Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Brentford 1-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

The more I read from Brentford fans and the club the more I can't stop laughing. Next they'll be bemoaning when they lose tight games to a set piece goal from a defender. Well the defenders only score a couple a season so its lucky. Unbelievable guff and although I respect confidence and not conforming to type, I also shake my head at delusion and disregard and I can't quite tell yet where Brentford sit. I think it's a bit of both.

In Brentfords logic we still won 1-0 through Maddison as it was a tap in for the xG hipsters from a player who scores frequently. Either way they lost and were very ineffective 2nd half after a very good 1st half. I'd have said a draw would have still been fair but I don't agree that they did enough to smash us over 90 minutes. We were streetwise and once we got the goal we kept them at arms length with only set pieces the real danger. 

An interesting team though compared to most of the muck that comes up. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, NewBee said:

Re your bold, in two full seasons, YT scored 9 goals in 75 PL games. Assuming that half of those were "worldies" like on Sunday, then that is 2 or 3 a season.

Which is exactly what I originally posted i.e. "But I think TF's point was that for all the above, he'll still only hit a goal like that maybe a couple of times a season, 3 at most.".

As for his "getting lucky", here is what I originally posted in that respect: "It wasn't at all "lucky" in the sense that he knew exactly what he was doing, and has the technique to pull it off when most other players don't."

So I will try again to explain that imo, it was statistically unlucky for Brentford that it happened to us, rather than some other team, and during a match where it proved the difference between a draw and a defeat.

And that cannot be construed as in any way disparaging of YT's brilliant strike - unless you want to read it that way.

Not true. The difference between a draw and a defeat was the counter attack. Something Brentford will learn soon enough is that the best teams in the premier league can score worldies, as well as score on the front foot and on the counter attack. And tactically speaking, Frank got schooled by Rodgers, nothing unlucky about it. 

4 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

Most championship clubs do this, however for it to work you need to invest in scouting and coaching and I think this is where Brentford have invested and the reason its working for them. You can tell by the way they play they are very well coached which will improve players. 

I like Brentford and their style. Definitely have an identity and go out to find players and improve them to suit. 

I absolutely agree with this.  I've been eyeing Brentford's progress, from a distance, over the last 6 years and it's obvious that their methods are very similar to ours in terms of exceptional scouting, buying cheap, developing well, selling for a big profit, etc, but they do it much better than most.  They have advanced steadily up the leagues over that period, coming from humble beginnings, and are competing for support with the big London clubs.  They also do it while keeping within budget.

Most admirable for me is that they deserved to go up from the Championship in 2 successive seasons but choked in the play-offs, yet persisted for a third year and made it at last - even though losing some key players to predators during that period.  I really expected them to fall away, but they persisted and retained their hunger.

Fantastic achievement, and I really want them to stay up this season and see if they can continue to build in the Prem - a very tall order.  Pity their manager went a bit over the top with his hard luck comments, and they will definitely find it hard to maintain their bright start as the season starts to wear them down.  They definitely need to take defeats like this on the chin and learn from them quickly.

Thanks for your input, Newbee.  Hope you stick around on this forum.

Edited by deep blue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I'm sorry but this post made me laugh and I don't think in a way you intended. 

"Alongside statistics are facts" sounded like a Trumpism. 

And how can any Leicester fan sit there and mock sabermetrics? How the fvck do you think we built the squad that won the Premier League? You think we found Riyad, Vards, Kante and Co by blind luck? 

Stats driven signings. Same as Soumaré and Daka. 

Everyone's been banging on about Leicester's recruitment for the last few years, it's driven by pretty much the same methodology, we're just not as vocal as Brentford are and nor is quite an obsession on the same level here. 

@NewBee does seem to have drunk the koolaid a little but who can blame him for being a bit excited? His club are absolutely flying high at the minute, this is a great time for them. I'm not sure why so many Leicester fans on here are tripping over themselves to try and take it away from them. 

It's a really, really ugly colour on us. 

Yeah it was disappointing to hear Frank imply Tieleman's goal was a fluke, that was disingenuous to one of the best players in the world. But it's two seconds after an unlucky defeat at home in a game they mostly dominated. You can forgive him being a bit bitter. We all would be, wouldn't we? Surely you want a manager to be emotionally invested and affected? 

Most of my responses to NewBee have been tongue in cheek looking for a reaction, but on a serious note; no I’m not naive enough to think we don’t use metrics Finnegan you clown. But calling that strike ‘statistically lucky’ is a whole other ball game, laughable in fact. 

And no, I don’t remember thinking in our first season back in the Prem that we were ‘statistically unlucky’. I remember agreeing with Pearson a lot that we’d lose by fine margins, but like he always did, knew that it was due to the players we had being inexperienced at this level and not good enough at times. It’s about knowing when you’ve been beat, not drawing up fantasies and excuses with numerical data. That’s just deluded. 

10 hours ago, KFS said:

Listen pal, I know your hipster fans have bought into this Billy Bean Moneyball nonsense, but it’s sentences like this that’ll get you laughed out of the Premier League.

Alongside statistics are facts, and the fact of the matter is Youri smashed a thundercvnt past your keeper because your boys didn’t close him down. Nothing ‘statistically unlucky’ about that, your team wasn’t good enough in that moment and ours was.

lol lol

Wow, we've crossed over, we have a fan that is actually talking down to another fan because their team has been in the top division longer Hahaha.

Its a dark day for the forum

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

lol lol

Wow, we've crossed over, we have a fan that is actually talking down to another fan because their team has been in the top division longer Hahaha.

Its a dark day for the forum

Massive miss of context isn’t that mate, only reason I and others have called him out is because he’s claiming they lost due to statistical luck. They weren’t good enough, like Leicester haven’t been over the years at times. Just admit it, not hard

9 hours ago, NewBee said:

Dunno where you got that figure.

infogol had the xG as 1.31 to 1.01 in BFC's favour.

fotmob had it 1.06 to 0.94 for BFC

And eplanalysis had the xG as 1.69 to 0.72 to us.

While from memory, MOTD also gave it to us.

You disappointied me. I was excited to see you live but it was just long direct balls most of the game and the awful long throws.

You had more chances/shots, whatever, but we had the better chances. It happens.

21 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I can certainly see the merit in it but its all about the execution. Under Rodgers we went from always looking to score more to starting to shut games down and for a stretch of over a year we never threw points away, even if it was a frustrating watch in the closing moments. I think it's about knowing when to stick or twist bit the mentality has to be positive which will be easier to maintain if the philosophy is to keep trying to win.

...that inclination very much takes me back to the Ipswich team under Burley!!!

They passed it from start to finish, an extraordinary decision to hold on to a philosophy that had brought them promotion. 

They picked up a lot of points in the last minutes by continually keeping the ball on the floor and players moving into spaces to make options. In the closing minutes of games the last thing a team with a lead wants is a composed opponent who doesn't panic and is strategic. They won penalties  and scored last minutes goals, all due to their opponents panicking in order to see out the game. If you can keep that sort of mindset, and believe in what you are doing, then the rewards will come.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KFS said:

Massive miss of context isn’t that mate, only reason I and others have called him out is because he’s claiming they lost due to statistical luck. They weren’t good enough, like Leicester haven’t been over the years at times. Just admit it, not hard

Its had them punching above their weight for years, I think they'll be happy enough to stick to their principles.

They'll continue to outperform clubs with greater reputations and vaster wealth because they think and operate more intelligently than most of them.

10 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Its had them punching above their weight for years, I think they'll be happy enough to stick to their principles.

They'll continue to outperform clubs with greater reputations and vaster wealth because they think and operate more intelligently than most of them.

I am interested to see if the Scandinavian market being effectively closed to them will prove a barrier. Although they could effectively use Midtjylland as a work permit hub subject to them getting European competition. 

xG prediction for the amount of time the ball will 'off the ground' on Saturday at Turf Moor:

Launched by Burnley :  - 8 long throws - 5 corners

Launched by Brentford: - 18 long throws - 19 corners

23 minutes ago, filbertway said:

...if that way of thinking can be accepted as beneficial to them, then why are people on this forum berated to believe a top 6 spot is an over reach!!!

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah it was disappointing to hear Frank imply Tieleman's goal was a fluke, 

Not as disappointing as that apostrophe

14 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Strange amount of bitterness towards Brentford, especially considering we won.

Brentford fans on their forum and Brentford supporting social media posters plus their manager started it, I thought Leicester fans on Sunday while the match was playing, this forum were quite complementary towards them

Edited by CrispinLA in Texas
  • Like 1