Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Rodgers knows the player, the player knows Rodgers. If the prices being bandied about for the two are even close to being accurate, Edouard seems the better bet. Should Rodgers go for him, it's based on his experience of the player and what BR thinks he can do in the Premier League. Toney, at possibly twice the price, is a much bigger risk as the manager doesn't know him at all. He's also untried at the highest level, whilst Edouard has faced defenders in the Champions League. That experience has to be beneficial.

Given the above, if Rodgers does go for Toney, it'll be because ha has a lot of faith it will come off. If there's a £15-£20m difference in the fees, I'd take Edouard.

Rodgers is a bit better manager than me though, so whoever he goes for, I'll trust in his experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's the most obvious transfer of the last few years, just hope it works out. I still can't make my mind up on him. 

As long as we don't expect hattricks every week I am sure he will be fine. He will be part of a quartet of goal threat with Vardy, Barnes and Iheanacho and if he gets 10 to 15 next season it will be an important contribution.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, this is almost certainly going to happen given how much noise there has been about it. If it works out for us then £20m will feel like a bargain, and if he doesn't then it's not like it'd be an expensive flop - we'd still recoup most of that money.

 

If Kelechi hadn't stepped up as much as he has done then I'd be advocating for us to go for someone more distinguished to lead the line with/instead of Vardy, but Kelechi's new-found form means we're not quite as desperate for that big name at this point in time, and Edouard could well fit as an option (and may surprise us and become that star player anyway). Feels like a no-brainer, particularly if the feeling at the club is that Vardy has another year or two left in him...

 

Alternatives are all going to be either too expensive, too risky or both. Given that we will likely want to spend to strengthen other areas as well, if a relatively low-cost striker is available and ticks the boxes then it makes sense to go for it and put the big money elsewhere.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Avoid Scottish based players. Such a step up in England, and with the pressure of a big fee…:ph34r:

Yeah guys like John McGinn, Kieran Tierney and Virgil Van Dijk have really struggled to make that step up in recent years.

 

In fact I can't think of the last person that came from the SPFL to the EPL who didn't do relatively well.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think has has more potential than Toney. The French system love him. And I think in all honesty the recent events at Celtic plus long Covid have probably had an impact on his performances. I watched him in the game V Rangers and without offending Celtic fans, he looked like he would have rather been anywhere else but there. 
 

He has all of the technical attributes to success, and he could be an absolute steal at 20m. 
 

It is a gamble, but as we have seen in the past so would Toney, I trust if we sign him, he would be the right players for the job. And under Rodgers I think he would flourish. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd much prefer Edouard even at the same price as he has a much better pedigree. Two years younger and a star in the French U21 team, when Toney was the same age he was playing League One football for Peterborough. 

 

I've never seen either play but Edouard seems class who has stagnated a bit at Celtic and is primed to kick on whereas Toney has done brilliant the last couple of seasons but at a lower level but he is now 25yo. Edouard for half the price is a no brainer for me.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

As long as we don't expect hattricks every week I am sure he will be fine. He will be part of a quartet of goal threat with Vardy, Barnes and Iheanacho and if he gets 10 to 15 next season it will be an important contribution.

That's a good point actually, for the price he doesn't have to be Vardy levels of brilliance over the last 6 years but just a reliable player who when he plays can bring us his fair share of goals. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Yeah guys like John McGinn, Kieran Tierney and Virgil Van Dijk have really struggled to make that step up in recent years.

 

In fact I can't think of the last person that came from the SPFL to the EPL who didn't do relatively well.

A representative sample of 3…

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

A representative sample of 3…

Yeah the most recent ones. In case you never noticed there aren't too many good players in Scotland so it's not like there are four or five players making that move every summer.

 

Like I said those above are the most recent cases and they have all done well.

 

Going back near 10 years or whatever and using examples such as Gary Hooper or whatever isn't going to be very insightful or add much value is it. Even then going back that far I'd wager there were more successes than failures.

 

If you can provide me some examples in the last five years of players who have moved from the SPFL to the EPL and have bombed I'm happy to stand corrected.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Yeah the most recent ones. In case you never noticed there aren't too many good players in Scotland so it's not like there are four or five players making that move every summer.

 

Like I said those above are the most recent cases and they have all done well.

 

Going back near 10 years or whatever and using examples such as Gary Hooper or whatever isn't going to be very insightful or add much value is it. Even then going back that far I'd wager there were more successes than failures.

 

If you can provide me some examples in the last five years of players who have moved from the SPFL to the EPL and have bombed I'm happy to stand corrected.

 

Stop biting. 

 

Some troll is going to say that in every single thread about SPL players. Precisely because you'll react like that. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

A representative sample of 3…

Excluding youth players and backup goalkeepers (who played 0 minutes), there have only been FOUR direct Scotland > PL permanent transfers since the 2015/16 season:

  • 19/20: Kieran Tierney (LB, Celtic > Arsenal, £24m)
  • 18/19: Stuart Armstrong (CM, Celtic > Southampton, £7m)
  • 15/16: Virgil Van Dijk (CB, Celtic > Southampton, £14m)
  • 15/16: Adam Matthews (RB, Celtic > Sunderland, £2.5m)

A couple others moved into the championship before stepping up very well (John Mcginn) and others had loan spells in Scotland before succeeding in the PL (James Maddison).

 

Its a pretty good hit-rate if you ask me. Especially from Celtic. If a player moves to the PL from Scotland it seems to be on their own merit, rather than any misguided notions about the quality of their league(s).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Xen said:

Excluding youth players and backup goalkeepers (who played 0 minutes), there have only been FOUR direct Scotland > PL permanent transfers since the 2015/16 season:

  • 19/20: Kieran Tierney (LB, Celtic > Arsenal, £24m)
  • 18/19: Stuart Armstrong (CM, Celtic > Southampton, £7m)
  • 15/16: Virgil Van Dijk (CB, Celtic > Southampton, £14m)
  • 15/16: Adam Matthews (RB, Celtic > Sunderland, £2.5m)

A couple others moved into the championship before stepping up very well (John Mcginn) and others had loan spells in Scotland before succeeding in the PL (James Maddison).

 

Its a pretty good hit-rate if you ask me. Especially from Celtic. If a player moves to the PL from Scotland it seems to be on their own merit, rather than any misguided notions about the quality of their league(s).

Didn't Robertson join Hull from Scotland? Sure he was at Motherwell

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, snoopy87 said:

Didn't Robertson join Hull from Scotland? Sure he was at Motherwell

14/15. I got lazy going through transfermarkt so stopped just before then - but yes, another positive Scotland>PL transfer!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

That's a good point actually, for the price he doesn't have to be Vardy levels of brilliance over the last 6 years but just a reliable player who when he plays can bring us his fair share of goals. 

To be fair we don't need Vardy's level of brilliance, because with it become over reliance.

 

We need a 3 forwards scoring, 40-50 goals between them, so if A doesn't get you, B does, if B doesn't C does.

 

Another big difference this year to last is the emergences of Barnes and Nacho in the PL goal scoring charts, last season if Vardy didn't score who did.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is all interesting, and good that it’s data driven. But I’m afraid logic won’t cut it with me on this one. And why leave out backup keepers or youth players btw?

 

For every Virgil Van Dyke or Tierney (jury still out on that one btw) there’s a Barry Robson or Alan Maybury, Mark De Vries, Joe Hammill etc…

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

This is all interesting, and good that it’s data driven. But I’m afraid logic won’t cut it with me on this one. And why leave out backup keepers or youth players btw?

 

For every Virgil Van Dyke or Tierney (jury still out on that one btw) there’s a Barry Robson or Alan Maybury, Mark De Vries, Joe Hammill etc…

 

lol lol:fishing:

 

 

 

The man even used the :ph34r: emoji in his first post chaps, come on. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...