Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Voter Photo ID

1 minute ago, fox_favourite said:

Rodgers out!

To be fair, I didn’t know this, so is useful info. Thanks 

I assume you got a letter along with your voting card, explaining the new process? Or did you just chuck it in the recycling bin?

If I was being sceptical of this Hovernment I would say they are trying to phase out the younger population who probably dont yet have a driving license and some not having a passport either.

These would probably be more likely NOT to vote tories so helping them deduct a whole portion of the voting public for Labour.

Aunty Doris and Uncle Pete who voted Brexit and will vote Tory will have a driving license and a passport for their annual pilgrimage to Benidorm!!

That's if I was being sceptical of this Government,  which obviously  I'm not!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

seems a strange one. presumably to counter voter fraud, but is there any evidence of that happening on a large scale? I thought the postal voting was much more prone to abuse in any case?

This exactly. Why photo id when there are other forms with no way of knowing who actual cast the vote.

Just accept that 99% of people will be honest and that there has always been a small element of voting fraud, but which rarely has made any impact, in this country at least.

1 minute ago, Raj said:

If I was being sceptical of this Hovernment I would say they are trying to phase out the younger population who probably dont yet have a driving license and some not having a passport either.

These would probably be more likely NOT to vote tories so helping them deduct a whole portion of the voting public for Labour.

Aunty Doris and Uncle Pete who voted Brexit and will vote Tory will have a driving license and a passport for their annual pilgrimage to Benidorm!!

That's if I was being sceptical of this Government,  which obviously  I'm not!

If you take the letters of Raj, add some letters in, mix them round a little and then take some out, you get the word "sceptic".

Fact!

• Haha 1

Respect to anyone working a polling station on 04 May. There will be grumpy people everywhere and arguments ensuing throughout the day almost everywhere because of this.

It's ridiculous and unnecessary and I find it bewildering how many people on the internet seem to agree with this because "everyone (aka me and everyone I know rather than the real world) has SOME form of ID" and "rigged elections" as if we're under a military junta.

I hope to god any new government scraps this nonsense.

• Like 1

It's not just going to affect younger voters though, there will be a subset of older voters still using paper driving licenses and without passports. We had similar trouble sorting out my dad when the club wanted to see photo Id for the Tottenham game in the COVID season, had to email them to ask if an expired passport from the 1980s would be an acceptable form of id 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

& they say the OLD (over 50's) don't like change :crylaugh:

I love how mocking questions were asked on here why the UK didn't have a national warning system (the 1 being rolled out sunday) in place already as they are pretty standard place in other areas around the world despite not really needing 1, we don't get tsunami's, hurricane's, cyclones, typhoons, tornado's like in other parts of the world it's called a strong wind here, we don't sit on a fault line or have an active volcano, and none of our immediate neighbours want to bomb the fec out of us on a daily bases but we move with the times as climate change is affecting our weather systems coupled with other world potential events, no biggy.

Yet now being asked to prove who you are prior to voting causes up roar although this AGAIN is common place around the EU/World prior to casting a vote, again no biggy is it :dunno:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

I love how mocking questions were asked on here why the UK didn't have a national warning system (the 1 being rolled out sunday) in place already as they are pretty standard place in other areas around the world despite not really needing 1, we don't get tsunami's, hurricane's, cyclones, typhoons, tornado's like in other parts of the world it's called a strong wind here, we don't sit on a fault line or have an active volcano, and none of our immediate neighbours want to bomb the fec out of us on a daily bases but we move with the times as climate change is affecting our weather systems coupled with other world potential events, no biggy.

Yet now being asked to prove who you are prior to voting causes up roar although this AGAIN is common place around the EU/World prior to casting a vote, again no biggy is it :dunno:

Shame there was not the same attitude to changing the first past the post system. Probably hinders our democracy more than voter fraud.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

It is a "biggy" if the system deliberately discriminates against certain demographics of voters, such as the travelcard example.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

It is a "biggy" if the system deliberately discriminates against certain demographics of voters, such as the travelcard example.

Sorry, I don’t know what travelcard is - are people with those not allowed to get a picture ID?

Edited by marbles