Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Zear0

Formula 1 2023

Basically think the FIA wanted to end the race any way how it seems but very messy and chaotic as ever with these things !

Probably wish they hadn’t bothered after stopping the race and trying to re start it  originally for K-Mag’s crash .

Sure there will be a few long faces at Alpine and Sainz not happy but don’t think he can complain .

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

But also giving penalties for things that happened on the phantom lap.

Yeah exactly, surely it either didn't happen and the race restarts from the red flag, or it did and there's a one lap shoot out.

It's no doubt a complex one, but it astounds me how many times the FIA make a wild decision 

• Like 1

lol You can just tell from the room at the end that even though Hamilton and Alonso have a bitter on track rivalry there's respect and a bit of fondness there, but they both just think Verstappen is a bellend lol

Logical thing to me would just be to admit the restart was a shitshow, red flag after the incident and say race won't resume. Race finish is the order which they lined up for the final restart since they didn't finish sector 1. No one gets shat on that way, no one gets lucky. Alpine & Sainz quite rightly should be fuming 

34 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

lol You can just tell from the room at the end that even though Hamilton and Alonso have a bitter on track rivalry there's respect and a bit of fondness there, but they both just think Verstappen is a bellend lol

I think Verstappen is just a bit of an odd ****, he’s got a bit of haaland about him 

2 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I think Verstappen is just a bit of an odd ****, he’s got a bit of haaland about him 

Maybe, but I still think Haaland comes across as a likeable, friendly guy. I just get the impression most of the grid just think he's a bit of a twat and clearly have zero time for him. I've said a few times I think Horner is an awful person and I think having worked closely with him from a young age its rubbed off on Verstappen, plus his dad is a twat too.

Not sure why the media keep calling the end "controversial".  Start is only valid when a sector is complete and the race has to either complete the race distance or exceed the time limit.  Given the shambles of Spa and Abu Dhabi in 2021 I'm delighted they're actually now being meticulous on race rules and not just making stuff up on a whim.  All this pressure on the race directors is the complete opposite of what's needed given recent history and it's just individual teams having a hissy as it hasn't worked in their favour.

10 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Not sure why the media keep calling the end "controversial".  Start is only valid when a sector is complete and the race has to either complete the race distance or exceed the time limit.  Given the shambles of Spa and Abu Dhabi in 2021 I'm delighted they're actually now being meticulous on race rules and not just making stuff up on a whim.  All this pressure on the race directors is the complete opposite of what's needed given recent history and it's just individual teams having a hissy as it hasn't worked in their favour.

Dammed if they don' but dammed if they do.

Unfortunately the final re-start came after the cars had cold tyres so there was always a chance of a messy situation. 

1 hour ago, Zear0 said:

It’s definitely controversial. when no one knows what the restart procedure is for about 10 mins, it’s always gonna be controversial 

• Like 1

Just watched the race. A few points to make.  

No need for the first 2 red flags . The tyre could easily be retrieved under a safety car.

What's the point of a 2 lap restart.  Just call it a result.  

Channel 4 coverage is a lot better than sky. Palmer is an excellent pundit.

On 01/04/2023 at 18:21, Zear0 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/apr/01/verstappen-warns-he-wont-be-around-too-long-if-f1-make-more-race-changes

Well said Max.  Need the big names in the sport to call out these "added time multi-ball" gimmicks that are slowly being shoe horned into the sport for the Netflix lot.  The issue with retention of fans is not going to be solved by farting around with the format of the race weekend.  The new rules on aero and ground effect havn't exactly gone to plan, but they were well intentioned and what need to happen. Improve racing is the only thing and should be the sole focus.   Whilst the end of 2021 was what people remember, the racing for the season was phenomenal because it was competitive racing.

Reading about extending the Sprint format gives me cold flashbacks to when Bernie said they wanted to randomly spray water on the circuits.  No sir.

Would be perfect if the drivers decided Qually was Qually and the sprint they just followed each other round carefully so it stayed the same, see if the FIA stopped doing them.

Something that annoys me is the graphics, so Americanised "New Race Leader", no shit! 

1 hour ago, isaidno said:

Just watched the race. A few points to make.  

No need for the first 2 red flags . The tyre could easily be retrieved under a safety car.

What's the point of a 2 lap restart.  Just call it a result.  

Channel 4 coverage is a lot better than sky. Palmer is an excellent pundit.

Seemed to there for quite a while too.

Sure someone could have safely gone on and cleared up fairly quickly ?

FIA wanted to finish with a “race” but it backfired on them.

10 hours ago, browniefox said:

Would be perfect if the drivers decided Qually was Qually and the sprint they just followed each other round carefully so it stayed the same, see if the FIA stopped doing them.

Something that annoys me is the graphics, so Americanised "New Race Leader", no shit! 

I thought exactly the same when this popped up. With the lack of challenge at the front, and all the gimmicks that are coming into it, I'm fast losing interest.

The netflix crowd that F1 is trying to pander to is ruining the sport, couple that with the amount of American races we are going to have in 5 years time (cus this won't stop at Vegas), its just going to be a more hyped Indycar

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Off-topic, but really sad to see the news that Craig Breen has died in a testing crash before the Croatian round of the WRC. Always came across as a very likeable guy that owned his mistakes and shortcomings. Despite being a dangerous sport, it's very rare to see a top rally driver die at the peak of their career.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Changes to the Grand Prix weekend when there is a sprint race .

The qualifying and race will take place on the Saturday with qualifying for the actual GP on Friday !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/65389955

I bloody despise this sprint nonsence, but I guess it's easy to belittle changes before I see them (fun though) so I'll wait and see.  However...

Changing the format of a race weekend on a Tuesday of race week is ridiculous.

• Like 1