Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Brentford 1-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

15 hours ago, lcfc cowboys said:

Have not seen match yet just followed on foxestalk what everyone was saying and we got lucky but for Thomas Frank's to say what he has in public smells like shit and sour grapes he has lost my respect for him and his team

Just seems like someone being honest to me, rather that that some boring safe answers. It's good to see someone showing a bit of personality rather being a media trained robot. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

It was hard to make a good quality version GIF of Youri's strike and featuring all the angles. The initial attempt was a failure... but never give up! :punk:

giphy.gif

His strike actually started outside the post and swerved in. Totally insane strike and even better than his FA Cup final one, even though nowhere near as iconic.

The control on the strike is unreal and pure class. His follow through is the complete opposite to what you are taught. Always taught to follow through the kick after striking the ball.

He just punches through it and doesn't really break his stride. 

Just outstanding! so many premier league players would hit this over the stand! 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NewBee said:

Re your bold, I've no doubt BFC will have done a statistical analysis of Game Management tactics and concluded that by "going for it to the end", you gain more points than you lose by playing safe and holding on.

In the Liverpool game for instance, we were 3-2 down late on, but managed to get an equaliser. But we still kept piling in and only had a very late "winner" chalked off by the tightest of offside calls. Even Klopp admitted that Liverpool were glad to get the draw.

Then away to WHU, Bees took the lead on 20 mins, but when WHU finally equalised on 80 minutes, most teams would have been happy with the away draw against an in-form opponent. But BFC kept plugging away and got the winner in the 94th minute.

No doubt the club's analysts will express it more scientifically than me, but I assume this reflects that losing the draw like we did against Leicester cost us one point, whereas converting the draw against WHU into a win gained us two extra points.

I can certainly see the merit in it but its all about the execution. Under Rodgers we went from always looking to score more to starting to shut games down and for a stretch of over a year we never threw points away, even if it was a frustrating watch in the closing moments. I think it's about knowing when to stick or twist bit the mentality has to be positive which will be easier to maintain if the philosophy is to keep trying to win.

3 hours ago, NewBee said:

Re your bold, I've no doubt BFC will have done a statistical analysis of Game Management tactics and concluded that by "going for it to the end", you gain more points than you lose by playing safe and holding on.

In the Liverpool game for instance, we were 3-2 down late on, but managed to get an equaliser. But we still kept piling in and only had a very late "winner" chalked off by the tightest of offside calls. Even Klopp admitted that Liverpool were glad to get the draw.

Then away to WHU, Bees took the lead on 20 mins, but when WHU finally equalised on 80 minutes, most teams would have been happy with the away draw against an in-form opponent. But BFC kept plugging away and got the winner in the 94th minute.

No doubt the club's analysts will express it more scientifically than me, but I assume this reflects that losing the draw like we did against Leicester cost us one point, whereas converting the draw against WHU into a win gained us two extra points.

You’ll be absolutely fine this season I’m sure of it. 

I often find then when teams come into this division they play very similar football to yourselves, the intense high press, overloading the wings pressurising the defenders and ultimately looking to overwhelm the opponent leading to mistakes and opportunities to score. 

In Toney you have the ideal man for the job, as he will put those chances away more often than not.

Having played you three times over the last few season I have only one real criticism, and it’s as I mentioned earlier in the thread, personally I think your press is a bit overly aggressive, and the better teams in the league will allow you to play like you want, and then look to exploit the gaps left, for example; Youri’s goal, he was left completely unmarked, now I imagine this was due to you wanting to win the ball back, and look to immediately release your wide players and full back to spring a counter, you simply can’t do that when there is the quality of Youri on the pitch, because 20 yard screamers are food and drink to players of his quality if not marked.

Second point was our winner, a classic counter it is essentially what we were waiting to do all game, pressing from the front usually means the defence has to step up to ensure there are no gaps left between the attack and the defence, it can however cause issue as again, players of Youri’s and Daka’s intelligence will simply go through the defensive line like it isn’t there.

Brentford are an excellent side, I enjoy watching you play as a neutral, as I did Leeds last season, and Brighton in their debut PL season and Bournemouth, the list goes on.

Easentially what Brentford need to do is adapt slightly, find different ways of playing particularly against sides that have serious individual threats in them, you’ve got plenty of quality it’s about being flexible in your play when you get to this level, teams can often appear to be playing well and find themselves a few goals down because for all of their good play, they’ve exposed themselves defensively, difference between the PL and the championship is you’ll get punished for those exposures in this league, whereas in the championship you won’t.

Ive got your down for a top ten finish anyway, so enjoy the ride this season! There will be downs, but you’ll have some pretty big ups too. 

Edited by Pliskin
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Jaspa said:

Can't agree with this, the ball sits up perfectly for him to hit here. When it's coming back to you it's easier to catch it right with the way spin works and you'll feel it lift off better and see it absolutely fly most of the time.

Youri's FA cup one is all his own power and control, he's running with the ball to catch up to it, hunkers down over where it will be and smacks it laces and up from the bottom - it goes up to the perfect height, plateaus and wobbles slightly while flying into the top corner; an absolute howitzer of a strike.

Balls coming back to you are just easier to hit imo

Easier to hit but harder to keep down. It's the swerve as well to catch it so sweetly but guide it towards the goal but away from the keeper at such power and from such distance. 

Just now, NewBee said:

BFC have been looking for a site for a new ground since the turn of the century. We could probably have got one somewhere on an industrial estate miles away to the West (out by Heathrow?) which would have been affordable and big enough to accommodate, say, 30k. And it would have been a proper shithole which we couldn't fill, completely devoid of soul or atmosphere, like eg Reading or Bolton.

Whereas our owner was determined to stay close to the club's roots, regardless of cost. About 20(?) years ago a supporter noticed a tiny site hemmed in between 3 railway lines which he reckoned could just accommodate a stadium (no-one else believed him, btw). The site is less than a mile from Griffin Park.

Anyhow, after over a decade fighting for planning permission, and enduring the 2008 property crash which caused the club's commercial partner, Taylor Woodrow, to walk away, BFC finally decided to go it alone around 2010, with the 950 flats which you see being built around hoped to pay for the ground.

And to give you an idea of how ambitious this all was, BFC were in Lge One when this all started, having been in League Two not long before. Worse still, local property prices are so high that eg the cheapest flat in the new stadium development is well over £400k. By the time all the bills come in to be paid, the stadium build itself will have cost the guts of £100m.

All this from a club who were going bust before our owner saved us, and whose revenue (before transfer profits) in the Championship last season was around £15m. So that even if we go down again this season, the club should be just about debt free, with a brand new stadium of a size which suits our support, literally 300 yards from the Boathouse on the Thames where a local rowing club decided to form a football club back in 1889.

So you may consider it a "shithole", but it's our shithole and we love it!  No clappers, either. ;)

Fair enough thanks for the context mate. Hate to agree on the clappers, I've been wanting them binned for years :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Interesting to hear Frank's complaining, and I get his disappointment...but this doesn't really back him up (and we know they love xG).

• 2 of their 3 players with the highest xG were CBs. They clearly saw set pieces as a weakness of ours and used that route to try and score but couldn't get good chances for their attackers.
  • The other player in their top 3 was hauled off at the hour mark (why?)
  • Our good chances were created for the right players, and 2 of the 3 highest for us were players Rodgers brought on to the pitch. Good subs from Rodgers.
  • Overall xG suggests a roughly even game shaded by Brentford - not a hammering. The early goal allowed us to settle in to some good game management - which we seemed to handle pretty well. They knocked on the door throughout but didn't really hammer it and the real moment of quality was created by us at 1-1.

29 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

The control on the strike is unreal and pure class. His follow through is the complete opposite to what you are taught. Always taught to follow through the kick after striking the ball.

He just punches through it and doesn't really break his stride. 

Just outstanding! so many premier league players would hit this over the stand! 

What a brilliant strike. And after his Goal of the season last week against Man United.

A lot of talk about Kasper's distribution. I've got no issues with him giving it away when trying to launch a quick counter with a big ball up field. Most times it might go straight out of play or straight to them but occasionally it will work and we are a major threat when it does. Its the pissing about dinking it to full/wing backs and into central midfield I have the problem with. 

Edited by RowlattsFox
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NewBee said:

BFC have been looking for a site for a new ground since the turn of the century. We could probably have got one somewhere on an industrial estate miles away to the West (out by Heathrow?) which would have been affordable and big enough to accommodate, say, 30k. And it would have been a proper shithole which we couldn't fill, completely devoid of soul or atmosphere, like eg Reading or Bolton.

Whereas our owner was determined to stay close to the club's roots, regardless of cost. About 20(?) years ago a supporter noticed a tiny site hemmed in between 3 railway lines which he reckoned could just accommodate a stadium (no-one else believed him, btw). The site is less than a mile from Griffin Park.

Anyhow, after over a decade fighting for planning permission, and enduring the 2008 property crash which caused the club's commercial partner, Taylor Woodrow, to walk away, BFC finally decided to go it alone around 2010, with the 950 flats which you see being built around hoped to pay for the ground.

And to give you an idea of how ambitious this all was, BFC were in Lge One when this all started, having been in League Two not long before. Worse still, local property prices are so high that eg the cheapest flat in the new stadium development is well over £400k. By the time all the bills come in to be paid, the stadium build itself will have cost the guts of £100m.

All this from a club who were going bust before our owner saved us, and whose revenue (before transfer profits) in the Championship last season was around £15m. So that even if we go down again this season, the club should be just about debt free, with a brand new stadium of a size which suits our support, literally 300 yards from the Boathouse on the Thames where a local rowing club decided to form a football club back in 1889.

So you may consider it a "shithole", but it's our shithole and we love it!  No clappers, either. ;)

I think there's a balance here, I was texting a friend about this because objectively you guys have done brilliantly to get to get a plot of land in that area, so close to your old stadium, in an expensive part (aren't they all expensive) of London. The planning to do it, to have London Irish playing to help costs, a functional venue to sweat your assets multiple days a year and to have a plethora of residential development to pay for it genuinely are a triumph. I'd be interested in a podcast or 20 min doc about your new stadium story.

Take that out of it though, and the fan experience is just... a bit meh. It is so hidden away, there's no identification that you're getting anywhere near it unless you see a little paddle with info, or the gargantuan amount of security ready for a frisk. All of the pubs near to the ground were completely rammed from 2hrs onwards, the experience inside the stadium was soulless. White walls, no alcohol, lacking in toilet facilities (this may be space related I'll cede). Then on a haunt back to Gunnersbury the station is temp shut for "safety reasons," when all I wanted to do was get back home. Instead I was faced with a choice of a walk to Action Town or wait till 4:45pm.

I guess the above could largely be my own fault for nor researching, but whilst I'll be there next season I'll be travelling in from somewhere else, coming to the game and heading back straight afterwards. It's not a venue that draws me in.

31 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

A lot of talk about Kasper's distribution. I've got no issues with him giving it away when trying to launch a quick counter with a big ball up field. Most times it might go straight out of play or straight to them but occasionally it will work and we are a major threat when it does. Its the pissing about dinking it to full/wing backs and into central midfield I have the problem with. 

Agree with this but saw Ederson play exactly the same ball that dropped Man City into a bit of bother at the weekend. Must be a coached out ball.

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

I think there's a balance here, I was texting a friend about this because objectively you guys have done brilliantly to get to get a plot of land in that area, so close to your old stadium, in an expensive part (aren't they all expensive) of London. The planning to do it, to have London Irish playing to help costs, a functional venue to sweat your assets multiple days a year and to have a plethora of residential development to pay for it genuinely are a triumph. I'd be interested in a podcast or 20 min doc about your new stadium story.

Tbh, I had to abbreviate like crazy what was a 20 year process, excluding myriad Court cases, Planning meetings, appeals, nimbys, CPO's  and existing landlords trying to hold the club to ransom. Afaik, the original site had (literally) dozens of freeholders, some of which no longer existed (eg 19th century railway companies), or were never able to be found!

Take that out of it though, and the fan experience is just... a bit meh. It is so hidden away, there's no identification that you're getting anywhere near it unless you see a little paddle with info, or the gargantuan amount of security ready for a frisk. All of the pubs near to the ground were completely rammed from 2hrs onwards, the experience inside the stadium was soulless. White walls, no alcohol, lacking in toilet facilities (this may be space related I'll cede). Then on a haunt back to Gunnersbury the station is temp shut for "safety reasons," when all I wanted to do was get back home. Instead I was faced with a choice of a walk to Action Town or wait till 4:45pm.

Maybe it's an away thing (though other teams' fans enjoyed themselves).

Anyhow, I've no doubt the club would love to sell beer to away fans, but are being prevented from doing so (local SSG? Council? Police?) - home fans can certainly buy alcohol in all areas. But even then, like all other football fans, we're not allowed to drink it within sight of the pitch etc.. Yet when London Irish play here, they can carry their drink back to their seats while the game is on.

As for the lack of toilets, I can't comment, but am genuinely surprised. Meanwhile, the lack of access to Gunnersbury is completely out of our control (we've asked for it to open), but basically the station has only "island platforms", making it prone to overcrowding etc, London Transport could solve it easily by employing extra stewarding staff (as they do for Mon-Fri rush hours), but the cheapskates have repeatedly refused to spend the money.

As for the pubs being rammed etc, the ones immediately by the stadium are, but if you know where to look, there are at least a dozen other pubs within 8-10 minutes walk, with a dozen more again within 15-20 minutes walk (incl 3 of the 4 corner pubs at Griffin Park). I'd suggest googling Strand-on-the-Green; or to the East on Chiswick High Road; or just over the bridge in Kew; or further out West on Brentford High Street.

I guess the above could largely be my own fault for nor researching, but whilst I'll be there next season I'll be travelling in from somewhere else, coming to the game and heading back straight afterwards. It's not a venue that draws me in.

We look forward to hosting you again - assuming one of us doesn't get relegated, that is. ;)

Edited by NewBee

Thomas W+nk really needs to calm down.   Them versus Burnley next week will be a wonderful watch. The ball will be in the air for most of the game.

Edited by mozartfox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, NewBee said:

Tbh, I had to abbreviate like crazy what was a 20 year process, excluding myriad Court cases, Planning meetings, appeals, nimbys, CPO's  and existing landlords trying to hold the club to ransom. Afaik, the original site had (literally) dozens of freeholders, some of which no longer existed (eg 19th century railway companies), or were never able to be found!

Maybe it's an away thing (though other teams' fans enjoyed themselves).

Anyhow, I've no doubt the club would love to sell beer to away fans, but are being prevented from doing so (local SSG? Council? Police?) - home fans can certainly buy alcohol in all areas. But even then, like all other football fans, we're not allowed to drink it within sight of the pitch etc.. Yet when London Irish play here, they can carry their drink back to their seats while the game is on.

As for the lack of toilets, I can't comment, but am genuinely surprised. Meanwhile, the lack of access to Gunnersbury is completely out of our control (we've asked for it to open), but basically the station has only "island platforms", making it prone to overcrowding etc, London Transport could solve it easily by employing extra stewarding staff (as they do for Mon-Fri rush hours), but the cheapskates have repeatedly refused to spend the money.

As for the pubs being rammed etc, the ones immediately by the stadium are, but if you know where to look, there are at least a dozen other pubs within 8-10 minutes walk, with a dozen more again within 15-20 minutes walk (incl 3 of the 4 corner pubs at Griffin Park). I'd suggest googling Strand-on-the-Green; or to the East on Chiswick High Road; or just over the bridge in Kew; or further out West on Brentford High Street.

We look forward to hosting you again - assuming one of us doesn't get relegated, that is. ;)

Thanks for all of this. Of course the hysteria always has logic behind it, and of course it's not BFC's fault the station closes. I think when it all just adds up, it's a frustrating day because I was really looking forward to it. Frankly, if it had been a 3pm Saturday I probably wouldn't have cared as much, but with an hour less pre-match, on a Sunday and wanting to get back for a proper evening pre Monday, it all comes together in a perfect storm.

We could definitely tell you can buy alcohol because in the away section the cash register screens still have the UNDER 25 graphic!

I'll take a 60-minute documentary and a podcast series for sure instead then! The fact you're in it is great, it's probably an engineering spectacle based on squeezing a ground into that tight corner. I also suspect it'll be the thing that keeps you up self sufficient and solvent for many, many years to come.

15 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Thomas W+nk really needs to calm down.   Them versus Burnley next week will be a wonderful watch. The ball will be in the air for most of the game.

So beautifully simple and yet so funny lol 

5 hours ago, filbertway said:

Just seems like someone being honest to me, rather that that some boring safe answers. It's good to see someone showing a bit of personality rather being a media trained robot. 

But I feel is he was disrespecting us as a team even though In my  post they were the better team overall . Some you win some you lose and if you don't take your chances you may get your fingers burned.he should have said we could also blame overselves for not scoring when we were on top

• Like 1