Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Just Stop Oil

Sorry but the 'Just Stop Oil' protestor throwing confetti on Osbourne and his wife was an obviously staged distraction to remedy the issue with the email circulated to all the guests. And its worked like an absolute charm.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Sorry but the 'Just Stop Oil' protestor throwing confetti on Osbourne and his wife was an obviously staged distraction to remedy the issue with the email circulated to all the guests. And its worked like an absolute charm.

My thoughts too. They’ve used paint, powder, stuff that either stains or makes a nightmare of a mess. A weak smattering of confetti that can be easily brushed off isn’t much of a statement.

On 29/05/2023 at 21:33, grobyfox1990 said:

Great article, don't let these morons or any others gaslight you into thinking work isn't being done: 

While the climate fight is far from won, there is cause for cautious optimism. In 2022, the EU produced more power from wind and solar than from gas. The US Inflation Reduction Act marked the single largest-ever climate action taken by the world’s largest historical emitter of greenhouse gases. Global climate pledges, including from developing nations, have reached the point where they would keep the world well below 2C of warming if fully implemented.

Climate investments have also weathered the broader market slump. Last year saw a record near $500bn invested in renewable energy. There were over 1,000 venture and growth equity investments into climate start-ups in 2022; the number of deals grew in every quarter, with over $40bn deployed.

These dramatic shifts in infrastructure, policy and finance are supported by a subtle, but powerful, force: a good narrative. Climate action is no longer just righteous, it is now the stuff of exciting careers. This is no longer a field only for engineers and scientists.

Narratives can create a virtuous circle of action. Pioneering governments and companies kick-started markets for lower-carbon products and services; the economic logic for climate action encouraged entrepreneurs and investors to enter a visibly thriving sector, leading to more ambitious net zero commitments and investment.

That’s all well and good unless you scratch beneath the surface. A lot of energy produced under the Green umbrella is anything but. You have recycling plants burning shit and harvesting the energy getting green subsidies. Wood pellet plants burning, yes wood and getting green subsidies and each one produces more co2 than coal, oil or gas. It beggars belief. 
Did anyone watch the panorama documentary on the Drax power plant? They are cutting down trees to make pellets, the whole thing is a scam.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Strokes said:

That’s all well and good unless you scratch beneath the surface. A lot of energy produced under the Green umbrella is anything but. You have recycling plants burning shit and harvesting the energy getting green subsidies. Wood pellet plants burning, yes wood and getting green subsidies and each one produces more co2 than coal, oil or gas. It beggars belief. 
Did anyone watch the panorama documentary on the Drax power plant? They are cutting down trees to make pellets, the whole thing is a scam.

I read a good guardian article on it. A lot of the trees were coming from the Pacific North West. It's ****ing mental. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Strokes said:

11 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

I read a good guardian article on it. A lot of the trees were coming from the Pacific North West. It's ****ing mental. 

Yes. Such "biofuels" are often a con.

Which is why the emphasis must be on solar, wind, wave and other renewables and Gen III/IV fission. We don't have to burn anything to generate power, this really shouldn't still be the Neolithic Era.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

Yeah quite possibly, the documentary was focused on Colombia if remember right but I doubt it’s isolated to one region.

It’s absolutely mental that we are paying billions of pounds in subsidies for dirtier power. It’s a scam.

3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yeah quite possibly, the documentary was focused on Colombia if remember right but I doubt it’s isolated to one region.

It’s absolutely mental that we are paying billions of pounds in subsidies for dirtier power. It’s a scam.

It sounds like just another case of greed and short-term self-interest fvcking stuff over.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

In a nutshell yep, most scams are based on greed.

Which in this matter only ends up being self destructive to the scammer along with lots of collateral damage anyway. Though that sounds like a lot of long term outcomes of situations where greed is a motive.

On 09/07/2023 at 13:44, Wymsey said:

Am not sure if they're telling the truth or not on this, really..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66146877

Feel a bit sorry for the Osbourne's, given it was meant to be one of the happiest days of their lives.

I wouldn’t worry about that. George made sure it was a day full of false happiness and face saving. 

On 09/07/2023 at 13:44, Wymsey said:

Am not sure if they're telling the truth or not on this, really..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66146877

Feel a bit sorry for the Osbourne's, given it was meant to be one of the happiest days of their lives.

Tell that to the 300,000 who died unnecessarily, and their families. I couldn't care less about his feelings.

5 hours ago, tom27111 said:

The article states that some glued themselves to the road again.

If that's the case and I ever encounter them, I will actually piss on them whilst they're stuck to the tarmac.

When ya gotta go, ya gotta go.

I agree that the current things being done are counterproductive, and, more importantly, ineffective.

Thing is though, if they were to do something that would have a chance of making politicians act in the way needed, that would probably come under the heading of "terrorism". And the efficacy of that is hardly guaranteed, either.

So if anyone has any ideas on how to actually overcome human apathy and short-term self-interest and actually get things moving in the way required in order to stop very bad things happening pretty damn soon, I'm all ears.

• Like 1

They need capable PR. It can't just be people glued to a road. They need someone there clearly and calmly explaining why. Often posed as questions to get people thinking. EG: have you noticed it's hotter? How do you feel about energy bills rising? Are you worried about not being able to heat your home?

Disruption only works if it stops people going back to how they acted before or changes behaviour.

10 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

They need capable PR. It can't just be people glued to a road. They need someone there clearly and calmly explaining why. Often posed as questions to get people thinking. EG: have you noticed it's hotter? How do you feel about energy bills rising? Are you worried about not being able to heat your home?

Disruption only works if it stops people going back to how they acted before or changes behaviour.

I'm caught in two minds about this: absolutely the matter needs more capable science communication, but then at the same time the same communication has been going on for some time now and while there has been change in attitude both at public and policy level, it's simply not happening fast enough - the numbers are clear there.

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

You don’t think people have been trying to have sensible science led discussions about climate change for 40-50 years already? It hasn’t worked. 

I’m not one for saying we must do disruptive protests at first port of call, but I also think the “let’s have a reasonable debate” argument (not just about climate change, but true with other things too like Brexit and covid for example) are kind of just facilitating the status quo. People have been trying this and while it may have got a minority on board, most of the general public don’t care/understand/aren’t convinced by the scientific arguments/can’t sift between genuine science and the junk science that’s out there in the internet age 

• Like 4