought you were a bit of a twat! Wake up!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Blue-fox said:

16 minutes ago, dayday said:

For me todays on the players, I can't even really complain about sideways football because generally we didn't do it today, we were too sloppy, it was slow, there was no fight, desire,

These a professional football playing at the top of the game so their skill level should be high but no matter what your skill level, applying yourselves, showing fight, desire, being bothered are the minimum requirements. There was next to none when we set out today, you knew what we were getting from the first whistle.

However, the bit in bold i've spoke about quite abit but it's so glaringly obvious and has to keep being said they did this against West Brom last season and got bollocked for it being quite audiably berated, Rodgers having a mardy face on him and kicking bottles down the touchline showing his displeasure (Bearing in mind "He doesn't like showing frustration on the touchline" because something along the lines of  that as he didn't like it when he played when he was younger) that's where it flips back onto the manager. The thing I can't get my head around was we were playing brilliantly albeit against West Brom, no disrespect - yet we've had many stinkers since and that seems fine. Just bizarre.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

The only thing i blame him for today is set pieces defending and attacking it's not good enough a part from maddison's free kick we never threaten it's embarrasing how long it's been a major weakness of ours teams would be a lot less willing to sit in if they know we've got a goal from a set piece in us.

15 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I know we're all mini managers and it's easy to criticise after the result but surely Brendan should have written these things in in his book as it happens far to often.

1.) Luke isn't yet ready to play as a wing back, so if we're short and need to play him against better sides,  we're going to have to play with a back 4.

2.) If a team is sitting back, we're better playing with players who are better on the ball rather than players who play on the shoulder.

3.) In training, instruct players, if Harvey has the ball push forward into the box to push defenders on and give Harvey space to either shoot or drill a ball into the box, do not stand on outside of box and watch.

4.) There are times when it's good to play more direct.

5.) Must find a way to motivate players to be quicker off the mark from the first 45.

6.) Is zonal marking working?

The jobs yours. Though there's quite a lot of common sense in one go there and it might take time to drill it home.

I'm confused. Are performances or results most important? Statistically we played better today than last week when we won but were "awful and outplayed" by Brentford in a lucky win.

I thought people could accept having a go if we lost?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LestaFox92 said:

The only thing i blame him for today is set pieces defending and attacking it's not good enough a part from maddison's free kick we never threaten it's embarrasing how long it's been a major weakness of ours teams would be a lot less willing to sit in if they know we've got a goal from a set piece in us.

Bloody hell pal take a breath.