filbertway Posted 12 November 2021 Posted 12 November 2021 I swear to god if I hear "he occupies defenders" as an argument again. Like its some unique thing that only happens with Vards. Literally every striker in the world occupies defenders, its the defenders jobs to be concentrating on the strikers and trying to stop them from scoring. Quick note for any of our lads reading this post that want to jot that down, Soy and Vesty im looking at you. 1 1
Lambert09 Posted 12 November 2021 Posted 12 November 2021 2 hours ago, Stadt said: It's a difficult situation but I think there's a case to for us being a better team when Daka is on the pitch. Vardy is our greatest ever player but if we're more dangerous with Daka in the side we have play to him. Vardy's had a great start in terms of goals but he's vey uninvolved, generally. Daka has more of an influence when we're in possession. I know Man united were awful, but Daka and Vardy combined really well in the time he was on. I know its been tried before and failed, but If you think back to the Nugent days, you can get the best out of Vardy in a 2.
Guest Chocolate Teapot Posted 12 November 2021 Posted 12 November 2021 2 hours ago, filbertway said: I swear to god if I hear "he occupies defenders" as an argument again. Like its some unique thing that only happens with Vards. Literally every striker in the world occupies defenders, its the defenders jobs to be concentrating on the strikers and trying to stop them from scoring. Quick note for any of our lads reading this post that want to jot that down, Soy and Vesty im looking at you. What are you going to do about if it gets mentioned again? Write a stern letter?
Ric Flair Posted 12 November 2021 Posted 12 November 2021 2 hours ago, filbertway said: Mate I know I'm in the 0.000000001% Youve got to let it go though, we all want an 80 year old Vardy still starting for us, being fed through balls by his grand kids, but its happening mate, the end is near. Vardy still presses well, has unbelievable movement and scores and assists at a good rate. Until that stops, he's our main man and rightly so. It's not as if the style of football we play falls down because of Vardy's limitations, him dropping deep wouldn't particularly help, we need to be quicker in our transition in to attack where he comes alive. 2
HighPeakFox Posted 12 November 2021 Posted 12 November 2021 2 hours ago, filbertway said: Mate I know I'm in the 0.000000001% Youve got to let it go though, we all want an 80 year old Vardy still starting for us, being fed through balls by his grand kids, but its happening mate, the end is near. Like playing with 10 men, though? You do it on purpose mate.
Ric Flair Posted 12 November 2021 Posted 12 November 2021 5 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said: Like playing with 10 men, though? You do it on purpose mate. Won us 6 points alone this season and dread to think how many in previous seasons under Rodgers. 1
Buce Posted 12 November 2021 Posted 12 November 2021 4 hours ago, filbertway said: I think it's close to the stage now where Vards is in the Yakubu/Berbatov stage of the career. Where it's basically like playing with 10 men, but on the odd occasion that they're involved, there's a decent chance something will happen. Gone are the days when he was a genuine nuisance all game and played a massive part anytime the ball entered the oppositions hald, I always expect to see the "fewest touches" stat come up every time we're on tv at the minute and Vards starts. I think at some point the baton will be handed over and Vards becomes the impact sub that comes on for the last 20-30 minutes, which will probably suit him and us better. It probably won't happen until Rodgers hands are forced though injury as is usually the case. The man's talent and footballing brain are undeniably top quality, but the legs clearly aren't what they used to be. He seems to be the type that'd like to be on the pitch every minute possible though and I don't see Rodgers as being strong enough as a manager to deny him that. As recently as the Utd game he was chasing down defenders in added time; led to a goal iirc. 2
The_77 Posted 12 November 2021 Posted 12 November 2021 4 hours ago, filbertway said: I think it's close to the stage now where Vards is in the Yakubu/Berbatov stage of the career. Where it's basically like playing with 10 men, but on the odd occasion that they're involved, there's a decent chance something will happen. Gone are the days when he was a genuine nuisance all game and played a massive part anytime the ball entered the oppositions hald, I always expect to see the "fewest touches" stat come up every time we're on tv at the minute and Vards starts. I think at some point the baton will be handed over and Vards becomes the impact sub that comes on for the last 20-30 minutes, which will probably suit him and us better. It probably won't happen until Rodgers hands are forced though injury as is usually the case. The man's talent and footballing brain are undeniably top quality, but the legs clearly aren't what they used to be. He seems to be the type that'd like to be on the pitch every minute possible though and I don't see Rodgers as being strong enough as a manager to deny him that. He’s a ghost out there with his 7 league goals this season. 3 hours ago, filbertway said: I swear to god if I hear "he occupies defenders" as an argument again. Like its some unique thing that only happens with Vards. Literally every striker in the world occupies defenders, its the defenders jobs to be concentrating on the strikers and trying to stop them from scoring. Quick note for any of our lads reading this post that want to jot that down, Soy and Vesty im looking at you. That is complete BS. Every striker could be doing that but every one of us knows there are different levels that aspect of the game. I generally see defenders being closed down faster in games that feature Vardy vs. games that don’t feature Vardy. As a recent example: aside from a few decent attempts on goal and a couple of nifty plays, Zlatan couldn’t get close to any defenders and put them under pressure during the latest Milan derby. Some of us have become pretty jaded getting to watch Vardy for so many years.
jerry Posted 12 November 2021 Posted 12 November 2021 4 hours ago, Stadt said: It's a difficult situation but I think there's a case to for us being a better team when Daka is on the pitch. Vardy is our greatest ever player but if we're more dangerous with Daka in the side we have play to him. Vardy's had a great start in terms of goals but he's vey uninvolved, generally. Daka has more of an influence when we're in possession. Anonymous against Spartak at home. Feel his game will not suit against a side that presses but then we as a side we haven't found a solution to that either.
filbertway Posted 12 November 2021 Posted 12 November 2021 1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said: Like playing with 10 men, though? You do it on purpose mate. Haha if someone isn't touching the ball I dont know what role they're playing, especially in a team that's dominating the ball. Antonio and Tony have had twice as many touches as him as seem to spend most time counter attacking. Im convinced we would get more from Vards playing the last 30 of games than the first 60. The team would benefit from having a player who will play a part in building up attacks. Its hard to have these discussions because people aren't rational when talking about Vardy, people's opinions and comments are emotionally driven. If you dare suggest hes anything but a world class undroppable striker then you're classesld as a mentalist Do I push a little further the other way because of this, no comment your honour 1
ARM1968 Posted 12 November 2021 Posted 12 November 2021 9 minutes ago, jerry said: Anonymous against Spartak at home. Feel his game will not suit against a side that presses but then we as a side we haven't found a solution to that either. Hmm. I’m sure we got pressed a fair bit when we won the league. Seem to recall a certain Lord Vardy quite adept at managing that. Let them come on, ping a few over the top. Easy 🤣 1
filbertway Posted 12 November 2021 Posted 12 November 2021 18 minutes ago, The_77 said: He’s a ghost out there with his 7 league goals this season. That is complete BS. Every striker could be doing that but every one of us knows there are different levels that aspect of the game. I generally see defenders being closed down faster in games that feature Vardy vs. games that don’t feature Vardy. As a recent example: aside from a few decent attempts on goal and a couple of nifty plays, Zlatan couldn’t get close to any defenders and put them under pressure during the latest Milan derby. Some of us have become pretty jaded getting to watch Vardy for so many years. Do you still see that? I remember the glory days when Vards could run all day and the other teams defence genuinely treated the ball like a hot potato when Vardy was nearby. I feel like people still see him this way rather than the striker that Rodgers has moulded him into. He now bides his time and generally only gets a shift on when we're desperate or when he's confident he will win the duel
Popular Post Soar Fox Posted 12 November 2021 Popular Post Posted 12 November 2021 1 hour ago, filbertway said: Haha if someone isn't touching the ball I dont know what role they're playing, especially in a team that's dominating the ball. Antonio and Tony have had twice as many touches as him as seem to spend most time counter attacking. Im convinced we would get more from Vards playing the last 30 of games than the first 60. The team would benefit from having a player who will play a part in building up attacks. Its hard to have these discussions because people aren't rational when talking about Vardy, people's opinions and comments are emotionally driven. If you dare suggest hes anything but a world class undroppable striker then you're classesld as a mentalist Do I push a little further the other way because of this, no comment your honour Antonio who’s on 6 league goals and Toney who’s on 2 league goals. But yeah Vardy on 7 goals is like playing with 10 men. 7
HighPeakFox Posted 12 November 2021 Posted 12 November 2021 4 hours ago, filbertway said: Do I push a little further the other way because of this, no comment your honour You're good value but it would be fair to say that you like being contrary.
Mint23 Posted 13 November 2021 Posted 13 November 2021 “Like playing with 10 men” is a ridiculous comment BUT we really should be looking to limit Vardy’s minutes. He’s played pretty much 90 minutes every game since he’s been here but for the last few seasons he’s got to Christmas and been injured, even had a couple of operations at that time of year and he’s taking longer to recover to full fitness. Daka was brought in as his long term replacement so I’m sure now that he’s been at the club for a few months now we’ll see him introduced more and more after 60 minutes and then maybe given the odd start at the busy Christmas period when Vardy can be an impact sub for the last 30. 1
volpeazzurro Posted 13 November 2021 Posted 13 November 2021 21 hours ago, filbertway said: I think it's close to the stage now where Vards is in the Yakubu/Berbatov stage of the career. Where it's basically like playing with 10 men, but on the odd occasion that they're involved, there's a decent chance something will happen. Gone are the days when he was a genuine nuisance all game and played a massive part anytime the ball entered the oppositions hald, I always expect to see the "fewest touches" stat come up every time we're on tv at the minute and Vards starts. I think at some point the baton will be handed over and Vards becomes the impact sub that comes on for the last 20-30 minutes, which will probably suit him and us better. It probably won't happen until Rodgers hands are forced though injury as is usually the case. The man's talent and footballing brain are undeniably top quality, but the legs clearly aren't what they used to be. He seems to be the type that'd like to be on the pitch every minute possible though and I don't see Rodgers as being strong enough as a manager to deny him that. In fairness to Rodgers, he's not going to drop the current Premiership second top scorer. He's still managed that goalscoring record in a team that has largely been playing like shite for most of the games. Unlike Daka, he's been doing that in the Premiership for several years, he's proven. Daka will get his chance but you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater just because you've got a shiny new toy. Having said that, whether it's Vardy, Iheanacho or Daka, none of them are likely to score if the rest of the team can't get the ball to them in the right position at the right time. Vardy has continued to score despite meagre service and opportunities. He's far from finished imo.
Mike the Metal Ed Posted 13 November 2021 Posted 13 November 2021 One goal one assist against Mauritania so far.
MPH Posted 13 November 2021 Posted 13 November 2021 3 minutes ago, Mike the Metal Ed said: One goal one assist against Mauritania so far. Fair play to him!
Popular Post Matt_Lcfc Posted 13 November 2021 Popular Post Posted 13 November 2021 On 12/11/2021 at 12:24, filbertway said: I think it's close to the stage now where Vards is in the Yakubu/Berbatov stage of the career. Where it's basically like playing with 10 men, but on the odd occasion that they're involved, there's a decent chance something will happen. Gone are the days when he was a genuine nuisance all game and played a massive part anytime the ball entered the oppositions hald, I always expect to see the "fewest touches" stat come up every time we're on tv at the minute and Vards starts. I think at some point the baton will be handed over and Vards becomes the impact sub that comes on for the last 20-30 minutes, which will probably suit him and us better. It probably won't happen until Rodgers hands are forced though injury as is usually the case. The man's talent and footballing brain are undeniably top quality, but the legs clearly aren't what they used to be. He seems to be the type that'd like to be on the pitch every minute possible though and I don't see Rodgers as being strong enough as a manager to deny him that. This is not true. As others have said, he has scored seven times - all from open play already, only putting him behind Salah? I believe. Even when he is anonymous, teams will still double up on him because it’s Jamie Vardy. This gives other plays more space and is a large factor behind players like Barnes and Kel being more successful. I’d argue that his movement is one of the best in the league - look at goals last season and see how many times he has dragged defenders out of position. 10
TJB-fox Posted 13 November 2021 Posted 13 November 2021 On 12/11/2021 at 12:24, filbertway said: I think it's close to the stage now where Vards is in the Yakubu/Berbatov stage of the career. Where it's basically like playing with 10 men, but on the odd occasion that they're involved, there's a decent chance something will happen. Gone are the days when he was a genuine nuisance all game and played a massive part anytime the ball entered the oppositions hald, I always expect to see the "fewest touches" stat come up every time we're on tv at the minute and Vards starts. I think at some point the baton will be handed over and Vards becomes the impact sub that comes on for the last 20-30 minutes, which will probably suit him and us better. It probably won't happen until Rodgers hands are forced though injury as is usually the case. The man's talent and footballing brain are undeniably top quality, but the legs clearly aren't what they used to be. He seems to be the type that'd like to be on the pitch every minute possible though and I don't see Rodgers as being strong enough as a manager to deny him that. I love it when you post. Whenever I’m in need of a good chuckle you can always rely on filbertway to post some utter rubbish 3
filbertway Posted 13 November 2021 Posted 13 November 2021 5 hours ago, TJB-fox said: I love it when you post. Whenever I’m in need of a good chuckle you can always rely on filbertway to post some utter rubbish Happy to oblige mate 1 1 1
TJB-fox Posted 14 November 2021 Posted 14 November 2021 6 hours ago, filbertway said: Happy to oblige mate Glad you took it in good jest
Guest Danny Clender Posted 27 November 2021 Posted 27 November 2021 Is it time to unleash him? I’m thinking it is.
Lesta2014 Posted 27 November 2021 Posted 27 November 2021 He set the tempo Thursday right from kick off with his press. Got us straight on the front foot. We need more of this 1
Matt Posted 27 November 2021 Posted 27 November 2021 Just now, Lesta2014 said: He set the tempo Thursday right from kick off with his press. Got us straight on the front foot. We need more of this Gotta be playing him more with or without Vardy. 1
Recommended Posts