Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Iran

Odsonne Édouard

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Agree with you on both fronts. Perez has been a disappointing signing, but mainly because he cost 30m. Had he cost 15m there probably wouldn't be as many knives out for him. Edouard looks a good player and with other French U21 players in the squad should settle quickly. But even if he doesn't, 15m in today's marker is not a big risk. He will be cheaper than Perez, Slimani, Iheanacho and Musa with potentially more sell on value than all other than Nacho.

And as you infer, Edoaurd and Soumare for a combined 35m is outstanding business. We've pulled it off because both players have been identified for months and probably deals done ages ago. Most likely after we opted not to sign anyone in January it was because we wanted these targets and knew we could get them cheaper by waiting. This club is extremely well run, as is proven time and time again. Incredible to believe it's the same club that stuffed up the Adrien Silva deal so badly!

If you add Betrand to those two, that's already 3 key areas of the squad reinforced without spending a fortune... which means there might be the cash to bring in one or two attacking wingers, and / or another CB.

So far I like our transfer policy this summer. It's about bulking out the squad to cope with lots of games and injuries, which have hampered us over the last two seasons.

Even at £15m (think we only paid £16m up front with add ons potentially up to £30m) it's been dog shit business. 2 goals and 1 assist last season? I'd be still unimpressed if he was a free transfer, that's abysmal. He's scored 1 goal in 2 seasons that's had a direct impact on a result.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Even at £15m (think we only paid £16m up front with add ons potentially up to £30m) it's been dog shit business. 2 goals and 1 assist last season? I'd be still unimpressed if he was a free transfer, that's abysmal. He's scored 1 goal in 2 seasons that's had a direct impact on a result.

First season would have been decent stats: 8 goals, 4 assists.

This season was awful though, James Justin had 2 goals 1 assist, despite playing mainly LWB / LCB and missing half the season through injury. Jonny Evans got 2 goals, 2 assists!

Perez does offer qualities other than attacking ones, but in that regard he's no Shinji Okazaki.

Anyway you don't need to persuade me, he's been massively unimpressive. It's funny because in his first pre-season for us he looked electric and that he was going to be a serious addition to the team, but it's just never happened for him. He's not even gone on one of his famous purple patches that he used to do at Newcastle. Not yet anyway, and I don't really see it happening.

But some of this could have been said about Iheanacho too. Nacho had good moments in the past, but after that penalty miss and dog turd performance away to Palace he looked finished. He ended up as a late contender for our player of the season, which is some turnaround! I actually think we might see toward the end of the upcoming season that our first team is Edouard and Nacho with Vardy coming off the bench.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...as I said before, just take a look at who they were!!!

Sorry I don't understand. You're either upset we've signed shit wingers, or you are upset we've not signed wingers (and wrong). You can't be both. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...strange, but he is the only one from that list which made you think for one second someone said we need a player on the right wing, let us get someone in!!!

We cannot be so poor at recruitment for this position that we are so inept in bringing in a genuine player.

Take a look at @Ricflair and his post over the last four seasons, all he is asking for a Right Winger, like everybody else.

I’ve no need to look back every fan and pundit alike knows we need a winger so I’m pretty sure the  club do .,I find it unbelievable that  you think the club are stupid enough not to know it . It’s more a case of they have tried  and failed . If the club have tried then it’s obvious they know it’s a position that’s needs addressing .  Its not like buying  a loaf of bread where you go to a shop pick a  loaf off the shelf and pay for it there is  loads more factors to it .  

Edited by baldeagle

A bit out of context for this thread, but a serious question. Which teams in England signed a top class winger in the last two seasons?

The ones that maybe we could have signed are:

- Raphinha (6G, 9A)

- Allan Saint-Maximine (3G, 4A)

- Pedro Neto (5G 6A)

- Jack Harrison (8G, 8A)

- Matheus Pereira (11G 6A)

- Dwight McNeil (2G 5A)

There are definitely some good ones there, but point is it's hard to find a good one. I can see why we went for Under over any of the above names for example, even if it didn't work out.

Anyway back to the thread, welcome Edouard!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

A bit out of context for this thread, but a serious question. Which teams in England signed a top class winger in the last two seasons?

- Raphinha (6G, 9A)

- Pedro Neto (5G 6A)

- Jack Harrison (8G, 8A)

- Dwight McNeil (2G 5A)

There are definitely some good ones there, but point is it's hard to find a good one. I can see why we went for Under over any of the above names for example, even if it didn't work out.

Good post! I remember people spaffing over Pepe saying he was just what we needed. Arsenal paid £72million if my memory serves me right and he's been shit in the PL.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Good post! I remember people spaffing over Pepe saying he was just what we needed. Arsenal paid £72million if my memory serves me right and he's been shit in the PL.

To be fair he scored a goal every 160 minutes in the PL, but he only came good for the last month or so of the season.

Next season I think he'll improve, but as you say, he cost them 72 million and still didn't hit the ground running, nor did Ziyech (he has been crap) who was about 45m ish I think

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

- Raphinha (6G, 9A)

- Pedro Neto (5G 6A)

- Jack Harrison (8G, 8A)

- Dwight McNeil (2G 5A)

You are right it's not easy finding ones who score and assist in double figures but that shouldn't stop us trying. It should be our biggest priority, and our lack of options out wide is what potentially cost us down the stretch once again this season. Look at the stats of our wingers last season except Barnes, Albrighton 1 goal in the league, Perez 2 goals, Ünder no goals.

It makes for horrible reading and assists weren't great either, Albrighton was better than recent seasons but Perez whom has stopped playing out wide and not even sure we should count him as a winger? That's why I think we need to sign 2 this summer. One as back up to Barnes and then our biggest focus should be the ideal right winger that we are missing. I simply won't accept that we can't find the right one, we seem to be able to find defenders who do what we need and classy midfielders but wingers or strikers and we have a nosebleed these days to the point we seem to be reluctant.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

To be fair he scored a goal every 160 minutes in the PL, but he only came good for the last month or so of the season.

Next season I think he'll improve, but as you say, he cost them 72 million and still didn't hit the ground running, nor did Ziyech (he has been crap) who was about 45m ish I think

Basically Arsenals season in a nutshell... Based on results over the last 24 games of the PL season, Arsenal had the second highest number of points (after Man City).. so just totally dogs**t in the first 14.

I do remember Pepe having Thomas all ends up when we last played them though.. seems like maybe he just needed bedding in?

Hopefully won’t take Edouard as long to start firing.. won’t have the pressure of such a huge transfer fee at least 🙌

5 minutes ago, Celtic_daft1888 said:

Some good videos from the standing section at Celtic park on YouTube of how good it can be. The song is nearly as good as the player himself. 

I’ve seen a few, and it’s awesome. I tip my hat to anyone who can fit a bit of the stone roses into the terrace. Unreal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

- Raphinha (6G, 9A)

- Pedro Neto (5G 6A)

- Jack Harrison (8G, 8A)

- Dwight McNeil (2G 5A)

Right wing is even more challenging, since the rise of the inside forward. Most right footed wingers like to cut in now, meaning they play on the left. And since most people are right footed, there just aren't as many right sided wingers of the quality required.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Celtic_daft1888 said:

Fair assessment of him last season. Not bitter in any way whatsoever. We needed him last year and he let us down with some poor performances. We are all pissed off with a lot of things going on at our club at the moment. Eddys performances and attitude have been a part of that. 

In saying that, it doesn’t change the fact that he’s a phenomenal player who can go to the very top. One of the most naturally gifted players I’ve seen at Celtic in the last 15 years. When he’s focused and he’s got his head down? He’s a genius. 

May I ask, in your opinion how does he compare to Larsson (surely your best player over the last 30 years), Hartson and Dembele?

Dembele especially did very well at Lyon after leaving you, though hasn't done the business at Atletico Madrid.

7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

There are probably only two world class ones in the Premier League at the moment, Riyad Mahrez and Mo Salah. So we even had one of those players and didn't want to let them go, but in the end didn't really have a choice!

Ferran Torres will probably get there in time, Leroy Sane was of that standard when he was around, Eden Hazard too, even if he was more of a 10 than a 7. Who else is there at the time of writing? Jadon Sancho will probably join the club, but can't think of too many others.

Of all the players we were linked with, Trincao was the one that I thought might do it, if only because he's a bit of an unknown quantity. The only way we get a player immediately as good as Mahrez in that position again is by finding another superstar from another league. But I think people take for granted just how lucky we are at this club. We have legitimately made maybe 5 of the best transfers in English transfer history; Schmeichel, Vardy, Mahrez, Kante, Evans. That lost cost us less than 10m combined, won us the Premier League and FA Cup, got us to the Champions League Quarter finals, two 5th place finishes and then netted us over 80m profit. Compared to that lot, signings like Soyuncu, Ndidi and Fofana are only "average" which quite frankly is absurd as it sounds. Maybe the only signings I can think of that were better than some of ours are Cantona, Peter Schmeichel, Henry, Vieira. I'm sure there are more, but ours are truly outlandish.

So yeah perhaps one day we will unearth another incredible attacking talent, but to get them for 500K from Ligue 2 is probably a once in a lifetime event. This transfer window is more like what I think we can expect to see from now on, sensible transfers that will improve the club. Edouard for <20m is a great deal and gives us a great option when we already have two excellent strikers. Soumare lets Youri have a rest more often, but also allows us to play Ndidi, Soumare and Tielemans in games where we need to win the centre midfield war. Bertrand is not a sexy signing, but is a solid pro who is consistent and experienced and essentially replaces Fuchs as someone that is good enough to play whilst Thomas develops and Justin recovers.

For the winger position it's more likely we sign someone with potential who Rodgers turns into a superstar. I never thought Barnes would be anything other than the home-grown Albrighton, but he was legitimately our best player at the turn of the year before injury.

Let's just buy Mahrez back. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

There are probably only two world class ones in the Premier League at the moment, Riyad Mahrez and Mo Salah. So we even had one of those players and didn't want to let them go, but in the end didn't really have a choice!

Ferran Torres will probably get there in time, Leroy Sane was of that standard when he was around, Eden Hazard too, even if he was more of a 10 than a 7. Who else is there at the time of writing? Jadon Sancho will probably join the club, but can't think of too many others.

Of all the players we were linked with, Trincao was the one that I thought might do it, if only because he's a bit of an unknown quantity. The only way we get a player immediately as good as Mahrez in that position again is by finding another superstar from another league. But I think people take for granted just how lucky we are at this club. We have legitimately made maybe 5 of the best transfers in English transfer history; Schmeichel, Vardy, Mahrez, Kante, Evans. That lost cost us less than 10m combined, won us the Premier League and FA Cup, got us to the Champions League Quarter finals, two 5th place finishes and then netted us over 80m profit. Compared to that lot, signings like Soyuncu, Ndidi and Fofana are only "average" which quite frankly is absurd as it sounds. Maybe the only signings I can think of that were better than some of ours are Cantona, Peter Schmeichel, Henry, Vieira. I'm sure there are more, but ours are truly outlandish.

So yeah perhaps one day we will unearth another incredible attacking talent, but to get them for 500K from Ligue 2 is probably a once in a lifetime event. This transfer window is more like what I think we can expect to see from now on, sensible transfers that will improve the club. Edouard for <20m is a great deal and gives us a great option when we already have two excellent strikers. Soumare lets Youri have a rest more often, but also allows us to play Ndidi, Soumare and Tielemans in games where we need to win the centre midfield war. Bertrand is not a sexy signing, but is a solid pro who is consistent and experienced and essentially replaces Fuchs as someone that is good enough to play whilst Thomas develops and Justin recovers.

For the winger position it's more likely we sign someone with potential who Rodgers turns into a superstar. I never thought Barnes would be anything other than the home-grown Albrighton, but he was legitimately our best player at the turn of the year before injury.

Great post 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

May I ask, in your opinion how does he compare to Larsson (surely your best player over the last 30 years), Hartson and Dembele?

Dembele especially did very well at Lyon after leaving you, though hasn't done the business at Atletico Madrid.

I think he’s the most naturally gifted striker we have had since Larsson. Dembele was unbelievable at times but Eddy does things in a game where you’re just in awe. I’ve not really had that since watching Larsson/Moravcik. Nakamura probably done it on occasions too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2