Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Robin Gosens (unconfirmed)

30 minutes ago, Mark said:

Still got the problem of the only width being provided is from defenders, although Gosens has a good goalscoring record compared to the more standard full backs we're asking to play wing back. I don't think we're even better defensively look against Palace they could have easily had the game finished if it wasn't for Evans last ditch tackle. We saw alot of those through balls at West Ham too that opened us up with ease. Attack is the best form of defence and that is much worse with a back five.

I'm torn on it, at times we play some very good football in a back 3 and defend well and other times we look no stronger defensively (possibly even worse) and we lack the extra creative player that 4-2-3-1 brings.

I also am yet to see Barnes or Maddison produce their best football in this system and let's be honest it was those 2 since back end of 2020 that were providing us with all of our goals with a Tielemans the one constant creative player. Barnes and Maddispn have got injured and thankfully Iheanacho has stepped in and been a machine but overall we have to weigh up are we at risk of missing the attacking talents of Maddison and Barnes just to have Vardy and Iheanacho.

Hopefully Maddison can at least start to revel in this role behind those 2 but he was playing like a support striker before his injury and scoring and assisting a lot of goals. Recently he is dropping so deep in this system and it takes away what he is most dangerous at for us.

• Like 1

As the @The People's Hero and @StriderHiryu have said.

We are developing a squad that has serious flexibility, with various players who can adapt to different systems.

We have seen many times this season, that we have ability to adjust to 3-4-1-2 or 4-2-3-1, depending on the players that we have fit.

Of course Gosens is more predominantly a wing-back; however he did play in a back four recently against Udinese and Fiorentina. 

The 3-4-1-2 formation has proved to be a working formula recently. Fofana, Evans and Soyuncu together, with Iheanacho up top in a two, is a formula that shouldn’t be broken. If an injury occurs to one of them, then reverting to 4-2-3-1 would be more ideal.

Adding players like Gosens will give us even more flexibility, if we can get in a CB and a RW who are versatile too, then the quadruple will be ours.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm torn on it, at times we play some very good football in a back 3 and defend well and other times we look no stronger defensively (possibly even worse) and we lack the extra creative player that 4-2-3-1 brings.

I also am yet to see Barnes or Maddison produce their best football in this system and let's be honest it was those 2 since back end of 2020 that were providing us with all of our goals with a Tielemans the one constant creative player. Barnes and Maddispn have got injured and thankfully Iheanacho has stepped in and been a machine but overall we have to weigh up are we at risk of missing the attacking talents of Maddison and Barnes just to have Vardy and Iheanacho.

Hopefully Maddison can at least start to revel in this role behind those 2 but he was playing like a support striker before his injury and scoring and assisting a lot of goals. Recently he is dropping so deep in this system and it takes away what he is most dangerous at for us.

...is he dropping deep because he has been instructed, or, in his desperation to see more of the ball!!

12 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...is he dropping deep because he has been instructed, or, in his desperation to see more of the ball!!

Probably a bit of both! This was what he started doing from Jan onwards in 2020 when we hit thst poor run and he became a hindrance rather than an asset. He is at his best being pushed right up close to the striker/s.

Gosens is a no brainer. To play under gasp, you need to be tactically clever and adaptable. He is better as a left wing back, but has played left back for Germany. Atalanta also don't have an ndidi player so can be allowed to attack more from lb.

Wouldnt be surprised if we got him that we shifted formations between 3-4-3 with barnes and nacho inverted just behind vards, 3-4-1-2 with madders/perez in at 10 and also 4-2-3-1. Him, soumare and edouard and a low cost option like thauvin would be a sensational window. 

• Like 3

Any lineup assumptions - by the club or by the fans - based on Vardy being a dialed-in regular at 35 next season are pretty foolhardy, if you ask me.  You have to be prepared to work around him not being up to that.  Does Gosens help you do that?  Well, he's a damn fine player and in a sense, you can't have too many of those.  But tying us even more tightly into 5 at the back scares me.  If Vardy isn't part of the equation that formation looks even worse than it does now, and it doesn't look that great now.  Can Gosens play in a 4-5-1 somewhere?  Sure, but he'd be out of position - just as Ricardo and Castagne are when we ask them to be wingbacks.

Edited by Deeg67

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Absolutely, this system is used when we're missing Ndidi or Barnes due to us having no other player on a level of either in that area. Now Iheanacho's transformation may well pose Rodgers with the decision to keep this system longer term and it solves the problem of keeping Soyuncu, Evans and Castagne happy. Justin can slot in there too when back fit and Gosen the obvious main choice for LWB. 

We will sign another attacking midfielder that is equally as adept as an inverted right winger, we need one regardless of the 2 differing systems. I don't think we'll go for a winger in the mould of Ünder though, it will be a skillfull and quick midfielder who is a blend of defensive brilliance and a good amount of creativity.

I think you just described a 99 rated player on FIFA lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

When did we play ourselves?

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

You just sit there and think about what you have done

Image result for the naughty step

I was post breaking down 7274761 boxes that a baby travel system came in, you’re both lucky it was eligible at all let alone following football fan constructs lollol 

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

Genuinely think we will win the league again soon. We’re building a quality squad, and with some of these potential links we could end up with a proper serious team....

building a great team but I don’t think we are on Man cities lvl yet. Sure we could give them a good game but  they have such amazing consistency because they have immense skill on the bench- just as good as their starting 11.

Or the Liverpool of last year..

that’s the sort of lvl we need to be reaching.

JJ’s emergence papered over the glaring hole in the squad that I thought we’d have unfortunately. I remember a post I made when Castagne signed about him coming back in on his right foot from left which might help with our inside forward play. The fact that our current inside forwards (Maddison and Perez) are off form, Luke Thomas’ inexperience and Barnes being out mean that we are very one dimensional down the left. A natural left footer who can attack and has a proven goal contribution record is an absolute no brained. Hope it comes off.

On 30/04/2021 at 12:41, North Leeds Fox said:

Gosens is a no brainer. To play under gasp, you need to be tactically clever and adaptable. He is better as a left wing back, but has played left back for Germany. Atalanta also don't have an ndidi player so can be allowed to attack more from lb.

Atalanta have De Roon and Freueler who sit quite deep, I would actually say that with Tielemans and Wilf together we would have slightly less cover, despite how good Wilf is.