Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Chris Smalling

https://www.90min.com/posts/chris-smalling-stance-roma-exit-amid-premier-league-interest

Roma defender Chris Smalling is the subject of interest from several Premier League sides, sources have told 90min.

The centre-back has revived his career since leaving Manchester United in 2019, joining the Serie A giants on an initial loan before making the move permanent a year later.

Smalling is as important to Roma as ever at the age of 33, featuring in all but one game for them in all competitions so far this season.

90min understands that there are a number of English clubs looking to bring him back to his home country. High-flying Fulham - where Smalling began his professional career after joining from Maidstone United - are interested, as are Everton, Leicester and West Ham.

His contract expires in the summer though it retains a one-year extension option, and speaking to Sky Sport Italia, Smalling revealed his desire to stay in Rome.

"I am very confident [about staying]...I have an option to renew for one year but I hope to stay for more seasons," he said.

Smalling has become a cult hero at Roma during his four seasons with the club, helping them to Europa Conference League glory last summer.

He has continued to exceed under the guidance of former United manager Jose Mourinho, with Roma in a good position to return to the Champions League next season.

Not really an option I'd want to explore tbh. I know players are going on for longer so 33 isn't necessarily the death knell it once was, but I think people overlook the now quite frankly vast gulf between Serie A and the Premier League. Especially for defenders. Koulibaly has rocked up to Chelsea and been an absolute mess. Standing out in Serie A is one thing but you're playing at a slower pace and against inferior quality week in week out. The standard in Italy isn't there imo.  People always think of Juve, the Milans and now Napoli. They forget the league is propped up by teams like Salernitana, Cremonese, Spezia Calcio, Hellas Verona. So far this season, the majority of Romas games have come against the poorer sides. The only big side they've beaten is Inter, and they conceded in that. That's obviously not all on Smalling, I'm going off on a bit of a tangent, but being good in Italy isn't a great indicator for me of his ability to still do it in the Premier league. At least with Jonny Evans he was actually still performing in the division.

This is all moot, cos he'll be staying in Italy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JimJams said:

Not really an option I'd want to explore tbh. I know players are going on for longer so 33 isn't necessarily the death knell it once was, but I think people overlook the now quite frankly vast gulf between Serie A and the Premier League. Especially for defenders. Koulibaly has rocked up to Chelsea and been an absolute mess. Standing out in Serie A is one thing but you're playing at a slower pace and against inferior quality week in week out. The standard in Italy isn't there imo.  People always think of Juve, the Milans and now Napoli. They forget the league is propped up by teams like Salernitana, Cremonese, Spezia Calcio, Hellas Verona. So far this season, the majority of Romas games have come against the poorer sides. The only big side they've beaten is Inter, and they conceded in that. That's obviously not all on Smalling, I'm going off on a bit of a tangent, but being good in Italy isn't a great indicator for me of his ability to still do it in the Premier league. At least with Jonny Evans he was actually still performing in the division.

He's done well in continental competition too though... 

15 minutes ago, JimJams said:

In a fortnight where only one of the English sides won in Europe but all 7 of Italy’s remained unbeaten, I don’t think that’s the strongest argument. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

In a fortnight where only one of the English sides won in Europe but all 7 of Italy’s remained unbeaten, I don’t think that’s the strongest argument. 

I guess it's probably better to make judgement over more than a 2 week period then.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t blame him one bit for staying at Roma. Firstly, he’s in Rome. But secondly he was riled and derided for his performances in Manchester and they love him over there so why would he give all that up ? Probably only got 2-3 years left so better to do that at a club who loves him.