Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

The ashes 2023

Sorry but that's completely ridiculous and this is becoming a parody of itself. Deliberately cutting runs from the board in the first innings of any Test match is simply arrogant beyond belief and they'd need to take about 4 wickets in this last 30 minutes for it to be worth it.

Can't believe what I've just seen there, call me old fashioned but that was a bizarre thing to do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

To be honest a couple of cheap wickets because they are jade from a day in the field is worth more then 10 or so runs.

Only reason to keep batting is if you were going to bat on tomorrow.

Yeah that's fair. Stopping before 400 was just bad for my OCD lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Sorry but that's completely ridiculous and this is becoming a parody of itself. Deliberately cutting runs from the board in the first innings of any Test match is simply arrogant beyond belief and they'd need to take about 4 wickets in this last 30 minutes for it to be worth it.

Can't believe what I've just seen there, call me old fashioned but that was a bizarre thing to do.

Not sure about that. They've always said they want to be bowling at the right times. End of a hot day could be an opportunity to pick up a wicket or two. 

Edited by RowlattsFox
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

It's not that bad? 

8 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

It called innovation.

Risk vs reward.

What have they risked 20-30 runs for the possibility of taking couple of top order wickets.

I love Test cricket, but it's dying on it arse outside of a couple of big series around the world.

Test cricket needs to be entertaining or it will not last as a form.

4 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Interesting to declare rather than just bat the innings out .

But guess this lot like do it differently!

Made sense to me, tricky last few overs could've picked up a wicket, a little risky but not much.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

It called innovation.

Risk vs reward.

What have they risked 20-30 runs for the possibility of taking couple of top order wickets.

I love Test cricket, but it's dying on it arse outside of a couple of big series around the world.

Test cricket needs to be entertaining or it will not last as a form.

Ey lol who do you think is going to tune in tomorrow that didn't today because of that.

It's called being too clever by half. They were only 8 down, those two were looking good to bat through.

I had to switch off for the last 15, how many did they get?

Edited by ealingfox

8 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Ey lol who do you think is going to tune in tomorrow that didn't today because of that.

It's called being too clever by half. They were only 8 down, those two were looking good to bat through.

I had to switch off for the last 15, how many did they get?

How many people are talk about this England side, kids aren't queuing up to be the next Boycott.

So which England do you prefer watching the one under Root playing traditional test cricket or the one under Stokes winning test with aggressive attack cricket?

You talk about being arrogant, the best teams and sport people are.

Edited by coolhandfox

18 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

How many people are talk about this England side, kids aren't queuing up to be the next Boycott.

So which England do you prefer watching the one under Root playing traditional test cricket or the one under Stokes winning test with aggressive attack cricket?

There's no way that non-cricket fans are talking about this England side more than any other sides. I switch on during the Ashes and I would be a target audience to try and get more interest in Cricket.

So I switch on to this "Brand new and exciting" England side....And I watch Ali and Broad walk out to bat just like when I last watched the Ashes, with one side batting all day and we're nowhere close to a result. Once Cricket fans accept Test Cricket is boring and dead, then maybe Cricket might just experience some growth. 

Cricket fans are off their rocker if they think kids are going to watch 40 hours of a pretty mundane and slow sport over a weekend in 2023. 

46 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

There's a lot of daylight between what England were doing without them declaring and Boycott.

They were already playing hyper aggressive cricket by Test standards without the declaration, they had a centurion at the crease slapping it about and Robinson looked steady enough. Them batting until the innings was over wouldn't have been a negative move, it was the first innings on the first day. It was just completely unnecessary for me and wasn't in the interests of maximising their chances of winning the game.

If they don't take 20 wickets in the game it won't be because of that decision.

I'll add that stopping just short of 400 instead of going past it was questionable psychologically.

Edited by ealingfox

30 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Shame Archer will never be a consistent member of the test team with his injuries because he'd be perfect for some hostile bowling if we're making a habit of these declarations to have a pop at them before close of play.

We badly need a hostile quick and a top class spinner. Anderson and Broad are amazing but we'll need a new attack in 12 months.

• Like 2

Personally, I think that declaration was pretty stupid (not arrogant) given that Root was still there. An extra 50 runs could be the difference at the end of the game and I don’t think we had enough overs to really make an impact. 

The pitch is slow and flat so we’d better hope we can pick up a couple early tomorrow or else we could still be looking at a deficit.

Edited by Lionator
  • Like 1

Whilst the declaration might seem shortsighted, I think a big part of decisions like this is to wrong foot the opposition, put them in positions they didn't expect, keep them guessing. Playing a form of cricket they're slightly uncomfortable with. Disrupting their normal thought processes.

It's a gamble for sure, but that is bazball all over.

I'm truly sorry to keep repeating myself here, but the simple truth is that the current style is:

1. Getting lots of people to talk about the game (possibly subjective)

and

2. Winning far more games than it loses or draws (absolutely not subjective and a matter of record)

People can of course complain about it if they want, but I wish I understood why someone would complain about a style that has up to the present time been so very successful for the team in a variety of ways, beyond the typical English propensity to have a moan.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Plastik Man said:

Whilst the declaration might seem shortsighted, I think a big part of decisions like this is to wrong foot the opposition, put them in positions they didn't expect, keep them guessing. Playing a form of cricket they're slightly uncomfortable with. Disrupting their normal thought processes.

It's a gamble for sure, but that is bazball all over.

Yep. It's an attempt to stamp our authority on the tone of the series early and have the Aussies second-guessing everything we might do over the next five games.

Of course, you have to counterbalance that with the fact that conventional psychological milestones like reaching 400 or batting into the second day are also still likely to be important in the minds of your opponents.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Moeen open this morning as a way of carrying on the mind games.