Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

35 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

win on monday and the scene is set for will alves to score the goal that relegates blackburn, rustles their whole fan base and takes up the mantle from Vardy as the new team bastard 

Nah, never our Will :wub:

If we have had an underwhelming season then so have Leeds and Southampton. 

I don't tend to disagree with them, but more because of how impressively Enzo got our act together from the off only for us to toil when we should have been in a position of strength.

Anyway, fcuk um. Let's get up and get gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

So in essence, your judging what has on the whole been a highly successful season, on a period of maybe 10 games?

A small period where we lost 6 games, 5 of which by a single goal and one where had a linesman not messed up we’d have surely won.

Also, during that really poor period we knocked a decent premier league side out of the FA Cup and ran another close with 10 men.

We've still got to finish the job off, but if we can win the last two games. I don’t think anyone can say a league title, 100 points, an FA Cup final and a return to the Premier League has been underwhelming.

If you’ve watched any amount of championship football over the past 20 odd years, and seen the way some relegated teams have struggled, our achievements this season (if we get there) are anything but just par. 

As said, I'm not disputing the fact the job done has been fundamentally decent, I'm not a doom and gloom merchant who's persistently unhappy. I've obviously been broadly chuffed with it appears we're going back up and the players and manager deserve a lot of credit. Perhaps its me looking at what might have been given where we found ourselves at the start of February (which is probably unfair, I'll admit) - but I'd underline that myself being underwhelmed does not mean I'm unhappy with everything.

Just now, Les-TA-Jon said:

I'm not giving Enzo excuses for some of the unforced errors he made in our tough periods, but I think the combination of Ndidi missing, Casadei recalled and the financial information releasing can't of helped! 

I agree, it can't have helped. Also momentum shifts fast in football, that's why it's hard for fans to accept unwavering belief and refusal to change things from managers when the momentum does shift. But that's possibly failing to understand without assurance and clarity in your own mind as a manager, success/momentum in the first place is harder to achieve and certainly harder to do repeatedly.

Looking at the total points for the top 3 in the Championship since it began in 2004/5, there have only been 4 instances where the final tally has exceeded what the top 3 have already got between them so far this season. Thus far, 273 points have been accrued, which is only 7 short of the highest previous end-of-season total of 280. That was in 2013/14, when City were champions with 102 points. The average points total of the top 3 over the past 19 seasons is 264, so already that figure has been exceeded, 88 points being the average individual number of the top 3 overall. With 7 games for the 3 clubs left to play, the maximum total would go up to 294, if every game were won. That would mean the top 3 averaging 98 points each, 10 more than the previous average, with the possibility that Leeds in 3rd place on 96 points could fail to get promoted, ho-ho!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lineker's Left Foot said:

Yeah just posted that tweet on their in their forum under the User Name Leicesterfox - now I know how Vards feels when he celebrates and gets ‘abuse’

Got a link to their meltdowns from your post?

18 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

If we have had an underwhelming season then so have Leeds and Southampton. 

I don't tend to disagree with them, but more because of how impressively Enzo got our act together from the off only for us to toil when we should have been in a position of strength.

Anyway, fcuk um. Let's get up and get gone.

We've had a rough spell. All teams have, we could still win it on 100 points. The top 3 teams will finish on 90+ points. 

Underwhelming? We'd have all jumped at this back in August.

Let's get the job done

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Also, during that really poor period we knocked a decent premier league side out of the FA Cup and ran another close with 10 men.

We've still got to finish the job off, but if we can win the last two games. I don’t think anyone can say a league title, 100 points, an FA Cup final and a return to the Premier League has been underwhelming.

If you’ve watched any amount of championship football over the past 20 odd years, and seen the way some relegated teams have struggled, our achievements this season (if we get there) are anything but just par. 

Oh shit, did I miss a trip to Wembley?

Edited by Death by Football
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Clocked off work and it’s the weekend again! What does it look like?

Saturday 5:00am QPR v Leeds - Leeds lose - we’re up! Leeds draw, we leave them needing to win their last game, and see us lose both of our games - they’d also need a 5 goal swing in their favour too.

Sunday morning 5:00 Hull v Ipswich - nothing can happen on the back of this game, but if Ipswich drop any points and we collect 3 on Tuesday then we are Champions!!!!

Tuesday Morning: Preston v Leicester, who cares what the other results are - win and we’re up!!!!

I hate that I have to wait until Tuesday for our game! But I’m bloody excited for this weekend. Let’s hope we can wrap promotion up before the final day.

Beats 3am kickoff anyway.  3am is shit, its not a stay up late, its not a get up early, its just shit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Let's get this done tonight. I mean I know we're not playing and have no influence on events at Loftus Road and all that, but if we show the right attitude we should be promoted by by 10pm this evening. Anything less is unacceptable. 

If we don't get promoted tonight, I'm gonna start a new 'Sack him' thread

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

I'm not giving Enzo excuses for some of the unforced errors he made in our tough periods, but I think the combination of Ndidi missing, Casadei recalled and the financial information releasing can't of helped!

Certainly 2 of those 3 will have been a factor,  except for Casadei leaving he looked lazy as shite and I'm pretty sure he didn't want to be here and I'd not be surprised if it was his choice to go back (though officially he was recalled). He achieved very little.