Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Just Stop Oil

8 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Climate movements done by toffs will never catch on. Things will only change when the working classes are truly affected by climate change, by which time it’ll be too late, and politicians will gaslight them into thinking someone else is always to blame (aka migrants), is this already happening?

Yes, or rather than the politicians (from my own research policy is in favour of addressing the issue, just not in any way that is timely or strong enough) it's vested interests invested in maintaining the status quo no matter the cost to the future. Possibly because they think they'll be dead by the time it turns on them. possibly because they consider the hedonism they enjoy now to be worth their own lives and those of a great many other people down the line. Possibly because they think they can somehow survive it with their current level of comfort, which is frankly delusional.

10 minutes ago, Benguin said:

sensible. Im a hot head and i honestly cant imagine myself doing anything other than driving through them, obviously as safely as I can and with fair warning. I wonder whether you’d get off on necessity if you injured someone.

I think it would depend on how much you injured someone. Typically in legal defences the term reasonable force is used. If you bruised someone with your car squeezing past to get your dying child to hospital it would probably be classed as reasonable force. If you ran someone down because you were late for a vasectomy (i.e. a non urgent optional medical procedure) I think they would take the view that it was unreasonable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marbles said:

What kind of barbaric country are you people living in where prisoners are not allowed internet access?

It's a parody account.

Wayne Kerr lol

Edited by Tuna

6 hours ago, Daggers said:

So, it's fine to have a protest nobody ever sees or is inconvenienced by?

Are we in Hong Kong now?

I think we would prefer it if the people who make such decisions are the ones inconvenienced, instead of people trying to get to work etc.  Protest outside parliament.

• Like 2

Guest BlueBrett

Oil though really? Of all the protest worthy shit going on in the world this is the hill they wanna glue themselves to? Not buying for one second that this is an authentic grassroots organisation 

5 minutes ago, BlueBrett said:

Oil though really? Of all the protest worthy shit going on in the world this is the hill they wanna glue themselves to? Not buying for one second that this is an authentic grassroots organisation 

If there is currently a bigger contributing factor than extracting oil and using it in power generation to a bigger problem than a billion people being left without food and potable water due to climate change caused by that oil (and other) based power generation, I;d like to hear it.

There can be disagreement on the methods, but I'm not entirely sure what problem is a higher priority in terms of potential suffering and death right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

I think we would prefer it if the people who make such decisions are the ones inconvenienced, instead of people trying to get to work etc.  Protest outside parliament.

I’m sure, but how does that have an impact? The bloke with the signs has been protesting at parliament about Brexit for years. Nobody cares. It’s futile.

But tell me how it inconveniences you again? lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I’m sure, but how does that have an impact? The bloke with the signs has been protesting at parliament about Brexit for years. Nobody cares. It’s futile.

But tell me how it inconveniences you again? lol

I have to keep seeing it on the news.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BlueBrett said:

This is the biggest problem with JSO. They are not protesting against Oil, despite the name. They are protesting the governments decision to grant hundreds of new oil licenses despite the government saying they would not do this.

All it needs for the protests to stop is for the government to simply do what they promised to do at the Paris climate accord. 

• Like 1

Guest BlueBrett
On 26/07/2023 at 04:52, leicsmac said:

If there is currently a bigger contributing factor than extracting oil and using it in power generation to a bigger problem than a billion people being left without food and potable water due to climate change caused by that oil (and other) based power generation, I;d like to hear it.

There can be disagreement on the methods, but I'm not entirely sure what problem is a higher priority in terms of potential suffering and death right now.

Fossil fuels currently the cheapest and most reliable form of energy available to people in the developing world and far less harmful to the environment than the makeshift alternatives people have been forced to turn to due to all these crazy 'green' policies. Limiting the supply/production of oil has a disproportionately severe effect on the poorest people on the planet.

As I understand it we only have a finite supply of these resources anyway, perhaps enough for another 3 generations or so. Anyone really anticipate a climate catastrophe in that timeframe? Surely it would make sense to be thankful for this window of opportunity and make use of it to research and develop genuinely viable energy alternatives rather than hamstringing industry and entire developing nations with these moralistic, inadequately thought through and frankly imperialist policies.

As for things that concern me more, I personally find our steady march towards a panopticon society much more scary than subtle changes in the weather which may or may not be attributable to human activity.

57 minutes ago, BlueBrett said:

another 3 generations or so. Anyone really anticipate a climate catastrophe in that timeframe?

Surely it would make sense to be thankful for this window of opportunity

much more scary than subtle changes in the weather which may or may not be attributable to human activity.

:jawdrop:

• Like 1

Firstly, thank you for the response. There's a lot to unpack here so I'm going to go line by line.

47 minutes ago, BlueBrett said:

Fossil fuels currently the cheapest and most reliable form of energy available to people in the developing world and far less harmful to the environment than the makeshift alternatives people have been forced to turn to due to all these crazy 'green' policies.

Assuming for a moment that fossil fuels do remain the cheapest form at the present time (which might not be true anyway, citation needed), using them will only present a much much larger bill in the future, in the form of damage to infrastructure and to human life by increased incidents of flooding, drought, famine, war and disease brought about by increasing global average temperature directly linked to their use. It's short-term thinking at best.

49 minutes ago, BlueBrett said:

Limiting the supply/production of oil has a disproportionately severe effect on the poorest people on the planet.

If the above is true then I would agree, so the richer nations actually have to step up to the plate and do their bit by helping them get renewable infrastructure in place here, or everyone pays much, much more later, as per above.

51 minutes ago, BlueBrett said:

As I understand it we only have a finite supply of these resources anyway, perhaps enough for another 3 generations or so.

Sorry, this isn't true. We have more than enough polycrystalline silicon to build solar panels, and wind/wave/tidal tech requires resources that are trivial to source and plentiful. Radioisotopes for nuclear energy are the same, and with respect to storage the supply of lithium for lithium ion batteries being difficult is a supply-side issue, there's more than enough lithium available, we just need to get at it.

55 minutes ago, BlueBrett said:

Anyone really anticipate a climate catastrophe in that timeframe?

In 3 generations?

....given the data from the past couple of years it's imminent or it may already have begun. Unless the summers of 2022 and 2023 (so far) are some kind of bizarre statistical outlier in terms of extreme events such as wildfires, drought and flooding driven by increasing average temperatures that are costly to life and property that will somehow correct itself in 2024 and 2025, rather than simply getting more extreme.

58 minutes ago, BlueBrett said:

Surely it would make sense to be thankful for this window of opportunity and make use of it to research and develop genuinely viable energy alternatives rather than hamstringing industry and entire developing nations with these moralistic, inadequately thought through and frankly imperialist policies.

We had a window of opportunity 20 years ago but vested interests and Joe Bloggs on the street didn't want to listen and didn't want to get hit in the wallet. Perhaps we still have such a window to mitigate the worst effects and save as many lives as we can, but that is closing rapidly. I'd be interested in what you mean by "genuinely viable alternatives" - if you mean nuclear, both fission and fusion, then I would agree and that needs to be part of the solution, alongside renewable sources, in order to phase out coal, oil and gas for energy generation ASAP.

1 hour ago, BlueBrett said:

As for things that concern me more, I personally find our steady march towards a panopticon society much more scary than subtle changes in the weather

A very human thought - but sadly misguided. It is a matter of statistical fact that natural events cause more human death and suffering that any human agency could hope of doing. For example, one transmissible and preventable disease (malaria) - one, by itself - took more lives in the 20th century than all of the despots, warmongers and believers in that authoritarian "panopticon" society put together (WWI, WWII, the Purges, the Holocaust, The Cultural Revolution, all other wars, all of it). Of course, as before, it is a very human thing to think that other humans are our greatest threat when the airtime and various media are filled with stories of humans doing terrible things to each other, but when it comes to preventable death and suffering, short of all-out nuclear holocaust, nature has us beaten not by a furlong, but by the entire home straight. Frankly, you're fearing the wrong thing, but I don't blame you for doing so. I do however ask you to consider the perspective a little more.

1 hour ago, BlueBrett said:

subtle changes in the weather which may or may not be attributable to human activity.

If the current changes and news about those changes are believed to be somehow "subtle", I wouldn't mind hearing what you'd believe to be "blatant". Wildfires across all of the Americas? The entirety of India, Pakistan and most of China and SE Asia underwater through flooding?

And WRT human activity:

http:// https://www.nature.com/articles/srep21691

"Our study unambiguously shows one-way causality between the total Greenhouse Gases and GMTA (Global Mean Temperature Anomalies). Specifically, it is confirmed that the former, especially CO2, are the main causal drivers of the recent warming."

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/ac2966?454b5589_page=2&70ef0ed6_page=2&c0d8a10d_page=2&454b5589_page=2&70ef0ed6_page=3&c0d8a10d_page=2

"We conclude with high statistical confidence that the scientific consensus on human-caused contemporary climate change—expressed as a proportion of the total publications—exceeds 99% in the peer reviewed scientific literature."

The conclusions from the entirety of the scientific community are obvious and clear. Unless they are somehow all so incompetent they've collectively got it wrong or so corrupt they're all in the pockets of people unknown, then climate change is both happening and being pushed as a direct result of human activity. Anyone who infers otherwise, unless they have compelling literature of their own that everyone else influential has somehow missed, is pretty arguing that the Earth is flat.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

The conclusions from the entirety of the scientific community are obvious and clear. Unless they are somehow all so incompetent they've collectively got it wrong or so corrupt they're all in the pockets of people unknown, then climate change is both happening and being pushed as a direct result of human activity.

As someone working in scientific research primarily working with weather data, I dread to think how little I’d be payed if it wasn’t for the mysterious cabal and their hush money.

It’s not a field you see people getting rich in, we must just take enormous satisfaction with pulling the wool over everybody’s eyes…

/s

• Haha 1