Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mr Weller 2

The England haters

Guest StevieLynex
37 minutes ago, Stinky said:

I've recently went and bought a cheap little blue notepad from WH Smith and started making a list of all users who have said they have no interest in international football and will not be watching any minute of the world Cup. I will be on you like a rash in a place where you would least like a rash when you start sticking your nose in the world cup forum. 

Was Brendan in the same section?

I used to be very invested, as said, City weren't likely to win a major trophy and I had high hopes for England. We had great squads that looked capable. I suppose it helped being younger then, always went to the pub with mates for tournaments for those during 1996 - 2008.

After so many tournaments of disappointment and being absolutely gutted. I'm now just apathetic. I'll watch, but do not have the interest I did. I thought it perhaps stemmed from not living in England and being surrounded by the enthusiasm for it. But after returning before last year's Euro's nothing has changed.

I'm uncomfortable with it being held in Qatar. I'll be watching, mainly because there's no league matches and it's winter.

• Like 1

England's national side has consistently let us all down across most of the tournaments whilst I've been alive (and I'm ancient), apart from maybe the last one.

We've had some real stinkers at tournaments after flat track bullying minnow nations to qualify.

Previous managers have picked players based on name not form.  Big club bias abounds.

With Southgate, even when glory is there for the taking, he goes all defensive and it doesn't work.

I'll be staggered if we manage do any good in Qatar, but I'll still watch, as I do missionary work amongst ignorant heathens who want us to lose.

Gwon England.

• Like 1

Our players being involved helps. This place was a lot more engaged in 2016 and 2018 when Vardy and Maguire played. Maddison being there will keep the interest going.

England didn't live up to the hype (whether it was proportionate or not) for many years and now a lot of the squad have been on pitch rivals in the recent past. 

Don't understand why people want them to fail but can get why there's been a disconnect, too.

I don't hate england, however over the more recent years i have certainly no cared as much about the results. The players do not seem to care about the national team except for major tournaments. 

I would much rather Leicester win than England any day of the week. 

That said, i how we do well especially for madders

• Like 1

It's not hate,  just apathy. I don't mind Southgate, he comes across as a decent guy, but he's not a great coach/manager. That's primarily his job not being good at PR for the FA. For me I can't stand the majority of the players and the bullshit "its coming home" that the media push every 2 years. And on top of it all the football is dire. I'll watch the WC, like I've watched every major tournament since 86, but more to enjoy the football then to cheer England on.

28 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

No one hates England.

You’re creating an enemy that doesn’t exist.

Some people hate joyless football without end.

It just so happens that England is the prime suppler of joyless football without end.

200.gif

• Haha 2

I think I know what you mean. I have an uncle who’s a Leeds fan and he’s very nostalgic of what he calls the golden years of football. He’s 70 and despises England as they talk a big game but flop when they face a big decent team. He gave up on them a long time ago & prefers to watch any other team that play an free flowing attacking style of football.

Now… my cousins and I are all around 50 we are die hard loyal to our clubs (leics/manu/villa) but we will cheer on England…., reluctantly.

why?

we are still patriotic and proud of who we are and where we come from.

But it’s also the fear of disappointment. Just like in the song it’s the hope that kills you lol.

quite frankly it’s mentally exhausting watching England. I don’t believe the notion england aren’t good enough to win a tournament as the recent euros proved. There are a lot of factors that decide which team wins it. Luck is s part of it for sure but so is courage, belief, form, optimism and ability. Maybe gareth has brought that dream closer but I think his replacement will finally get us over the line if the FA choose wisely. 

my hope is that the mens team model themselves on how the womens england team approached the euros, played it and won it. It can be done and the template is there if gareth wants to follow it.

Had an England top on with my mates(All Brown boys) during the Gazza tournament  in a pub in Town

A group of "lads" rocked up asked us what we were doing watching England and basically told us to do one.

It was probably the last straw for me in about 30 years of little racist niggles.

Never supported England in anything since and love it when they lose!

Italy beating them in the Euros was epic for me and tte racist chats to the black lads just emphasised the embedded  racism here.

• Like 4

Despite the growing disconnect and disillusion that the international game has become, I'm still a hopeless romantic when it comes to England in major tournaments.

I admit to struggling for passion and enthusiasm for qualifiers and friendlies but that's due to modern day football and the way qualifying is so diluted in level of opposition, hopefully the Nations League is helping to improve that - not that England's results and performances in the last year or so in that regard are backing that up, if anything it's the opposite. Lack of motivation and priority of it.

Every time we play in a major tournament though I'm transported back to being 6 again when I fell in love with Italia 90, or 6 years later and 3 Lions and Britpop mania or Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney with their World at their feet in 1998 and 2004 respectively.

So even in a tournament that on paper looks a complete disaster and leaves an unsavoury taste in the mouth when thinking about who is hosting it, come the start of it I suspect I'll still get swept up in it, especially with Maddison going and Tielemans, Castagne and Faes in fine domestic form for us and their nation always a fascinating case of underchievement when the crunch games come.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

As we approach the WC the usual England haters are rearing their heads so I was wondering what makes them this way.

They tend to be older, and more cynical on the whole. Perhaps they became disillusioned during the many years of disappointment-the 70s were an international desert and Italia 90 and Euro 96 apart there was little to get too excited about. The early 2000s saw huge hype before big tournaments but the so called golden generation never really delivered. 

Things reached a low point between 2014-2016 but since then we’ve had the best run since 1966. 

Of course it might be nothing to do with this. George Orwell once said England was the only country where it had become unfashionable to be patriotic. Or it could just be excessive parochialism ie I’m Leicester, Blackburn, Sheffield or wherever but not English or British. Or it could be an anti big club sentiment, although Southgate actually comes out rather well compared to many recent managers on selecting players from outside the big six.

Either way it seems a shame and comes across to others as a bit of a kill-joy attitude. Why do people wear it like some kind of badge of honour I wonder?

I think there's a sense of having to overly support England because everyone else does.

Let's face it, the manager hasn't got a clue, he's just a corporate yes man.

We consistently under perform with the group of players we have and even when we win, it's mostly not entertaining. 

Preaches to pick players in form yet sticks to his usual big team players. Why are Harry Maguire and Kalvin Phillips going to the world Cup?

It must have killed him to take Madders. But due to the media attention and all the ex pro's putting pressure on, he probably felt he had no choice.

I dont hate England, but they don't excite me and I won't be walking around with my red and white face paint on.

I think a lot of people pretend to support England more than they do just because they feel they will fit in with all the hype.

Edited by adejo92
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

No one hates England.

You’re creating an enemy that doesn’t exist.

Some people hate joyless football without end.

It just so happens that England is the prime suppler of joyless football without end.

'Hate' might be a strong word for most of the feeling around other parts of the UK. Just because the Scots give England a mention in their modern anthem, it's only banter, init. 

Rather than being disinterested in the tournament, I'm more annoyed that its disrupting our domestic season. No build up, no excitement. However, by next week I'll be playing World in Motion, 3 Lions and Vindaloo. C'mon England. 

:englandsmile4wf:

10 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Part of the problem with supporting England is the brain-dead head bangers that follow them around. This is not the players fault just a symptom of a certain section of our disfunctioning society. I don't hate England but I despise some of our supporters.

Thats fair. 

I’m not an England hater, but I am just not interested in the National team at the moment. We play dull, boring football and are managed by a total dullard. There is a real lack of characters in the team.

If they played exciting, fast paced attacking football (that they have the players for), I would be more interested.

I don’t hate England but couldn’t care less about them. Would rather city win a corner in todays game than England won the World Cup. I support England in all other sports.

The football is boring of course but the crunch probably came for me when I went to an England match in Amsterdam. The away fans were a collection of frothing illiterate freaks from every club across the land, it was like any fan deemed too inbred for their own club follows England. Similar demographic at the euro semi final last summer. Couldn’t/can’t identify with that 

• Haha 3