Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Brentford 1-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

58 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Like I said, 3 shots on target after going 1-0 down is not a battering.

For one thing, literally no-one ever said it was a "battering".

And for another, if you'd watched BFC over the last few seasons, you'd know that we've never been a team to have loads of shots, especially from distance, since statistically, the number of successes are outwieghed by the number of misses, which only loses you possession. Ditto attempts from direct free kicks: we very rarely bother with those either, for the same reason. (See eg Ronaldo's appalling conversion rate!).

Which is pretty much simliar to teams like Barcelona and Man. City and actually explains why our xG rating is generally higher than our opponents, including in Sunday's game.

Of course trying to manoeuvre our way into "easy" scoring positions, close in and in front of goal, is harder than ever in the PL, especially against teams like Leicester who will defend deep and hope to hit teams on the break.

Which in turn explains why BFC have made a conscious decision to work on corners and long throws as a means of augmenting their goal tally from conventional xG positions, which was again evidenced by the fact that we had a lot more of those than you, including managing to get our goal from one.

Which is not to say that Leiocester didn't didn't defend very well  (I suspect the returning Jonny Evans had a lot to do with that).

But rather than looking to a simple "3 shots on target after the goal", or even 5 during the whole game, plus another 5 attempts blocked (which you conveniently omit to mention), I've no doubt the people at Brentford will employ a much more sophisticated statistical analysis.

And if that analysis tells them that we actually played pretty well and would normally have got something from such a game, then the message will be "carry on", since these things invariably revert to the mean over time.

Similarly, if we somehow snatch a draw or a victory out of a game which statistically we might have expected to lose, there will be no complacency along the lines of "Only the result counts", rather we will look to see what went wrong with the plan and look to rectify it.

Edited by NewBee

21 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Ah right so goals for us count only....

Well can you tell me how many "Worldies" he's scored for Anderlecht/Monaco/Belgium in how many games then?

I see that he's scored a total of 61 goals in 362 games in his career to date.

Assuming that even (a generous) half of those were worldies like on Sunday, that equates to c.1 in 10, or 4 a season.

Which is pretty much conforms with his Leicester tally, and so confirms the point I am making, rather than contradicting it.

Edited by NewBee

Just now, NewBee said:

Well can you tell me how many "Worldies" he's scored for Anderlecht/Monaco/Belgium in how many games then?

Assuming that even (a generous) half of those were worldies like on Sunday, that equates to c.1 in 10, or 4 a season.

Which is pretty much conform with his Leicester tally, and so confirms the point I am making, rather than contradicting it.

You’re still here

16 minutes ago, NewBee said:

Which is pretty much conforms with his Leicester tally, and so confirms the point I am making, rather than contradicting it.

Hes a top level player, get used to playing against them and maybe don't give them time and space. You'll find they tend to do that given half a chance.....more times than you'd imagine by the sounds of it.

4 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Hes a top level player, get used to playing against them and maybe don't give them time and space. You'll find they tend to do that given half a chance.....more times than you'd imagine by the sounds of it.

Considering only 3 teams have conceded fewer goals than Brentford so far this season (i.e. the top 3), then maybe it's not happening that often?

6 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Strange amount of bitterness towards Brentford, especially considering we won.

...I  think the majority are backing Brentford and the issue is with the "lucky" tag attributed to Youri's strike, and the fact, that of all the clubs for this to happen to, Brentford did not deserve to bear this "injustice"!!!

5 minutes ago, NewBee said:

Considering only 3 teams have conceded fewer goals than Brentford so far this season (i.e. the top 3), then maybe it's not happening that often?

You defend well but its hard to stifle Vardy , Tielemans and Iheanacho , they all possess high standard goal threat..Our defending has been distinctly average so far this season and you did not take advantage of that. You will  need about 50 goals this  season to be comfortable so Toney and co.  have got to get going.

47 minutes ago, NewBee said:

Every post you make shows how little you actually understand the stats and sample sizes you’re dealing with. 

1. The number of opportunities to take that shot is very limited. And a player like Youri is smart enough to know when to take that shot if it falls to him and when to try for something else. If you were to look at his actual attempts at long range shots, you’d see he scores those more than most players and is rated as a very strong player in that area by multiple sites that track those statistics. 

2. Youri’s role changes from game to game, sometimes even during the game. Not every game is equal as you’re pretending. He’s not always in those advanced positions.  

3. Since you’ve highlighted how Brentford try to make the most out of offensive indirect set pieces, you’d think they’d defend them a bit better against us. 

4. Again. Sh*t happens. Deal with it. 

Be grateful for your success and for  Brentford employing people who actually understand statistics and how to use that to build an efficient squad.

Sure, goals like Youri’s are unlikely to happen. I don’t know why you keep harping on that like you’ve discovered some secret statistic. Every person in the world knows that and can deal it. It happened to us against Man United and we didn’t go on their boards acting like you are this week. 

Reply or not, I don’t care. You’re annoying and I won’t read it. 

Edited by The_77
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, NewBee said:

This argument is ridiculous....you gave him far too much space on the edge of the area.

The Brentford team would have spoken pre-match about preventing Tielemans from taking long shots due to his previous goals.

If you defended better by not clearing it to the edge of your box or by putting Tielesman under pressure - he wouldn't have scored.

• Like 2

I don’t understand some idiots who get onto a thread, and see a discussion - which is what it is being handled with opinions on both sides and get their knickers in a twist. How boring must your life be to get annoyed that opinions are being expressed on a forum. It’s not like anyone is calling Leicester shit or Franks a twat - it’s a football discussion. 

Sorry, probably posters like this like it when others call each other knobheads. 

1 hour ago, NewBee said:

For one thing, literally no-one ever said it was a "battering".

And for another, if you'd watched BFC over the last few seasons, you'd know that we've never been a team to have loads of shots, especially from distance, since statistically, the number of successes are outwieghed by the number of misses, which only loses you possession. Ditto attempts from direct free kicks: we very rarely bother with those either, for the same reason. (See eg Ronaldo's appalling conversion rate!).

Which is pretty much simliar to teams like Barcelona and Man. City and actually explains why our xG rating is generally higher than our opponents, including in Sunday's game.

Of course trying to manoeuvre our way into "easy" scoring positions, close in and in front of goal, is harder than ever in the PL, especially against teams like Leicester who will defend deep and hope to hit teams on the break.

Which in turn explains why BFC have made a conscious decision to work on corners and long throws as a means of augmenting their goal tally from conventional xG positions, which was again evidenced by the fact that we had a lot more of those than you, including managing to get our goal from one.

Which is not to say that Leiocester didn't didn't defend very well  (I suspect the returning Jonny Evans had a lot to do with that).

But rather than looking to a simple "3 shots on target after the goal", or even 5 during the whole game, plus another 5 attempts blocked (which you conveniently omit to mention), I've no doubt the people at Brentford will employ a much more sophisticated statistical analysis.

And if that analysis tells them that we actually played pretty well and would normally have got something from such a game, then the message will be "carry on", since these things invariably revert to the mean over time.

Similarly, if we somehow snatch a draw or a victory out of a game which statistically we might have expected to lose, there will be no complacency along the lines of "Only the result counts", rather we will look to see what went wrong with the plan and look to rectify it.

Sorry, not battering - smashed I think was the term. Look, we can get into it even more but it’s done now and for me, my immediate concern that on the perception of my own manager of being “on top” for the large parts of the game, I would want more conversion of possession into chances. There has been criticism on here of Leicester of the exact same thing. All this xg analysis etc. Means nothing if the main aim is not achieved. Good side, composed but perhaps lacks exposure - which will matter when the season gets tougher and theirs a struggle in keeping the ball as well as you did. Good luck for the rest of the season. 

3 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I don’t understand some idiots who get onto a thread, and see a discussion - which is what it is being handled with opinions on both sides and get their knickers in a twist. How boring must your life be to get annoyed that opinions are being expressed on a forum. It’s not like anyone is calling Leicester shit or Franks a twat - it’s a football discussion. 

Sorry, probably posters like this like it when others call each other knobheads. 

I, for one, appreciate the irony of your post. 

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

lol hilarious seeing so many fans cry over a fair comment 

I have no doubt that Frank would be happy to say what he said again. 

Youri should be bagging 40 a season outside the box based on how people are going on about his ability. Apparently its no issue smashing one top corner. Just keep having long range shots and 1 or 2 will definitely go in every game.

Funnily enough plenty of people were giving Youri plenty of stick the past few weeks, id love to see if there's any overlap haha

His comments were disrespectful and thick

13 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Their keeper is out for 4-5 months after colliding with Perez

Poor bloke cos I think he looks a great keeper but I hope the Brentford fans who gave Perez grief for ‘time wasting’ and moaning at their own player for kicking the ball out think  about it next time 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2