Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Christmas Dinner - Scheduled for the 25th December

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Has everyone got everything sorted? I know most just assume it’s cool having Christmas dinner but for those that cook and sort everything there is a shit load of pressure. 

I cooked for 19 last year. 

2 x beef wellingtons and a big turkey for main course, with all the bits (including my braised red cabbage...universally regarded as better than @tom27111 's) and I did 2 whole hot smoked salmons on the kamado for starters. Can't remember what dessert was, but I don't think I put much effort into it! Just did Champagne and some shop bought canapes for the amuse bouche bit. 

Tbh, I didn't really enjoy any of my food as I was too busy faffing around making sure everything went out on time. 

Had to buy an additional fridge and oven as well.

I was pretty organised, but you are correct, it's still a bit of a headache as you don't want to balls it up. It might just be a big Sunday roast, but you really don't want it to go wrong.    

At my sisters this year, and she's doing it all. So, you know...bring it on     :celebrate: 

• Haha 1

On 20/12/2022 at 19:19, Unabomber said:

Has everyone got everything sorted? I know most just assume it’s cool having Christmas dinner but for those that cook and sort everything there is a shit load of pressure. 

Last day at work today.  Have to go and grab the veggies tomorrow.  Everything else is ready to go.  Turkey will be cooked the night before, Beef going in around 8:30 on the day.  Done it a number of times before so not phased by cooking for 8, looking forward to it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Last day at work today.  Have to go and grab the veggies tomorrow.  Everything else is ready to go.  Turkey will be cooked the night before, Beef going in around 8:30 on the day.  Done it a number of times before so not phased by cooking for 8, looking forward to it.

So you have the turkey cold or do you re heat it? 

Just the four of us this Christmas, my four year old not massively keen on Xmas lunch so keeping it low key. 

Got the absolute best Chicken I could find at £12, it’ll be delicious compared to the shittiest turkey being twice the price. 

I’m actually quite looking forward to cooking this year for a change despite being down with a stonking cold. 

Curry goat is about to be seasoned this morning.  Then take it over to the inlaws and slow cook that bad boy and enjoy with some roti, dhal puri, curry pumpkin,  cholay  (curry chickpeas)  and of course desserts after.

Back to back years i think on curry goat. Normally do a chicken roast (prefer to turkey) dinner but the beauty of being a brown family is either or works.

Wouldnt mind a plater of your xmas dinner though like a buffet of foods haha.

Enjoy cooking everyone and most importantly have a great time doing it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KingsX said:

It’s deep fried turkey and cornbread dressing down here in the Texas Hill Country.

With California pinot noir, as the local vintages, while plentiful, aren’t up to holiday standard.

My american colleagues used to rave about deep fried turkeys. We dont do that up hre north of the border . Do you prefer that to traditional roasted turkey?

1 minute ago, Jattdogg said:

My american colleagues used to rave about deep fried turkeys. We dont do that up hre north of the border . Do you prefer that to traditional roasted turkey?

It stays moist and has crispy, spicy skin which is just as big a treat as the meat. I love it as a change of taste, not a replacement for roast turkey.

It does require at least 5 gallons of peanut oil which has to be strained and reused, and a jet-engine sized burner to get that oil close to 400 degrees F. So it’s strictly an outdoor production.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I've got everything basically pre done just needs to go in the oven from m and s, triple threat meat turkey duck and chicken, toasties, mash, all the veg, stuffing, pigs in blankets, yorkies, all just needs sticking in the oven tomorrow. 

Eat me and I’ll smack you round the chops, steal your hubcaps and shit in your hat? 

9 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Not Christmas dinner related, but just opened the Cadbury’s heroes to find 2 multipack size twirls & none of the miniature ones. Christmas ruined, kids crying 

Same with my tub. Took them both out, eat them and said we’d been had over by Cadbury’s - hope the wife doesn’t complain to them 🙂