Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Man Utd 1-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Out of interest can you tell me the times we've thrown away points under Rodgers this season when he's done this? The truth is we haven't, even though it's stressful to watch.

I don't think we ever have thrown the game away, most of the times we've been unbelievably comfortable and all it's done is made us more likely to concede than go and kill the game off. As I keep saying, it's personal preference. None of what I say is fact, it's how I like to see the game played. By all means change it if we're under the cosh and looking ropey. Don't make these mad changes when you're looking likely to get another goal though. It's a negative attitude and the negative attitude is why we struggle to create many meaningful chances in games.

If you're happy to scrape wins in games where we're clearly the better team and think that's the best we can do, then you're gonna be satisfied. You'll never get me backing negative changes in a game when the team is on top.

7 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I don't think we ever have thrown the game away, most of the times we've been unbelievably comfortable and all it's done is made us more likely to concede than go and kill the game off. As I keep saying, it's personal preference. None of what I say is fact, it's how I like to see the game played. By all means change it if we're under the cosh and looking ropey. Don't make these mad changes when you're looking likely to get another goal though. It's a negative attitude and the negative attitude is why we struggle to create many meaningful chances in games.

If you're happy to scrape wins in games where we're clearly the better team and think that's the best we can do, then you're gonna be satisfied. You'll never get me backing negative changes in a game when the team is on top.

I'm not saying I like it, but given we haven't ever thrown points away when he's done it this season then it's pointless criticising it too much. There were very little alternative option with a replacement for Vardy other than Praet or Mendy, much of a muchness.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm not saying I like it, but given we haven't ever thrown points away when he's done it this season then it's pointless criticising it too much. There were very little alternative option with a replacement for Vardy other than Praet or Mendy, much of a muchness.

I need a decent analogy here...

It's like being in marathon and being an hour ahead of the pack as you reach the finish line, then you pull out a pillow and decide to take a nap. You'll probably still win the race if the nap doesn't last longer than an hour, but you're taking a comfortable situation and making it more tense than it needs to be.

Like I say, if we're under pressure and being bombarded then good stuff, make a change to redress the balance. I'm not giving the man credit for taking a winning scenario that looks like it's going to be a comfortable win by 2 or 3 goals and turning that into us defending crosses for 10-15 minutes lol

First half was painful, no urgency and seemingly no desire to get at them. Second half we were much better. We started to control the midfield and Matic was no longer breaking out from deep. And they were not finding the channels so easily. It took about 20 minutes until we really stated to turn the screw, I was starting to get worried as they got Cavani, Fernandez and co to warm up. 

But we kept United at arms length pretty much all second half, we started to threaten a lot more after 20 mins and we’re getting in behind quite a lot, Kelch will be disappointed he didn’t score his effort but I think we scored at the right time, just as they made their subs we struck and it meant they had to come out at us.

But once we scored we managed the game well, bar a few defensive lapses allowing balls into the box too easily. 

Hopefully this gives us the belief and confidence to have a go at Chelsea. We’re so much better when we get after teams.

Possibly the biggest win since we beat Saville in the CL league. I think that’s done it for me, United beat Liverpool and it’s curtains people. We can bask in the glory knowing we will be in the CL under the lights on Wednesday nights. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Scrape a win?

United had 4 shots all game. I really do think you let the nerves on the occasion cloud what you were seeing.

We bossed the 2nd half and even after the change, other than Bruno's welled sliced shot, United never looked like scoring. 

It's all about game management and tightening things up in those situations, something that I feel we did incredibly well. 

We did not scrape the win. We went to Old Trafford with a lot riding in the game, we got ourselves into a position we wanted to be in and then saw the game out expertly well. 

lol we bossed it after Hamza came on?! I'm done, i'm done haha.

I think people can't seem to see past names and reputation rather than the reality of the situation.

Just now, filbertway said:

lol we bossed it after Hamza came on?! I'm done, i'm done haha.

I think people can't seem to see past names and reputation rather than the reality of the situation.

And I think your average Leicester fan is the eternal pessimist.

Tell me, after Hamza came on, what did United create? Other than looking like a league 2 side going for it and throwing balls into the box, at what point did United break down our defence?

Just because you don't have the ball, doesn't mean you are not controlling the game. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

It's like being in marathon and being an hour ahead of the pack as you reach the finish line, then you pull out a pillow and decide to take a nap. You'll probably still win the race if the nap doesn't last longer than an hour, but you're taking a comfortable situation and making it more tense than it needs to be.

Like I say, if we're under pressure and being bombarded then good stuff, make a change to redress the balance. I'm not giving the man credit for taking a winning scenario that looks like it's going to be a comfortable win by 2 or 3 goals and turning that into us defending crosses for 10-15 minutes lol

But you're presuming that when an hour clear of everyone else and you keep on pushing that you don't either need a shit through over exertion and theres no bog roll and by the time you've used your hand and then found somewhere suitable to wash it that you've inexplicably been caught or you do your hamstring and waddle on waiting to be picked off.

I reiterate my closing musing, who else was there on the bench to bring on for Vardy who was fcuked thst could have maintained our attacking impetus? 

• Like 1

We did good.

Confidence boosting win and apart from the one time we let them dance though us they rarely looked like scoring. 

Good to get some confidence back after Friday. 

I do wish we had put it to bed early but that’s just not how we roll is it.

On to Saturday :scarf:

• Like 1

Now my nerves have settled I'm feeling a little less stressed about things. We did OK actually and contained them the second half. Nerves were obvious the first half and the equaliser clearly rocked the players. Second half they settled and as someone said not having the ball all the time doesn't mean you are not controlling things. The result was massive in terms of confidence throughout the whole team and fanbase 😄 

They can do this!!!!

Edited by Hales
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wardyfox86 said:

Thank you for questioning my support. I've seen, in the very recent past, this team dispatch "big 6" teams with swashbuckling football and earn great praise from pundits and fans.

Last night wasn't one of those performances, if it makes me less of a fan because I can see beyond a result and fear these performances might not get us over the line, then I guess I'm best just finding the result in the morning papers. On the flip side, I'm not on here calling for half the squad to be sold off after losing to Newcastle. 

Like I said, the result is all that matters. Will we get 2 or 3 more like that with similar performances? Unlikely, but I'd take it and be over the moon.

I've not questioned your support as much as examined the nature of your support.

Your comments were joyless, and, if anything came out of last night, it was the sheer joy of what this Leicester team can do. To state that the result is all that matters is a 'Statto' interpretation of football. The old adage of it not being about the destination but about the journey comes to mind.

It was the narrative of a team on the back foot (yet again) stepping out into what is usually the most forbidding arena in English football, against a team which can flood the pitch with any number of A1 players and then coming up with the goods. And it was pissing it down.

We witnessed Luke Thomas producing a goal of the very highest quality and Caglar Soyuncu sealing the victory with a textbook header. It's marvellous to witness the transition of a young player from a relatively unknown reserve to a virtual first-teamer.

The first half was tentative - expectedly so - but the second half seemed to me to typify the possibilities inherent in this team.

I think a lot of 'perfectionists' forget that you're only as good as your opponents enable you to be. That struggle for dominance makes a football match enthralling, fascinating and exhiliarating and, on the obverse side, downright frustrating and disappointing.

I sometimes watch that match that Leeds played against Southampton in March '73, when Leeds were seven up and they start showboating. Johnny Giles did a 'rabona' for good measure! It's a glorious sequence of a team in total control of a match - but it's no longer a 'match' because the Saints were completely dominated.

So, for me yesterday evening was a terrific experience - a gamut of all the emotions and a fine exhibition of a contest.

I'm not sure what it was for you. We're just different kinds of fan.

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

But you're presuming that when an hour clear of everyone else and you keep on pushing that you don't either need a shit through over exertion and theres no bog roll and by the time you've used your hand and then found somewhere suitable to wash it that you've inexplicably been caught or you do your hamstring and waddle on waiting to be picked off.

I reiterate my closing musing, who else was there on the bench to bring on for Vardy who was fcuked thst could have maintained our attacking impetus? 

lol I knew you wouldn't let me down with the comeback

Bring on Praet and push Maddison up alongside Kel?

11 minutes ago, filbertway said:

But then if the change wasn’t made and United got a second against the run of play, people would have been screaming why didn’t we shut up shop 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Tell me, after Hamza came on, what did United create? Other than looking like a league 2 side going for it and throwing balls into the box, at what point did United break down our defence?

Just because you don't have the ball, doesn't mean you are not controlling the game. 

I think they tripled the number of shots they had after we changed it. I barely recall Schmeichel touching the ball in the second half before the change.

Honestly, as long as you can hand on heart say that if Fernandes didn't spoon his shot wide and it went in, that you'd still be happy with the decision then that's fair enough. For me it's not the kind of attitude I like. We were controlling the game and looking dangerous before the subs. We barely touched the ball in their half for 15 mins after the change.

8 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

But then if the change wasn’t made and United got a second against the run of play, people would have been screaming why didn’t we shut up shop 

Nope, I can 100% guarantee that one. As I keep saying, I have the football principles I have because I believe over the long term they get the most positive results. Post match I care about the performance rather than the result. Basing ones opinions on results is very short sighted and why a lot of fans come across as fickle. It's a low scoring game and unexpected things can happen.

Sorry - just realised I misread this and thought you said I would have been screaming why didn't we shut up shop :D. I need a coffee haha

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Gerard said:

Actually Liverpool would be irrelevant if Chelsea draw tomorrow and lose to us as they couldn't catch us.

Was sort of ignoring tonight's game thinking Chelsea would definitely get the job done, but actually could be huge if they slip up and Liverpool fail to win...would mean AT WORST winning either of our last games would see the job done. 3 cup finals to end the season.

18 minutes ago, filbertway said:

lol I knew you wouldn't let me down with the comeback

Bring on Praet and push Maddison up alongside Kel?

That would have been my preference but Praet seems to be on the naughty step, has he picked him since that West Ham away game? Seems like he's taken the fall for that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

That would have been my preference but Praet seems to be on the naughty step, has he picked him since that West Ham away game? Seems like he's taken the fall for that.

The Praet situation is all a bit odd? Some say he is out the door and that is why he isn't played yet he has played Mendy and now Hamza! Maybe he isn't up to full fitness either? Its very strange nothing is mentioned.....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eskay said:

Wonder if Liverpool and west ham are feeling the sort of pressure that we were before the game? 

Really hope United win on Thursday. I'm convinced there's still a twist to come though! 

Loads of twists I am sure! West Ham looked really out of sorts in their last match and I am sure Liverpool will be feeling the pressure as well. Also worth remembering that Chelsea's run in isn't exactly straight forward - an Arsenal team with a point to prove, a match against us (and we have already beaten them convincingly this season) and a final match at Villa Park in front of the Villa fans. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Like Nacho being blamed for that first half against Bournemouth where we battered them first half until Rodgers changes it because Bournemouth had 1 or 2 attacks in the first half lol

I dno what's going on. Rodgers will win my heart back if he puts Will Alves on the bench for the last 3 games and gives the world a glimpse of the next 5+ ballon d'or winner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

The literally had a chance where Hamza failed to track his man. 

I've just had a retrospective look at the match thread, and I am stunned to learn that I was watching the wrong game last night.

Either that or I know nothing about football.