Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Brentford 1-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

2 hours ago, NewBee said:

It wasn't at all "lucky" in the sense that he knew exactly what he was doing, and has the technique to pull it off when most other players don't.

But I think TF's point was that for all the above, he'll still only hit a goal like that maybe a couple of times a season, 3 at most..

Made worse by the fact that it happened to be against Brentford and in a tight game where it made the difference between a draw and a defeat.

In other words, bemoaning the fact that we were "unlucky" isn't the same as claiming that YT was "lucky".

EDIT: I see that in 97 PL games for Leicester to date, YT has scored 15 times. And they can't all have been "worldies".

And Zanka has scored 4 goals in 4 years, 2 of which against Leicester 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, NewBee said:

If that is the same "Billy Bean Moneyball nonsense" which has taken us to all the way to the PL, from playing in League One before crowds of 6k, in an outdated, crumbling 12k capacity stadium, whilst in so much debt that we were literally making bucket collections to keep the lights on, then that will do this geriatric hipster just fine. :thumbup:

All fair and incredibly impressive achievements…that’ll still get ya laughed out of the Premier League. :P

Edited by The_77

Just now, The_77 said:

All fair and incredibly impressive achievements…that’ll still get ya laughed out of the Premier League. :P

No, I don't think you can get laughed out of the PL.

Unless, perhaps, you're Norwich.

Oh and btw, has anyone suggested laughing Liverpool out of the PL yet?

https://tribuna.com/en/news/liverpoolfc-2020-08-25-what-is-moneyball-and-how-liverpool-have-used-it-to-their-advantage-explained-in/

13 minutes ago, NewBee said:

If that is the same "Billy Bean Moneyball nonsense" which has taken us to all the way to the PL, from playing in League One before crowds of 6k, in an outdated, crumbling 12k capacity stadium, whilst in so much debt that we were literally making bucket collections to keep the lights on, then that will do this geriatric hipster just fine. :thumbup:

Have to say your new ground is a mess, whoever designed that needs shooting 

• Haha 1

Just now, NewBee said:

That’s great and congrats, but you’re on a forum of a team who famously upset statistics and odds claiming “statistical luck” behind the win on the weekend. Fact is if one of your lads gets out quicker to close down it’s a zero percent chance. You weren’t good enough and we were.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bristol fox .... said:

Have to say your new ground is a mess, whoever designed that needs shooting 

I suggest you watch this video. If you can't be bothered with the full six minutes, then just fast forward to 1 min 15 secs, tthrough to 2 min. 45 secs.

Edited by NewBee

1 minute ago, NewBee said:

No, I don't think you can get laughed out of the PL.

Unless, perhaps, you're Norwich.

Oh and btw, has anyone suggested laughing Liverpool out of the PL yet?

https://tribuna.com/en/news/liverpoolfc-2020-08-25-what-is-moneyball-and-how-liverpool-have-used-it-to-their-advantage-explained-in/

Or Derby! Look, we all understand the validation in that sort of approach to varying degrees. Our club has invests heavily in analytics and that has played a huge part in our success. But if you just want to assess games like a reinsurance underwriter instead of a fan, yeah, you’ll be laughed out! lol Tbf, though, you’ll stay up this season playing your enjoyable brand of football. It’s good to see a side like Brentford approach things differently. 

But you have to balance that, especially if you’re not a sports data analyst yourself.  At the end of the day, you weren’t very statistically unlucky, we generated 17% edge in xG. 

54C2C50B-338D-4031-89B3-8817F8B03029.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NewBee said:

I suggest you watch this video. If you can't be bothered with the full six minutes, then just fast forward to 1 min 15 secs, then 1 min. 45 secs.

I did try but I only got as far as 1:10 before cringe quitting.  Do you have a summary without the lads lads lads banter?

I thought Brentford played well very pressed us hard, made us work for the victory. I did notice though they did not look all that clinical up front they reminded me of Bournemouth a few seasons back. Man for man we have a much better side and the quality clearly shined in the end, you can only huff and puff for so long until you get found out. The premier league is a marathon not a sprint game management is a big part of winning any game something we implemented better in the second half. I can understand Brentford’s frustrations but it’s all a learning curve. Fantastic Youri strike What a GOAL not bad for a chap who played mid week in the snow racking up 12 hours flying time 😂

16 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I did try but I only got as far as 1:10 before cringe quitting.  Do you have a summary without the lads lads lads banter?

Watch it with the sound muted. Seriously. (I did because the missus was trying to watch the telly and I couldn't be bothered to look for the headphones).

And the graphics tell the story very clearly.

I was actually thinking about this game this morning and realising just what a good win it was for us. 

Many clubs have come unstuck at the weekend following a midweek European jaunt. Especially one in somewhere Eastern European like Moscow. Considering the big clubs would also have had European fixtures Brentford away was up there with one of the worst possible after Moscow away. 

A high pressing, all energy, hard working team that is full of confidence and playing for their manager. Riding the storm and coming away with a win is a perfect away performance and a great 3 points for us. 

• Like 2

Not saying they aren't a well run club because they clearly are. But they had a Brentford fan or reporter on radio leicester on the boot room previewing the game last Thursday and he was explaining the so called "money ball" blue print which they use. 

As far as I could tell It's basically they buy players as cheap as possible, develop them and then sell them for as much money as possible. Didn't sound particularly revolutionary I would say 90 percent of the clubs in the football league try to operate like that. Brentford have clearly been very good an its nothing new age just good football business. 

5 minutes ago, NewBee said:

Dunno where you got that figure.

infogol had the xG as 1.31 to 1.01 in BFC's favour.

fotmob had it 1.06 to 0.94 for BFC

And eplanalysis had the xG as 1.69 to 0.72 to us.

While from memory, MOTD also gave it to us.

That and £2.50 will get you a EuroMillions ticket (but no self respecting Brentford fan would take those odds :P). 

Were you the better team for most of the game? Absolutely, yes. 

But you also let us straight down the pitch to pretty much walk the ball into an open goal.

It was a tough game and your boys put in a great shift. Good luck this season, the return leg should be fun. 

• Like 1

We’re just fans when all said and done and we want our team to win. Leicester won this one and Brentford didn’t, though whether they deserved to is a matter of opinion.

I think most Leicester fans acknowledge Brentford played well but your manager made a bit of a fool of himself by reacting the way he did. Better to accept it wasn’t your day, keep improving and move on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NewBee said:

It wasn't at all "lucky" in the sense that he knew exactly what he was doing, and has the technique to pull it off when most other players don't.

But I think TF's point was that for all the above, he'll still only hit a goal like that maybe a couple of times a season, 3 at most..

Made worse by the fact that it happened to be against Brentford and in a tight game where it made the difference between a draw and a defeat.

In other words, bemoaning the fact that we were "unlucky" isn't the same as claiming that YT was "lucky".

EDIT: I see that in 97 PL games for Leicester to date, YT has scored 15 times. And they can't all have been "worldies".

Dude, that’s a seriously weak argument. That’s like saying oh Messi scored all those wonderful goals because he ran really fast past people but it was lucky as sometimes he may get tackled. 

Franks seems to have the mentality of other managers who have failed in the prem. Simply unable to get results so blames everything on luck. You’ve got to convert possession to chances and chances to goals. A better side with so much possession would’ve tested the keeper more and scored to cancel out a wonder strike. Brentford did neither - their best chances came from our own shortcomings (long balls/throws into the box). They’ll struggle after Christmas, after the bounce wears off unless they fix that.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Not saying they aren't a well run club because they clearly are. But they had a Brentford fan or reporter on radio leicester on the boot room previewing the game last Thursday and he was explaining the so called "money ball" blue print which they use. 

As far as I could tell It's basically they buy players as cheap as possible, develop them and then sell them for as much money as possible. Didn't sound particularly revolutionary I would say 90 percent of the clubs in the football league try to operate like that. Brentford have clearly been very good an its nothing new age just good football business. 

....they have done a great job in scouting and developed, Benrahma, Mbuemo and Olli Watkins!!!

4 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Most championship clubs do this, however for it to work you need to invest in scouting and coaching and I think this is where Brentford have invested and the reason its working for them. You can tell by the way they play they are very well coached which will improve players. 

I like Brentford and their style. Definitely have an identity and go out to find players and improve them to suit. 

Edited by fox_favourite

8 hours ago, NewBee said:

I suggest you watch this video. If you can't be bothered with the full six minutes, then just fast forward to 1 min 15 secs, tthrough to 2 min. 45 secs.

Just watched this video and i haven’t changed my mind. its still the worst new build ive seen imo.

im sure it will look magnificent in a few years once expansion is complete for when you welcome all those bored chelsea fans. Good luck with that one :crylaugh:

Edited by Bristol fox ....