Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Christmas Dinner - Scheduled for the 25th December

36 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I'll settle the mash debate...

It's only acceptable with a couple of tablespoons of wholegrain mustard added at mashing stage.

Try it.

It'll change your life.

Has to be cheese and wholegrain mustard.

Pesto mash is lovely too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

Has to be cheese and wholegrain mustard.

Pesto mash is lovely too.

Agree.

It's such a versatile side, depending on what you're serving it with.

A bit of parmesan in it is nice too, as are chilli flakes.

Not tried cheese and wholegrain together, I'll give it a go :thumbup:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

On the subject of mash, do people add milk or cream?

I just use a load of butter and generously season.

Neither because we always have something to flavour it, if I was having it plain I'd probably use Greek yoghurt like I use in loaded jacket potatoes.

31 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Wait...what???

Try it, game changer.

Add your butter then crack in an egg and mash quick so it doesn't scramble. Adds amazing creaminess just like a proper carbonara.

ALso, don't scrimp on the nutmeg, it really lifts potato.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Evening people already excited about Christmas dinner. Does anyone know how long opened port lasts for? I have a big bottle opened last year. Google seems to think they last a couple of months but that’s maybe just to preserve best taste. Anyone know?

I'd just try it to find out how it tastes. If it resembles vinegar you'll know it's no good.

Edited to add I only use red wine for cooking, and that lasts ages after opening to still be useful for cooking but not necessarily for drinking!

Edited by FoxesDeb

13 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Evening people already excited about Christmas dinner. Does anyone know how long opened port lasts for? I have a big bottle opened last year. Google seems to think they last a couple of months but that’s maybe just to preserve best taste. Anyone know?

I went on a tour in Porto last year where they explained the difference in time they can be left opening without spoiling depending on whether it's white, ruby or tawny and the age.

I can't remember any of it though.

Port was nice!

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Have to disagree there, I'd never have any roast or Xmas dinner without them. World class bits of scran and tradition goes out the window as a result 😂😂

They are world class scran I just cant get it on my Xmas plate!

1 hour ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Nice idea, but it'll get 'political' and be shut down. Someone would point out that Mussolini liked his mash with butter, then someone else will say that Lenin stirred cheese into his, then the thread will get locked and everyone will get banned.

I'm prepared to fight anyone who suggests that Trotsky wasn't the potato masher to take forward state communism.

On 09/12/2022 at 20:12, tom27111 said:

We need a mash potato thread.

If someone can be bothered to start it, can you please name it "The mash potato thread - potatoes that are mashed, not roasted, fried or boiled" lol

'Smash'ing idea.

Do they even still make that stuff? It was awful!

58 minutes ago, los dedos said:

What are everyone's timings for Xmas dinner ? I was blown away by some grandparents I know on the school run

Telling me they have Xmas Dinner ready for 12. Washed up and sitting in front of the telly for 13.30. 😅

Aim for dinner about 2-2:30

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, los dedos said:

What are everyone's timings for Xmas dinner ? I was blown away by some grandparents I know on the school run

Telling me they have Xmas Dinner ready for 12. Washed up and sitting in front of the telly for 13.30. 😅

We usually aim to sit about 1pm, this usually means anywhere between 1.30pm and 2pm.  If my parents didn't come to us for Christmas, I'm certain they'd be eating at 12.30pm, finished and sitting down by 1.30pm.