Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Robin Gosens (unconfirmed)

10 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

If we sign Gosens it’s 100% a back 3 with wing backs.

Have Atalanta ever played with a back 4 and him play at LB? The reason I ask is because I can see us thinking he can play LB very much like Castagne can play RB even though Atalanta have made their mark in recent years as a staunch 3-4-1-2 system

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Have Atalanta ever played with a back 4 and him play at LB? The reason I ask is because I can see us thinking he can play LB very much like Castagne can play RB even though Atalanta have made their mark in recent years as a staunch 3-4-1-2 system

Literally about once in the time he has been there, always a back 3.

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Gasparini plays 343/3412. They look very similar in style to us when we play a back 3, except they play a bit more aggressive (higher risk) style of football than us. 

edit: looking at Transfermarkt data, Gosens did play LB back in 2016, but he was a relative nobody at that stage of his career, and that came before he earned his move to Atalanta, who’ve played him at LM since. 

Edited by FoxesWalk

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

He virtual plays LM for Atalanta, his played over 70 games at LB in his career but only 4 at Atalanta. 

I just hope if we buy him that we know what we're doing. Buying him and a left footed right winger and going back to 4-2-3-1 won't be the best use of his talents but maybe the club think and can get him to play there.

I know this points to use going 3-4-1-2 long term but I still think we'll recruit someone like Faivre or Makuede who play as a right winger or ACM.

• Like 2

On the subject of Ricardo; I think he likely needs the break and finally then a proper, really planned out pre-season. The club will tailor this for him to have him fighting fit and best possible chance I suppose.

Then its just a question mark on whether body (and mind) have truly healed and he can be 100% committed to every action on the pitch.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I just hope if we buy him that we know what we're doing. Buying him and a left footed right winger and going back to 4-2-3-1 won't be the best use of his talents but maybe the club think and can get him to play there.

I know this points to use going 3-4-1-2 long term but I still think we'll recruit someone like Faivre or Makuede who play as a right winger or ACM.

3-4-1-2 as preferred I guess but being able to play with Barnes and Ricardo as wingers in a 4-1-4-1 or 4-4-2, so we can play Castagne and Goose week in week out at either wing backs or if necessary full backs?

20 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

I don't suspect the 4 at the back idea is gone. I think BR wants them to be comfortable in both systems, so that we can adjust to cope with different team systems from the opposition, suspensions, injuries, or just to be able to change up the shape when something isn't working. Having players who are comfortable in both systems is ideal. 

Absolutely, this system is used when we're missing Ndidi or Barnes due to us having no other player on a level of either in that area. Now Iheanacho's transformation may well pose Rodgers with the decision to keep this system longer term and it solves the problem of keeping Soyuncu, Evans and Castagne happy. Justin can slot in there too when back fit and Gosen the obvious main choice for LWB. 

We will sign another attacking midfielder that is equally as adept as an inverted right winger, we need one regardless of the 2 differing systems. I don't think we'll go for a winger in the mould of Ünder though, it will be a skillfull and quick midfielder who is a blend of defensive brilliance and a good amount of creativity.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I said further up, we only buy him if we are going to fully commit to 3 at the back. He isn’t a left back in the normal sense although that doesn’t mean he can’t defend.

8 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I said further up, we only buy him if we are going to fully commit to 3 at the back. He isn’t a left back in the normal sense although that doesn’t mean he can’t defend.

I respectfully disagree with this.

BR is a coach and will believe he can push him to adapt to either system; just like many of our other players have grown and adapted.

Some players may not have it in them, but since sort of thing is likely all part of our scouting process.

11 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Wouldn't you have said the same about Castagne? Pre Atlanta I believe Gosens was a left back wasnt he? Swear I've seen him play there for Germany too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

If there's one club in the world that seems to know what they are doing, it's Leicester City!

Regarding the system we use, there's so much merit to going 3-4-1-2. What inside right wingers that are available on the market at the moment that we know are good? Faivre, Trincao, Madeuke *might* be good, but I would be my house on Robin Goosens being guaranteed good from game 1. He is the best left wing back in Europe IMO and seemingly available for transfer. Sometimes it's better to be smart about these things, especially in a Covid market. Percy name dropped Soumare (Tielemans backup), Edouard (more attacking depth) and Gosens as potential transfers and you put those three into this squad and it just looks so, so good. 

At right wing we've tried Demarai Gray, Rachid Ghezzal, Ayoze Perez over the years. That's around 50m trying to replicate Mahrez when maybe we have to accept that was a ridiculous transfer that is unlikely to ever happen again. A player that would be on par with the stats Mahrez produces would be Jadon Sancho who will cost 100m and is not possible for a club like Leicester to sign. We are the sort of club that could pull a rabbit from the hat, but Gosens is such a sensible signing to me and I really hope we pull it off. 

I don't disagree but we'll still try and buy a left footed RW/ACM and therefore we'll likely deploy 4-2-3-1 again if needs be. Barnes is a completely different player in that system as opposed to the back 3. Although he did half decent in the 1st few months of the season, his real consistency of goals and assists came once Ndidi was back in December and we went back to 4-2-3-1.

Gosens would be a mega signing and at the price we'd get him for is a no brainer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Either we get two players who can can compliment Barnes and Maddison in that attacking three behind the striker or none at all.

Being linked to Gosens and Edouard makes that less likely, if Tarkowski gets seriously mentioned soon then it looks 3-4-1-2 is here to stay.

I think 3atb is Rodgers preferred formation, he’s tried playing it at every club but has never made it work perfectly. I chatted to a Celtic mate about it and he said rodgers persisted with it in some games when it clearly wasn’t working. We have the players for it, but every team that plays it seems to revert to a back 4 again eventually and that just makes me sceptical of it as a long term solution.  

44 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Wouldn't you have said the same about Castagne? Pre Atlanta I believe Gosens was a left back wasnt he? Swear I've seen him play there for Germany too.

Yeah I would say the same about Castagne and presume Germany do play him as a full back but look at his output as a wing back.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

I respectfully disagree with this.

BR is a coach and will believe he can push him to adapt to either system; just like many of our other players have grown and adapted.

Some players may not have it in them, but since sort of thing is likely all part of our scouting process.

I’m not saying he can’t adapt, as above look at his output from LWB. 

I think our record with the back 3 we have now plus this link shows that primary BR wants a back 3.

12 minutes ago, Dusty said:

I think 3atb is Rodgers preferred formation, he’s tried playing it at every club but has never made it work perfectly. I chatted to a Celtic mate about it and he said rodgers persisted with it in some games when it clearly wasn’t working. We have the players for it, but every team that plays it seems to revert to a back 4 again eventually and that just makes me sceptical of it as a long term solution.  

Rodgers at the first opportunity ditches it though when he has Barnes and Ndidi available. I don't mind it anyway if we have the right players and Gosens would be incredible. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Rodgers at the first opportunity ditches it though when he has Barnes and Ndidi available. I don't mind it anyway if we have the right players and Gosens would be incredible. 

But has he ever had a point with all 3 centre backs fit, ndidi and Barnes? I think  that’s the key thing, that we have 3 incredible centre backs and it’s hard to drop them.

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Still got the problem of the only width being provided is from defenders, although Gosens has a good goalscoring record compared to the more standard full backs we're asking to play wing back. I don't think we're even better defensively look against Palace they could have easily had the game finished if it wasn't for Evans last ditch tackle. We saw alot of those through balls at West Ham too that opened us up with ease. Attack is the best form of defence and that is much worse with a back five.

7 minutes ago, Dusty said:

But has he ever had a point with all 3 centre backs fit, ndidi and Barnes? I think  that’s the key thing, that we have 3 incredible centre backs and it’s hard to drop them.

Yes, there was several weeks when Soyuncu was on the bench before Fofana then got injured.

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes, there was several weeks when Soyuncu was on the bench before Fofana then got injured.

Personally think soy was out of form when he first came back and rodgers could have been easing him, but I see your point.