Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

The ashes 2023

9 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I'm truly sorry to keep repeating myself here, but the simple truth is that the current style is:

1. Getting lots of people to talk about the game (possibly subjective)

and

2. Winning far more games than it loses or draws (absolutely not subjective and a matter of record)

People can of course complain about it if they want, but I wish I understood why someone would complain about a style that has up to the present time been so very successful for the team in a variety of ways, beyond the typical English propensity to have a moan.

I think the reason I complain about it (well, I don't actually complain about it, I've just pretty much lost interest) is that I liked it when test matches and one day matches were different things, and in test matches you'd see people patiently build an innings over time (sometimes a lot of time) - the time taken being part of it because it was part of the tactics over the five days. There's always been a place for bish bash bosh cricket, but now there isn't really a place for much else, and for me, something of great value has been lost.

8 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

I think the reason I complain about it (well, I don't actually complain about it, I've just pretty much lost interest) is that I liked it when test matches and one day matches were different things, and in test matches you'd see people patiently build an innings over time (sometimes a lot of time) - the time taken being part of it because it was part of the tactics over the five days. There's always been a place for bish bash bosh cricket, but now there isn't really a place for much else, and for me, something of great value has been lost.

It's an interesting argument to make.

Personally I do still think Test cricket and one-day/T20 are still separate beasts tactically even with the ultra-attacking mentality that England have recently brought to it, there's just a need for different tactics, rather than less depth of them.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

I do still think Test cricket and one-day/T20 are still separate beasts tactically

This may be true (as I say, I've pretty much lost interest!), but I don't find them very different from each other any more as spectator experiences.

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

It's an interesting argument to make.

To be honest it isn't really an argument as such; just my own view of it.

I'm sure I'm in a tiny minority on this, but it turns out one of the main things I enjoyed about Test cricket was its slow, patient unfolding and developing over the five days. I liked there often being sessions which produced 60 runs and maybe one wicket. It made the dramatic sessions where a lot happened more meaningful.

For me, anyway. I'm not saying that it was objectively a better game in those days, but I certainly liked it more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

This may be true (as I say, I've pretty much lost interest!), but I don't find them very different from each other any more as spectator experiences.

To be honest it isn't really an argument as such; just my own view of it.

I'm sure I'm in a tiny minority on this, but it turns out one of the main things I enjoyed about Test cricket was its slow, patient unfolding and developing over the five days. I liked there often being sessions which produced 60 runs and maybe one wicket. It made the dramatic sessions where a lot happened more meaningful.

For me, anyway. I'm not saying that it was objectively a better game in those days, but I certainly liked it more.

Fair to say.

Speaking personally, while entertainment and the contest is important to me, I tend to watch Test cricket - and most other sport - to see the team I follow win. This style is both entertaining for me and seemingly facilitates that.

• Like 1

Just now, leicsmac said:

I tend to watch Test cricket - and most other sport - to see the team I follow win.

Ah. I watch football that way, always have, but cricket much less so.

I do think when I was young the cricket-watching audience was a lot less partisan. That may well be another part of what I miss about the old days.

• Like 1